5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter tire swap TPMS is now malfunctioning?

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
I recently installed some new rims/winter rubber and bought some OEM TPMS sensors (MOPAR part #68324960AB) and had them installed too. All was well the first day I took the truck out, the readings were there (different from my summer tires, which I expected) but then the next day of driving I get this ding, ding, ding on the dash, a light is on and the screen on the instrument cluster says, malfunctioning TPMS system (or something similar). And when I went to check the pressures, there are no reading, just black and it says unavailable. This has been several weeks now and no pressure readings. Incidentally, there is no warning light on the dash either. Weird.

Any ideas?

Thanks

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I recently installed some new rims/winter rubber and bought some OEM TPMS sensors (MOPAR part #68324960AB) and had them installed too. All was well the first day I took the truck out, the readings were there (different from my summer tires, which I expected) but then the next day of driving I get this ding, ding, ding on the dash, a light is on and the screen on the instrument cluster says, malfunctioning TPMS system (or something similar). And when I went to check the pressures, there are no reading, just black and it says unavailable. This has been several weeks now and no pressure readings. Incidentally, there is no warning light on the dash either. Weird.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Take it back to place that installed them. Or dealer

Reactions: c3k

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
Take it back to place that installed them. Or dealer
I bought the sensors from Rock Auto so the place that installed them, will just tell me it's not their issue as they just installed them, which is fair. Yes, i could go to the dealer, but wondered if anyone else had this issue and how they addressed/corrected it.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
another thread here

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They might rescan them for you. It only takes a minute to reset them as they have the scanner.

I had trouble with the aftermarket ones from Discount Tire. They ended up swapping them out for Mopar ones and I never had another issue. You said yours were Mopar though.

Question, since you say these are a winter set, what did you do with the summer set? Just throw them in the bed? Could the system be confused by too many sensors being present at once? Just a thought.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
What year is your truck because that part number doesnt look correct. I just did a winter wheel and tire swap on mine Friday and I used aftermarket sensors from ebay and they cross reference to a different part number. I paid $35. for all four sensors and they synced up instantly. Screenshot_20211128-220143_eBay.jpg

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
Great.....mine is a 5th gen 2019. Not a Classic... I'll email Rock Auto and ask why I was referenced the wrong part.

Thanks

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Great.....mine is a 5th gen 2019. Not a Classic... I'll email Rock Auto and ask why I was referenced the wrong part.

Thanks
19 is a crossover year so they may have mistaken it for a 4th gen

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let’s all be honest when dose rock auto ever sell you the right thing.

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
Wen you do your research to make sure what you are buying fits.
So they shouldn't even bother listing parts by vehicle? We should all spend time browsing online, finding the correct part and just head over to RA and search the part number. My guess is they wouldn't last very long in the business.

This one is on me. $200 for sensors I'll just to one of my mates with a 2019 Classic.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So they shouldn't even bother listing parts by vehicle? We should all spend time browsing online, finding the correct part and just head over to RA and search the part number. My guess is they wouldn't last very long in the business.

This one is on me. $200 for sensors I'll just to one of my mates with a 2019 Classic.
Just like going to Vatozone, or Advanced Auto. Can never really trust the computers to be accurate. I generally know what I'm looking for when I get on the websites like RockAuto to buy parts.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wen you do your research to make sure what you are buying fits.

My father in law has bought a lot there. He’s always sending things back and them resending. Or refunding. Just two weeks ago. He bought front hubs for his car. One was definitely used. Had a socket in the box. And the other the teeth all ate up. They literally refunded him and he just went to autozone instead.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just like going to Vatozone, or Advanced Auto. Can never really trust the computers to be accurate. I generally know what I'm looking for when I get on the websites like RockAuto to buy parts.

Yep, and considering they made the classic along with the 5th gen for 2019-2021 (and I did hear someone say they ordered a 22 classic recently) this is going to be a problem for a LOT of people. I can't imagine the amount of wrong parts people are buying for these things that aren't car people and don't have any way of knowing.

If the parts people/website makes you choose which one it's for, well then it's on the person ordering at that point. I've never bought from RA so can't say for them, the only place I order from like that at all is summit racing and it's usually stuff for my car.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
bummed to hear of issues with Rock Auto...I've ordered tons over the years and never had trouble. It is somewhat, but not completely surprising that the TPMS sensors are different between 4th and 5th gen.

Hemoglobin - the silver lining is that this seems to be a pretty simple remedy....hope it works out easily for you.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
RockAuto does though. Those sensors are only listed under 1500, and not the 1500 classic
Never ordered from them but it could be human error on their part. Someone has to input the information into their computer's.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Never ordered from them but it could be human error on their part. Someone has to input the information into their computer's.
Yep that's why I said make sure you know what you need before ordering

Users who are viewing this thread