5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wire damage on 2019 Laramie V8 non ETorque error code P3425

jman307

Reaction score
Good day. I had a rodent damage my wiring that goes to the MDS solenoid underneath the intake manifold. Parts and labor I"m getting qoated around $1000 because of the time involved for pre and post maintenance due to the location of the issue. The engine check light is on and error code P3425 Cylinder 4 Deactivation Control Circuit downloaded. Dealership is telling me zero issues with safety/reliability because the truck's computer has disabled the 4 cylinder deactivation mode until the problem is repaired and the computer is happy again. So my question, would you get this repaired or deal with the engine check light and not worry? I personally dislike when MDS kicks in and out so to me it's not a big deal at all, just want to make sure if anyone has any feedback thanks!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good day. I had a rodent damage my wiring that goes to the MDS solenoid underneath the intake manifold. Parts and labor I"m getting qoated around $1000 because of the time involved for pre and post maintenance due to the location of the issue. The engine check light is on and error code P3425 Cylinder 4 Deactivation Control Circuit downloaded. Dealership is telling me zero issues with safety/reliability because the truck's computer has disabled the 4 cylinder deactivation mode until the problem is repaired and the computer is happy again. So my question, would you get this repaired or deal with the engine check light and not worry? I personally dislike when MDS kicks in and out so to me it's not a big deal at all, just want to make sure if anyone has any feedback thanks!
I mean, if you don't want the check engine light, you can either get the wiring repaired, or pay for an unlocked PCM and MDS delete tune.

It seems some trucks must be worse than others with MDS. On my truck, I barely notice when MDS comes on. If it wasnt for the light on the dash I'd hardly ever notice. I actually turned the light on because I didn't think it was ever coming on when I first got the truck.

jman307

Reaction score
I mean, if you don't want the check engine light, you can either get the wiring repaired, or pay for an unlocked PCM and MDS delete tune.

It seems some trucks must be worse than others with MDS. On my truck, I barely notice when MDS comes on. If it wasnt for the light on the dash I'd hardly ever notice. I actually turned the light on because I didn't think it was ever coming on when I first got the truck.
I get a clunk sound and feel it occasionally when it kick in to 8 cyl from 4 cyl. Not frequent but enough where I don’t like it. Also I get the feeling when in 4 cyl the engine will lug for a few seconds before ot kicks back into 8 cyl. Does not inspire engine reliability long term

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online