5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay weirdness

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got an iPhone back around January. 14 Pro Max. I got an Ottocast wireless CarPlay adapter almost right away.

It has been basically working fine ever since. Until the last few days.

Starting a few days ago, my iPhone would not connect via wireless. I tried everything, even to the point of unplugging the Ottocast from the USB port and leaving it unplugged while the truck was parked overnight, plus rebooting my iPhone. I also tried "forgetting" the Bluetooth pairing from the phone to the Ottocast and redoing it.

I used a USB-C cable to connect the phone to the truck wired yesterday and that still worked.

With the Ottocast, the truck would show that the Ottocast was connected to CarPlay. I.e. the Uconnect shows the CarPlay icon at the bottom, and pressing it would show the Ottocast screen on the Uconnect display. But, it acted like my phone was not connecting to the Ottocast.

Today, I tried moving Ottocast's USB connector from the right hand USB socket to the left hand one. Suddenly Wireless CarPlay started working again! So weird.

I have not tried moving the Ottocast back to the other USB socket yet.

cervelo15

Reaction score
So i had a similar issue when plugging the wire into the first USB port, and it wasnt related to wireless carplay adapter. i had a wired connection to the phone and all of a sudden one day the port stopped working. So i plugged it into the second usb-c port and it started working.

I did see some writeups that if you use a knock-off amazon special cable to connect anything to these trucks, it goofs it up. So as soon as i switched to a genuine licensed Apple cable, everything started working.

So I'm not 100% sure if it was the port or the cable i was using. But i'd try to make sure you're using a genuine Apple cable.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Eventually, I moved the Ottocast back to the original USB port and it has continued to work.

I have no solid proof of what was going on. But, my suspicion is that I got an OTA update to my Uconnect that broke wireless CarPlay. Then, they figured that out and I got another OTA update that fixed it.

I have no evidence to support that, other than that I didn't change anything and it wouldn't work and then it started working again after a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread