5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield Wipers suck.

rightushook

Reaction score
I've had really good luck with cleaning my blades every couple of weeks aswell as cleaning my windshield. I've gotten more life that way. Just take a rag with glass cleaner and wipe down the rubber. Especially since I can't always do a full wash and my windshield is covered by two weeks.

79 300

Reaction score
I have put Bosch Icons on our vehicles for years... many times within a week or so of buying a new vehicle.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
WD40 and microfiber cloth cleans wipers well. Mine are a year old in August. Work fine.
I use rubbing alcohol (70%) and a clean rag to clean/refresh my wipers.

I use spray on ceramic coat on the windshield it works better than rain x, most of the time I barely have to turn the wipers unless it’s a heavy rain. Even during heavy rain the water blows right off.
I just use "regular" car wax, usually a Meguiar's liquid. 2-3 times a year keeps enough of a layer on there that water beads up and rolls off all year. I rarely use my wipers over 35 mph unless the rain is really coming down or I'm behind a semi making a giant mist trail on a wet road.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm a poor boy now. Spent $63 (after tax) on a pair of Bosch Icons.
I just got my pair of Bosch icons from advanced auto parts for like 43 after tax. My original wipers lasted 2.5 years I just replaced them today because one of them was tearing at the top.
advanced auto parts almost always has 25% off coupons available online so you just buy the parts online and go pick them up. They probably offer free delivery as well.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wind shield is haunted.
New wipers doing the same thing as the stockers. Skipping where the arm presses them to the glass. Noisy and streaky. 🤬

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
+10 for Bosch Icon! Do yourselves the favor and spend the extra $$$, they more than pay for the extra $$$ over the long run.

Mirowpl

Reaction score
I use rain x windshield fluid and the stock blades work fine. It worth a try for 5bucks a gallon

Mirowpl

Reaction score
Didn’t know that. Had the, on my wife’s Durango and we both hated it.. so didn’t want the, on new truck. Oh well

yellowboy

Reaction score
Factory wipers (like allot of things on this truck) are junk. I had my dealer replace them under warranty for skipping, new ones did the same thing. Got Michelins at Walmrt, end of problem.

BowDown

Reaction score
The wipers do suck. I had the same situation lots of unwiped lines. I researched wiper blades and found these to be most solid. I put them on all 3 of my vehicles. Not one complaint.

I have those, haven’t survived the Texas "rainy season".
Going back to the $11 Sam's Club Peaks, less than 1/2 the cost and last longer

BowDown

Reaction score
I bought these as well. One set for my Ram and another for my wife's XC 90. They both leave streaks from day one. Replaced it with Tirico on the XC 90 and it was good for a week and then started leaving streaks worse than the Michelin. Both cars driver's side issue only. Now I bought two 24" RainX from BJ's for $12 each. I have not put them on yet, but if they don't work it's to Bosch overpriced Icons next.
Same here

BowDown

Reaction score
I use spray on ceramic coat on the windshield it works better than rain x, most of the time I barely have to turn the wipers unless it’s a heavy rain. Even during heavy rain the water blows right off.

I do the same thing, ceramic coated the windshield too

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The only ones that seem to usually last a full year through midwest winters is the Bosch Icons for me. However, testing Trico Ultra wipers on my wife's Jeep, and have a set for the truck as well hanging in the garage for when they need changing. So far so good. I think they don't clear quite as well as the Bosch, but wife sings their praises, so we'll see how long they go.

The factory wipers on my truck have worked quite well. However, as others have said, I also use a ceramic coating "topper" every time I wash the truck, including the glass. This definitely helps the water glide right off, and probably the wipers as well. (It also acts as a drying agent, which I personally love when wiping her down.)

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a couple things I've noticed over the years. Wipers react to contamination on the glass and the wipers themselves collect bug guts and grease from the road. What I found to work best for me is to use a compound on the windshield to remove all contaminants. Glass has micro pores that debris sits in, just like clear coat, but a claybar does not completely remove the glass contaminants.

You'll notice when compounding the glass that it gets smooth as you rub the compound in. The glass isn't clean until the compound smooths out. If you still see halo or blotchy portions, it's not clean. Do the entire windshield, then use denatured alcohol to wipe the blades clean. You can wax your windshield after compounding, or you can ceramic coat it, etc. You'll notice that you can drive anywhere with minimal wiper use, but when you need them, the blades will glide smoothly and quietly.

I have under 5k miles on my truck, using the factory wipers in Florida summer rains, and I have zero issues or complaints.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I have those, haven’t survived the Texas "rainy season".
Going back to the $11 Sam's Club Peaks, less than 1/2 the cost and last longer
I have them on a SUV, a sedan and my Ram.. So far they have been flawless. I live in Houston, tons of rain in the last month. I don't know why some hate them. I wonder if they are manufactured in several places? I did find these on Amazon and I'm tempted to try these on my sedan in the future. Sometimes cheap can be best. Almost 2K people love these.

BowDown

Reaction score
I have them on a SUV, a sedan and my Ram.. So far they have been flawless. I live in Houston, tons of rain in the last month. I don't know why some hate them. I wonder if they are manufactured in several places? I did find these on Amazon and I'm tempted to try these on my sedan in the future. Sometimes cheap can be best. Almost 2K people love these.

I don't hate them but I expected more. Skipping windshield wipers are a huge peeve to me, the Peaks at Sams worked fine but I stupidly got caught up in windshield wiper hype vs using what I know hasn't been a problem

Users who are viewing this thread