5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter tire help

alpha_brit

Reaction score
I'm running into an issue finding 18" takeoffs for winter wheels. I've got 20" tires and am debating just giving up and putting snow tires on those instead. I don't know a whole lot about tires so I'm looking for some help with this idea. Thoughts on whether it would be reasonable to do, and what tire size to go with (not sure whether to stick with original size or try and go a bit narrower for better bite in the snow). Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited to add: any recommendation on winter tires would also be welcomed.

LouNY

Reaction score
My Laramie came with the 18's and I got a second set for snow tires.
Found mine on Craigs list for $400 for the set,
when I was looking for tires I was looking at 255/70r18, 265/70r18 or my stock size of 275/65r18.
I ended up with a set of 265/70r18 LT's as I found a used set with 60% tread and only 2 missing studs on all 4 tires for $400.
They are Nokian Hakkapeliittas which are one of the better if not the best snow tires, this will be the fifth vehicle I've run with this brand of snows.
I much prefer and get better results with the narrower tire, both in traction and how much less the truck pulls when hitting slush pools on the road.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have used the Winterforce tires in the past on another truck and was very pleased with them

alpha_brit

Reaction score
My Laramie came with the 18's and I got a second set for snow tires.
Found mine on Craigs list for $400 for the set,
when I was looking for tires I was looking at 255/70r18, 265/70r18 or my stock size of 275/65r18.
I ended up with a set of 265/70r18 LT's as I found a used set with 60% tread and only 2 missing studs on all 4 tires for $400.
They are Nokian Hakkapeliittas which are one of the better if not the best snow tires, this will be the fifth vehicle I've run with this brand of snows.
I much prefer and get better results with the narrower tire, both in traction and how much less the truck pulls when hitting slush pools on the road.
I've been stalking a set of take-off 18's since I ordered the truck in April and have yet to come across any locally, unfortunately. I've searched out up to about 200 miles and the best I've found is around $750 (without TPMS) and a heck of a long drive for them.

As far as tires, I've run Nokian's on a bunch of vehicles over the years (everything from WRG2 to various gens of Hakka's). My little SUV is on them now, although I am very close to needing a new set. Obviously I have nothing against Nokian tires, but the stock on them is limited and I'm concerned about being able to find them in the appropriate size if (when?) I eventually locate wheels.

With that in mind, I just ordered a set of 20" Blizzaks because there were only 3 sets locally and no assurance more would be available when those sold out. The shop will hold them for a couple weeks for me. If I don't find wheels in the next week or two, I'll just have them put on the stock rims on my truck. It'll be far better than running all seasons, at the very least.

GTLimited

Reaction score
8C358F12-A409-4CA7-A809-3982A44B4931.jpeg
Michelin X-Ice SUV 275/65/18 on Rebel 18” wheels.

I tried to find some Nokians but had a tough time. I’ve had Blizzaks before but weren’t too impressed with them. I love my X-Ice on my wife’s car so opted for a similar set for the truck.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I bought a set of 18s off of ebay for 350 with free shipping. No sensors or tires. I'm looking for a decent set of tires as well. Screenshot_20211013-090754_eBay.jpg

alpha_brit

Reaction score
Many thanks for the advice. I just ordered the Blizzak DMV2 for the our other new vehicle and have feelers out for the Nokian's in 18's for the Ram. I just found a set of wheels (with TPMS and tires) locally and, although they're not cheap, I'd much prefer to go down to those rather than run 20" snows. Unfortunately now the issue is being unable to find the Nokian's in stock, or even on order. I've got feelers out in my city and a nearby one, hoping something can be found. Fingers crossed someone is able to locate some.

LouNY

Reaction score
With the scarcity of tires this fall I took to Face Book market place,
I got my Nokians for $400 for LT3's LT265/70R18 two of them you can just barely makeout the 60% tread left
indicator the other two it hasn't even got close to it.
Then I got a set of takeoffs for my brother some Goodyear AT's that he likes for $550 they had less then a 1000 miles on them.
Not my favorite way to buy tires but I have had good luck with them.
I used to use Craigs list but it doesn't seem to have any decent deals anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread