5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter tires on Rebel

DrSlump

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to ask all you experts out there, I live in southern Ontario Canada and in winter, snow isn't a big issues. Mostly its the ice or black ice when it freezes and thwart. I have never driven a pick up before the rebel. And since the rebel is mostly rear wheel drive and its tires are stubby, are they suitable for winter weather? Should I consider winters? I am mostly worry about the stopping distance of the truck and also the rear wheel drive fish tailing.

Thank you all.

Last edited:

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Southern Alberta here. Pure winters on pavement always better for sure however the Duratrac tires are very good and the anti slip on the Rebel works very well to the point good enough for me to not go with winters. I also go off road in the winter and would not want to be switching out tires and rims.
I also am very good at predicting when conditions are crap to just put it in 4high before I hit a hill or area 4wd needed so never get out of shape really. Auto 4wd requires slip to engage and a lot of it, you’re far better off being a proactive driver with your truck than a system that reacts after you get out of shape.

YawnY

Reaction score
From Winnipeg here, so we get it all. Cold, snow and ice. I had duratracs on my last truck, and I felt no need to get true winter tires. I had winter tires and summer tires before on that truck, and once I changed over to duratracs I sold the winter tires. They work great in almost all driving conditions in the winter.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the 'Peg as well.... Duratracs are all you should need. But I thought winter tires were mandatory in Ontario?

DrSlump

Reaction score
No, not in Ontario. But we do get insurance rebate of like 3% lol. Quebec is the one that has mandatory winter tires.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You mean the rest of Canada pays for them most likely from transfer payments. Welfare province of Canada.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I live in Ontario, probably just up the 401 from you. Don't worry about changing tires on the Rebel you will be just fine. As per any conditions just take your time and be safe.

DrSlump

Reaction score
Awesome. Sounds like the tires will be good for our winter weather. Looking forward to driving it through some deep white stuff!

hopVIP

Reaction score
I also have Duratracs on my '01 2500 and they are amazing. I got them while in Idaho last winter and only had to drive through 5 or 6 inches of snow but there's always ice beneath it and I never slipped or slid once. Those tires always grip and feel very stable all the time.

RebelRick

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to ask all you experts out there, I live in southern Ontario Canada and in winter, snow isn't a big issues. Mostly its the ice or black ice when it freezes and thwart. I have never driven a pick up before the rebel. And since the rebel is mostly rear wheel drive and its tires are stubby, are they suitable for winter weather? Should I consider winters? I am mostly worry about the stopping distance of the truck and also the rear wheel drive fish tailing.

Thank you all.
FYI the Goodyear Duratrac tires have Three Peak Mountain Snowflake Certified (Excluding size LT275/70R18 125R) which is the OEM size for 19 and 20Rebel

marcinbike

Reaction score
Hi guys,
anything new in the topic? Looking for set of real winter 33'' for next winter. Can't find any in Europe, anything overseas?

HydroRebel

Reaction score
Northern Alberta here and I asked this very same question just before this winter started. As someone already stated a pure winter tire will surely perform better but after using the Duratracs for my first winter they're good enough for me. I think they're really good in snow but not the greatest on ice. Temperatures here can dip in the -40's and 50's and I noticed when the temperatures are that low the compound is really hard so the tire performance is greatly decreased. However, if you take your time and drive to the conditions you will be fine IMO.

DivingOtter

Reaction score
I think I heard somewhere that Rebels can't/ are not supposed to use snow chains?

I figure if anyone should know it would be this group!

SpookyWatcher

Reaction score
Correct.. the Rebel is "Unchainable". It's in the manual and my dealer made me sign a release acknowledging it is unchainable.

I believe there is not enough space between the inner sidewall and the brakes brake lines etc and will cause damage. I got underneath and looked and it's definitely too tight. But I believe if you put 1.25" spacers on... You could do it. I think I read somewhere on here of guys running chains with spacers on. But please do your own due diligence.

habfan

Reaction score
Ran Blizzak LTs this winter in stock size. Worked awesome - like all Blizzaks.
I'm planning for next winter here in Sask, are the Blizzak LTs much different than the DM-V2? and do you have an extra set of rims and TPMS for yours?

I've had the Canadian Tire 'nordic trac' and others on our vehicles, as well as blizzaks DM-V1 on our traded in SUV and Michelin X-Ices on our current SUV.. out of the bunch my preference is Blizzak so will stick with those if I can. Currently have Duelers on there right now with very few kms on em so will probably get another set of rims and tpms for winters just because I like the convenience to swap the tires on my own.

I've read there shouldn't be any reprogramming required to get the truck to recognize tpms on an extra set of rims. hopefully that's the case

thedream829

Reaction score
I used the stock tires and it was fine. I actually slipped and went into a ditch once but luckily I got out. Even though that might of been a on off with black ice on the road I am going to get Blizzaks next season.

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got some replica alloys and sensors for the Blizzaks so I can just swap them out and keep the look. The LT’s are E rated vs the DM series. I ran DM on our SUV snd I think that they would be close in traction but I’d give the edge to the DM’s on that.

habfan

Reaction score
I got some replica alloys and sensors for the Blizzaks so I can just swap them out and keep the look. The LT’s are E rated vs the DM series. I ran DM on our SUV snd I think that they would be close in traction but I’d give the edge to the DM’s on that.
well it's time to really dig into getting winter tires, Do you mind sharing which replicas you got? I am looking at some on Canadawheels.. that i may even think about making my summers and using my stock Rams for winter.. I am thinking about sticking with 20inch, but would go 18 if it was cheaper.. .

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased mine at quattrotires.com (Montreal). Cheapest anywhere I could find and free shipping.....I got the exact rebel 18" replica wheels in black with sensors with LT Blizzaks. there are a ton of options for wheels and winter rubber....just depends on what you want. 18's will be cheaper for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread