5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Traction

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Northern Iowa, Previously Colorado. Havnt put sand in the back since high school. I also now run Studded winter tires. Winter tires help the most when you actually really need it - stopping and turning. All 4wd does it help you get moving and possibly not get stuck - obviously offroad/trail/deeper snow.

In fact - my wifes last 2 cars I purposely bought front wheel drive instead of AWD and just put snow tires on. It's cheaper, better gas milage, less maintence and is actually more effective than AWD with regular all seasons.

If you dont want to shell out $2K for a winter tire set, just roll in 2wd until you need it, it's a turn of the dial for 4WD. I run 2wd 99% of the time. the 1% is in an active snow storm/blizzard before plows. After plows - 2wd is enough with winter tires even in a RWD truck with no weight in back.
Only issues I had with studded snow tires, is while they may help on icy or hard packed roads, on dry pavement, they actually reduce traction. Not many tires come with provisions for studding anymore. Modern tire technology has all but eliminated that. Other than maybe when chains/cables are needed.

Pertzbro

Reaction score
Only issues I had with studded snow tires, is while they may help on icy or hard packed roads, on dry pavement, they actually reduce traction. Not many tires come with provisions for studding anymore. Modern tire technology has all but eliminated that. Other than maybe when chains/cables are needed.
Correct. I like the studs as the rubber is harder/last longer. Having said that - I'm putting Blizzaks on the wifes 4wd Yukon XL when it shows up. Only been waiting 12 months. I had a dream of her going off the road and flipping over in a creek/water way and dyeing during icy conditions. I also like winter tires for the sheer fact I can still go out and do what I want when most ppl are like "oh you're out - how are the roads?!" And my response is - "seems fine to me but I have snow tires so I dont notice if it's bad"

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Yep. I ran studded tires for years, then I noticed the only time they were an advantage was on icy or snow packed roads. Now that the highway department salts the roads here, those conditions are nearly non-existent. Studded tires absolutely destroy the roads too. Around here, the groves caused by studs make the roads very hazardous when they fill with water, slush, or ice.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Note the hard over drifting technique -

Users who are viewing this thread