5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Ballast

NDRam

Reaction score
Anyone use sand or other weight in their bed for the winter months and if so, what and how much? And, do you really notice a difference? Thanks.

Jayman

Reaction score
I’ve always used the 70# tubes of sand from menards. I put them along the sides of the box towards the back and I use three on each side.

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
No Menards here in the Pacific Northwest, but as many 70-pounders from Lowes or Home Depot as will fit side-by-side between the wheel wells without stacking, to keep the weight over the axle. Air suspension keeps me level.

Steve

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven't used any in my Rebel but I have used some in previous trucks. We can get free sand from the city so I hit the tire shop and get a used transport tire tube and cut it in half and put some small holes on both ends. Seal one end up with plastic wire tie then fill it up with sand and tie the other end with string(this way if you need some its easy to get at).
The rubber doesn't freeze so your sand is always good to go. And they rubber doesn't move around the box like a frozen sand bag does.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
running it on 4X4 Auto - runs just fine, i have a 22 inch winter tire that i took off my last vehicle and i didnt find it worth the cost to put it on this year since i was under the false impression that winter will be over soon...

CouchAssault

Reaction score
4 auto does work the transfer case a little harder. if you're using it a lot may want to consider changing the t-case fluid a sooner. shouldn't be much concern in the short term unless its constantly switching the front end on and off. which if that's the case just put it in 4wd

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
If its semi slick I use 4 auto, but today there was 8" on the road so I kicked it in 4 hi and drove like normal basically. It's not my last truck (05 Cummins) in the snow but it sure as heck isnt a slouch. 100% confidence in this truck in the snow

Barney556180

Reaction score
In winter my wife feeds the deer herd behind our house, so I keep a supply of corn in the bed. The 4-6 40-lb bags add weight ( which does help) and solves the storage question nicely.

Last edited:

Pribilof

Reaction score
I have 300 lbs of sand tubes in the back, over the rear axle. Definitely a big difference in snow in both 2WD and 4WD.

Users who are viewing this thread