5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield Wipers suck.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
21 with 5k miles.
Seems my line of sight is where the arm attaches to the wiper and for some reason my wipers like to skip and leave a path of unwiped rain in this spot.
During the monsoon last month, I moved the passenger wiper to the driver position and vice versa. That worked fine until this week's monsoon. I guess the factory wipers are crap. Although, I've never had such poor wipers on a brand new vehicle.

Does anyone have a tip or trick for cleaning the wipers?
Or what wiper is considered an upgrade from factory?

Bluesurf

Reaction score
The wipers do suck. I had the same situation lots of unwiped lines. I researched wiper blades and found these to be most solid. I put them on all 3 of my vehicles. Not one complaint.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My wipers did that from day one, cheap materials on these trucks, even down to the carpet. Really missing my 4th gen lately

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I buy the Michelin Guardian Hybrid wipers from Costco. They're like $9 a blade, so if they last 6 months I don't care. They usually last me 6 months to a year before I swap them out. They start to leave streaks when they wear out, but they don't chatter on the windshield.

I feel you on the line of sight thing. Within 2 months of getting the truck I got a chip right where I look out the windshield. The SafeLite guy repaired it, and it left a huge bubble/black stuff in it. He goes "That's just how they look when you repair them," and he didn't have a response when I asked why my wife's windshield chip was repaired to almost invisible. Too late to do anything now.

gpbst3

Reaction score
My factory wipers lasted 2 years. I bought a set of rainx and they have been junk since day one. They streak and the driver blade skips on the bottom. Sent them an email and they never responded

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I buy the Michelin Guardian Hybrid wipers from Costco. They're like $9 a blade, so if they last 6 months I don't care. They usually last me 6 months to a year before I swap them out. They start to leave streaks when they wear out, but they don't chatter on the windshield.

I feel you on the line of sight thing. Within 2 months of getting the truck I got a chip right where I look out the windshield. The SafeLite guy repaired it, and it left a huge bubble/black stuff in it. He goes "That's just how they look when you repair them," and he didn't have a response when I asked why my wife's windshield chip was repaired to almost invisible. Too late to do anything now.
I bought the Costco ones a month or 2 ago. Fine around town, but the driver's side lifts and won't wipe the upper half properly at highway speeds. I'm going to find something else.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bought the Costco ones a month or 2 ago. Fine around town, but the driver's side lifts and won't wipe the upper half properly at highway speeds. I'm going to find something else.
I agree about the Costco wipers. They're cheap, so I bought two sets of them. Streaks, lifting, skipping. Don't waste your money on them.

dandar

Reaction score
The wipers do suck. I had the same situation lots of unwiped lines. I researched wiper blades and found these to be most solid. I put them on all 3 of my vehicles. Not one complaint.
I bought these as well. One set for my Ram and another for my wife's XC 90. They both leave streaks from day one. Replaced it with Tirico on the XC 90 and it was good for a week and then started leaving streaks worse than the Michelin. Both cars driver's side issue only. Now I bought two 24" RainX from BJ's for $12 each. I have not put them on yet, but if they don't work it's to Bosch overpriced Icons next.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My DT will be 36 months old next month and still sports the original blades. The truck sits outside 100% of its life so it's exposed to a lot of sun rays. The wiper blades just recently just started to streak.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052929 miles.

Wtray

Reaction score
I used the original blades on my 2019 DT for two years and have had my 2021 for a couple months with no issues. I do use RAIN-X which assists with the smoothness in the swipe and I wipe the blades every time I wash or clean the front windshield. Any dirt build up on the blade will cause these to suck/streak.

Living in the Pacific Northwest, I deal with a lot of rain 9 months of the year.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My DT will be 36 months old next month and still sports the original blades. The truck sits outside 100% of its life so it's exposed to a lot of sun rays. The wiper blades just recently just started to streak.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052929 miles.
Mine are still original (and are holding up great after 34 months), but the truck spends 95% of its time in a garage. Good to hear about aftermarket options.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
21 with 5k miles.
Seems my line of sight is where the arm attaches to the wiper and for some reason my wipers like to skip and leave a path of unwiped rain in this spot.
During the monsoon last month, I moved the passenger wiper to the driver position and vice versa. That worked fine until this week's monsoon. I guess the factory wipers are crap. Although, I've never had such poor wipers on a brand new vehicle.

Does anyone have a tip or trick for cleaning the wipers?
Or what wiper is considered an upgrade from factory?
Wear items from the factory are not going to be top-notch unless they are going to advertise it as such. Every penny saved on parts is that much more they can make on each unit and line their pockets.

I didn't make it six months before my wipers were driving me crazy. I have Bosch Icons and am very happy with them.

I've been using the Icons for years and they are best out there IMO (as Amazing93 said). As mentioned they are not cheap, but they are worth it as you get what you pay for.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I bought these as well. One set for my Ram and another for my wife's XC 90. They both leave streaks from day one. Replaced it with Tirico on the XC 90 and it was good for a week and then started leaving streaks worse than the Michelin. Both cars driver's side issue only. Now I bought two 24" RainX from BJ's for $12 each. I have not put them on yet, but if they don't work it's to Bosch overpriced Icons next.
I never experienced anything close to what you describe.
At the time of my purchase Project Farm made it easier.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried the Bosch Focus wipers after my OEM ones and was not impressed, especially since they are more expensive than Icons.

I was going to give the Michelin silicone wipers a shot until I watched some Project Farm videos. After watching them I went straight back to Bosch Icon.

I've used Bosch Icon wipers on my vehicles for 10+ years and have not been disappointed.

Otisporkchop

Reaction score
I use spray on ceramic coat on the windshield it works better than rain x, most of the time I barely have to turn the wipers unless it’s a heavy rain. Even during heavy rain the water blows right off.

Users who are viewing this thread