5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless CarPlay and video streaming on 12” screen

WilburNJ

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just wanted to share with you all that I bought and installed the MMB Wireless CarPlay UBS Dongle Plus today. I allows for wireless CarPlay (there are few dongles out there that do this, I guess). But, I think this might be the only one that does video casting from both iphone and android phones. Here are links to 3 videos that provide demos of each feature: wireless CarPlay, YouTube casting from an iphone, and YouTube casting from an android phone.

It works “okay” at best. A bit clunky. Maybe firmware updates over time will make it work more smoothly….

Last edited:

RamSATX

Reaction score
"Okay" at best?? Dude! That's a game changer! If I may ask, what are your gripes about it?

WilburNJ

Reaction score
"Okay" at best?? Dude! That's a game changer! If I may ask, what are your gripes about it?
Yeah, maybe just some “first world” complaining on my part. :)

A few issues:

- takes a long time for wireless CarPlay to kick in, probably like 2 minutes or so
- when I don’t want CarPlay, like when I’m driving using the built-in nav on the 12” screen, wireless CarPlay just randomly turns on
- wireless CarPlay will randomly turn off
- after getting in the car one time, all audio on the 12” head unit wouldn’t work. SiriusXM kept hunting, FM/AM appeared to get signal, but volume knob was stuck at level 12 and wouldn’t move (no sound at 12, by the way). A couple of engine restarts after removing the unit and everything went back to normal. It’s been working fine since.
- takes a lot of effort to get casting from iPhone to work. But casting from android is a breeze
- but getting to casting mode takes a couple of minutes and several on-screen button pushes.

Not the end of the world, but a bit annoying to use. Maybe I’ll get used to it or MMB will update over time. Anyway, today is my second day using it and I’ll report back after a few more days of use.

Also, I’m going to try it in my wife’s Mustang Mach-E, which has an enormous screen. I bet the casting on that screen will be pretty sweet.

Last edited:

RamSATX

Reaction score
Yeah, maybe just some “first world” complaining on my part. :)

A few issues:

- takes a long time for wireless CarPlay to kick in, probably like 2 minutes or so
- when I don’t want CarPlay, like when I’m driving using the built-in nav on the 12” screen, wireless CarPlay just randomly turns on
- wireless CarPlay will randomly turn off
- after getting in the car one time, all audio on the 12” head unit wouldn’t work. SiriusXM kept hunting, FM/AM appeared to get signal, but volume knob was stuck at level 12 and wouldn’t move (no sound at 12, by the way). A couple of engine restarts after removing the unit and everything went back to normal. It’s been working fine since.
- takes a lot of effort to get casting from iPhone to work. But casting from android is a breeze
- but getting to casting mode takes a couple of minutes and several on-screen button pushes.

Not the end of the world, but a bit annoying to use. Maybe I’ll get used to it or MMB will update over time. Anyway, today is my second day using it and I’ll report back after a few more days of use.

Also, I’m going to try it in my wife’s Mustang Mach-E, which has an enormous screen. I bet the casting on that screen will be pretty sweet.

Appreciate the break down. Those bugs alone might sway me from getting it at that price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NonToxic628

Reaction score
Have you tried any other services other than YouTube? In particular, my boys like watching Twitch and having it in the car might be helpful. I have a Carplay2air and the only thing preventing my from trying this is the lack of reviews I’ve been able to find.

vsimon

Reaction score
what is that nob on your trailer brake controller?

Saints

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just wanted to share with you all that I bought and installed the MMB Wireless CarPlay UBS Dongle Plus today. I allows for wireless CarPlay (there are few dongles out there that do this, I guess). But, I think this might be the only one that does video casting from both iphone and android phones. Here are links to 3 videos that provide demos of each feature: wireless CarPlay, YouTube casting from an iphone, and YouTube casting from an android phone.

It works “okay” at best. A bit clunky. Maybe firmware updates over time will make it work more smoothly….
Dang that’s pretty awesome if they get the bugs worked out.

What phone mount are you using and how is it connected?

WilburNJ

Reaction score
Have you tried any other services other than YouTube? In particular, my boys like watching Twitch and having it in the car might be helpful. I have a Carplay2air and the only thing preventing my from trying this is the lack of reviews I’ve been able to find.
sorry, i dont think i tried anything else. I’ll try whatever video app i can a bit later and report back.

WilburNJ

Reaction score
Dang that’s pretty awesome if they get the bugs worked out.

What phone mount are you using and how is it connected?
Thanks, I hope they have some updates soon.

Regarding the phone mount, I just checked on Amazon and it’s no longer available. It‘s made by some company called FlePow. Maybe it’ll come back again…

Users who are viewing this thread