5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter driving

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to add wait when I had a 2wd truck, about 350 lbs. I have not added any weight to my last 2 4wd trucks. I guess it wouldn't hurt but not really a need at least where I live.

DakotaRam

Reaction score
Did for my last GMC Canyon but not for my Ram now or prior to the Canyon

jkm312

Reaction score
Anyone add weight in the bed if so how much ?
IF you decide to try it, put it in the front of the bed so as not to take any weight off of the front axle. Losing your steering ability is worse than losing forward traction. A full tank of gas in deep snow is helpful. Not sure what your past history is, but 4X4's will get you going in about anything within reason, but they won't STOP you any faster than 2 wheel drive. That's the important thing to remember.

AndreiV

Reaction score
There is 940 lb difference in axle load on my truck. Other trims most likely have similar weight difference. Screenshot_2019-05-04-15-53-16.png Even 350lbs at the back of the truck won't change steering much, sure should help load the back a bit.

mharringer

Reaction score
If you run in 4auto, i wouldn't worry as much about it. In 2wd, it makes a huge difference.

Snakes709

Reaction score
Added 200lbs of sand bags in my SRT-10. But with 4x4, wasnt really needed.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't find I needed it with the Crew Cab. There's enough distributed weight on the rears.

heydre

Reaction score
Keep in mind loading the bags of weight closer to the cab might make them less likely to behead you in an impact :geek:

DarkKn1ght

Reaction score
I used to put a bunch of bags of sand in the bed over the rear axle of my '04 Ram 1500. It was AWD/4WD (No 2WD option) with 3.92 gears and limited slip. It wasn't bad in the snow but all of my Jeeps over the years have been vastly superior in the snow. My current Jeep ('05 TJ) has limited slip in the front (Detroit True-Trac) and rear (Jeep Trac-Lok) and is better than anything I've ever owned in the snow.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you do put sand in don't just leave them in the plastic bags they come in as they will freeze and slide all around your bed, transfer the sand to a old rubber tractor tire tube, seal up one end and use some heavy string to tie up the other end. This way if you need some sand all you do is untie the string end.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have always added sand bags for weight in the *** end of my trucks in winter environments. There’s a lot of times I don’t run in 4wd and the weight in the bed allows me to not spin the tires as easily in 2wd or to hit a slick patch and keep the *** end planted a bit so I don’t fish tail. Also if you ever need instant traction you can always bust one open and spread it. YMMV

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll be in snow, probably, for the first time in nearly 30 years. I did get in snow during my stint driving semis but that's a whole different animal. You need to be focused driving around in an 80,000 lb monster. I'm sure that experience will help but being I'm retired, when it's nasty, I'm staying put indoors. My Jeep will be my beater.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought my truck in November of last year. Drove it in the snow with the stock Dueler Alenzas and it was "OK" with the Anti-spin and 4-wheel drive. Replaced the Bridgestone's with Michelin Defenders and it handled very well in the snow without any added weight.

My Tahoe was a mtn. goat in the winter, probably due to the shorter wheelbase. The Jeeps do well with less weight and a shorter wheelbase.

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I live in a snowy winter climate in the Pacific NW and last year added 200# in sandbags to my ‘19 crew cab Laramie. Removed them mid-winter to see if there was any difference. There wasn’t. I don’t think I’ll add sandbags this year. My BFG KO2’s handled just fine (y)

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I will add that I have a 55 mile round trip drive to work and ski on the weekends. Winter driving has definitely been tested!

Users who are viewing this thread