5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wiper Blades - Best of

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
Hi all,

So just wanted to speak about something that I believe to be one of the best modifications you can do to any vehicle greatly enhancing rain driving safety.

I've tried multiple wiper blades (Bosch, Armor all silicones, Trico, OEM, etc) because I'm super picky on the function of the wipers. I hate chatter and streaking, believe that wipers shouldn't even be heard going across the windshield and should effectively keep the water off the windshield without digging into the glass over time.

On my 2015 Outdoorsman (Owned until July this year) I had PIAA Super Silicone Wipers on the same day I picked it up. These wipers IMO are by far the best performing, safest and even with the extreme price best value. They come with a prep pad that you apply to the whole windshield before you put them on (98% alcohol 2% silica) which basically makes the glass bead off water immediately. Now the beauty of these wipers, the super silicone compound does not streak what so ever but every time they wipe they essentially keep the water beading properties of the windshield going, to the point where I barely even had to use the wipers in downpours. The wipers lasted me two years easily with normal use and I was driving about 35-40k km a year.

Also, once in a while, the best outside glass cleaner I used was Stoner Invisible Glass with rain repellent to bump up the beading.

Let me tell you, driving at highway speeds in a crazy downpour, I don't have to use the wipers at all, look over and see peoples wipers going at full speed.

So much safer to have the water bead off to the point that using the wipers was actually worse for vision if you can believe that...

Just my two cents and hopefully it helps save some accidents.

I don't know how to post a video but I wish I did so I could show you what in talking about with the beading.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just throw on OEM blades when I need them. I leave the wipers on automatic and let them wipe at whatever speed it picks. I use glass cleaner on the insides and just dry off the outside after washing. I keep my vehicles clean all the time and don't spend anymore time on the windshield than any other area.

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
I just throw on OEM blades when I need them. I leave the wipers on automatic and let them wipe at whatever speed it picks. I use glass cleaner on the insides and just dry off the outside after washing. I keep my vehicles clean all the time and don't spend anymore time on the windshield than any other area.
I think that's what most people do and that's what I used to do too. Try it out, it may change your mind! At least the Stoner Invisible Glass with rain repellent... I did it on one side only to compare the difference in rain and it's night and day.

CJR28

Reaction score
Hi all,

So just wanted to speak about something that I believe to be one of the best modifications you can do to any vehicle greatly enhancing rain driving safety.

I've tried multiple wiper blades (Bosch, Armor all silicones, Trico, OEM, etc) because I'm super picky on the function of the wipers. I hate chatter and streaking, believe that wipers shouldn't even be heard going across the windshield and should effectively keep the water off the windshield without digging into the glass over time.

On my 2015 Outdoorsman (Owned until July this year) I had PIAA Super Silicone Wipers on the same day I picked it up. These wipers IMO are by far the best performing, safest and even with the extreme price best value. They come with a prep pad that you apply to the whole windshield before you put them on (98% alcohol 2% silica) which basically makes the glass bead off water immediately. Now the beauty of these wipers, the super silicone compound does not streak what so ever but every time they wipe they essentially keep the water beading properties of the windshield going, to the point where I barely even had to use the wipers in downpours. The wipers lasted me two years easily with normal use and I was driving about 35-40k km a year.

Also, once in a while, the best outside glass cleaner I used was Stoner Invisible Glass with rain repellent to bump up the beading.

Let me tell you, driving at highway speeds in a crazy downpour, I don't have to use the wipers at all, look over and see peoples wipers going at full speed.

So much safer to have the water bead off to the point that using the wipers was actually worse for vision if you can believe that...

Just my two cents and hopefully it helps save some accidents.

I don't know how to post a video but I wish I did so I could show you what in talking about with the beading.
How do the PIAA’s handle the cold weather? Are they as effective against snow and ice? Im in this dilemma now as my OEM blades are starting to leave a line on the glass after use

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rain x latitude wipers for me....we get monsoon here in the desert where it REALLY pours the H2O. That..and these wipers survive the desert heat..

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
How do the PIAA’s handle the cold weather? Are they as effective against snow and ice? Im in this dilemma now as my OEM blades are starting to leave a line on the glass after use
I know the line in the glass you are talking about exactly, after the 5 years with my last truck that line didn't exist with the PIAA's and some moderate care. Winter performance, so I live in Ontario and travel up north a bit in the winter, up to Algonquin area (Real cold) and they still held up fantastically. Naturally they will freeze like every other wiper in rain then freeze condition, but once thawed they work great again. The Super Silicone compound instead of natural rubber tends to stay more pliable in the cold similiar to a winter vs summer tire compound.

CJR28

Reaction score
I know the line in the glass you are talking about exactly, after the 5 years with my last truck that line didn't exist with the PIAA's and some moderate care. Winter performance, so I live in Ontario and travel up north a bit in the winter, up to Algonquin area (Real cold) and they still held up fantastically. Naturally they will freeze like every other wiper in rain then freeze condition, but once thawed they work great again. The Super Silicone compound instead of natural rubber tends to stay more pliable in the cold similiar to a winter vs summer tire compound.
Maybe i’ll give them a try, I was set on Bosch Icons and using a windshield treatment(Rain X or the like). But if you have success in Ontario im sure they will work great in NY

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
Rain x latitude wipers for me....we get monsoon here in the desert where it REALLY pours the H2O. That..and these wipers survive the desert heat.
So that's one thing I can't test up here, extreme heat for an extended period (We get in between 35-40 Celsius in the Summer) but they do hold up well in those conditions. That's one I haven't tried yet, the Rain x latitude, I stopped testing after the PIAA's... I know a few companies have introduced the silicone rubber instead of natural rubber on their wipers so I imagine that could be one of them!

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
Maybe i’ll give them a try, I was set on Bosch Icons and using a windshield treatment(Rain X or the like). But if you have success in Ontario im sure they will work great in NY
That's one thing I forgot to mention... I hate using the Rain x washer fluid because of the ummm "smog/smoke" effect every time I spray and they wipe. I intentionally look for washer fluid without the additive to avoid that (Plus the washer fluid without was good for my water/methanol system on my last truck ).
Give it a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed! Just the prep pads do wonders when applied correctly.

CJR28

Reaction score
What material are the blades made of on the Icons? Edit: And what is a good windshield treatment for cold weather?

mr.fusion

Reaction score
I use a good glass treatment to reduce the need to use wipers at all. Apply it a couple times a year. I've not used rain-x btw. I get it from the brands that make ceramic coatings etc from autogeeks.com, etc. It can be pricey... (like $50+ for a 2-4 oz bottle) but it's good stuff and there is no need to use wipers on the highway. Low speed around town, or a light mist.... probably need some wipers going. But it eliminates using wipers at all most of the time. The harder the rain the better it works.

Stoner does make excellent glass cleaner.
For wipers, I get the ones from Costco...always been pretty good :)

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So that's one thing I can't test up here, extreme heat for an extended period (We get in between 35-40 Celsius in the Summer) but they do hold up well in those conditions. That's one I haven't tried yet, the Rain x latitude, I stopped testing after the PIAA's... I know a few companies have introduced the silicone rubber instead of natural rubber on their wipers so I imagine that could be one of them!
Yea that would make sense since the silicone holds up better in the heat. The natural ones will actually stick to the windshield in 110 degrees lol

puba08

Reaction score
Always used the Rain-X wipers on my other trucks. Tried the Bosch Icons on my 4th Gen. Will definitely be going with those again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Amerinamese

Reaction score
I used this stuff on my last car. Beads so well that I didn't have to use my wipers. The water just flies off at highway speeds.
1a3e5e68753828eef186cc2db34564c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

GARebel19

Reaction score
I have been unimpressed with the wipers that came with my Rebel. The drivers side skips/makes noise even when there is plenty of water on the windshield.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been unimpressed with the wipers that came with my Rebel. The drivers side skips/makes noise even when there is plenty of water on the windshield.

Agreed. Mine only lasted 6,000mi before I had to replace them. Went with the Bosch and they’ve been good so far. Definitely not silent though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
I used this stuff on my last car. Beads so well that I didn't have to use my wipers. The water just flies off at highway speeds.
1a3e5e68753828eef186cc2db34564c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
This stuff looks good!
I had my glass ceramic coated with the truck this time but I may give this product a try too!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm a big Bosch Icon fan like Amerinamese.

I currently have the Bosch Focus blades and am not that impressed with them. As our small rain "season" is coming for SoCal I will either go back to Bosch Icons (rubber blade with polymer coating) or Michelin Endurance XT (silicone blade). I've not personally tried the Michelins but have read good things about them.

As for glass cleaner I use Sprayway. By far the best stuff I've ever used. Got my wife hooked on it too and she uses it for the house.

I've never been a fan of Rain X. It's a lot cheaper to wax your windshield. It only takes a few minutes to do the windshield too when you're waxing the truck. After a few thin coats of that then water will bead up and roll off your windshield with anything more than a drizzle.

Users who are viewing this thread