5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield wiper fluid not working !??

Mikebighorn

Reaction score
How’s it going ! Hope everyone is safe with this whole corona virus !

I have been meaning to ask if anyone has ever had a problem with the wiper fluid not coming out.
When I go to turn it on I head the pump running. Sometimes I even see a bit of fluid dribble out of the sprayer but I have no clue where it’s going because I put a whole bottle of fluid in and now it says low fluid. It has to be leaking or going somewhere but when I popped the hood I didn’t happen to see anything wet.
Idk honestly if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it

derp

Reaction score
How’s it going ! Hope everyone is safe with this whole corona virus !

I have been meaning to ask if anyone has ever had a problem with the wiper fluid not coming out.
When I go to turn it on I head the pump running. Sometimes I even see a bit of fluid dribble out of the sprayer but I have no clue where it’s going because I put a whole bottle of fluid in and now it says low fluid. It has to be leaking or going somewhere but when I popped the hood I didn’t happen to see anything wet.
Idk honestly if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it
I hate to ask, but I almost made this mistake.

left side yellow cap or right side yellow cap for fill?

left is coolant overflow, right is wiper fluid.

If you put wiper fluid in the left, go get a radiator flush and refill, soon. it would account for low warning on the console and no appreciable output from the sprayers after a fill. one gallon on the fill at the right should have brought you to near full. One gallon on the left would have hit the overflow and left a puddle under the truck.

Mikebighorn

Reaction score

If you put wiper fluid in the left, go get a radiator flush and refill, soon. it would account for low warning on the console and no appreciable output from the sprayers after a fill. one gallon on the fill at the right should have brought you to near full. One gallon on the left would have hit the overflow and left a puddle under the truck.

Hey I put it in the fluid section for sure. After I put it in it was full.
after about a week of tryingto spray the fluid over and over is when it came up low fluid

derp

Reaction score
Hey I put it in the fluid section for sure. After I put it in it was full.
after about a week of tryingto spray the fluid over and over is when it came up low fluid
woohoo! just for giggles I would refill the reservoir with plain old hose water and have someone inside the truck run the sprayers and see if the resivoir level drops ,

airgas1998

Reaction score

funny you say this...I started filling the what I thought was the washer fluid reservoir with a bout 3/4 gal of it going into the coolant side before I realized oh ****. luckily the washer fluid didn't mix and stayed at the top and I was able to syphon the majority of it out.

derp

Reaction score
funny you say this...I started filling the what I thought was the washer fluid reservoir with a bout 3/4 gal of it going into the coolant side before I realized oh ****. luckily the washer fluid didn't mix and stayed at the top and I was able to syphon the majority of it out.
the coolant fill reservoir is a siphon typer overflow. if you fill and empty it while cold and not running there's pretty much no mix with the active coolant loop.

when the truck is cooling down the coolant pressure in the loop goes down and it vacuums in coolant from the reservoir to keep the system full with no air/cavitation.

When the truck warms up and the active loop coolant expands, it pushes open the valve to dump into the overflow tank (where we usually top up.) if there's too much expansion, the excess dumps out the overflow drain on the reservoir onto the ground under the truck. this is not a normal behavior for a working system and is more likely during an overheat or overfilled system.

When the active loop is low on coolant the hot air expands much faster than the coolant boils off and burps out into the reservoir, and the burps take the overflow tube to outside.

The vacuum left by the lower volume of air in the system combined with the vacuum created by the water pump will pull fluid back in from the reservoir to the radiator eventually burping away all the airspace in the active loop.

In day to day we should never have to use the pressure cap to top up our trucks coolant systems anymore. Leaks happen, service interval flushes happen, and an evacuated coolant loop won't push/pull without fluid so the top pressure cap is needed for high volume coolant exchanges.

As for the washer reservoir, the pumps for the sprayers are typically attached mechanically to the bottom of the fill tank, one per sprayer circuit (i.e. one for front sprayers, one for rear).
our trucks don't have headlight washer/wipers, rear window washer/wipers. what I would usually do is check the rear wipers vs the front to check for a reservoir leak compared to a ruptured line on the front or rear sprayer tube.

Fun but from Jeep days. The rear reservoir had a flex tube running from the tailgate to the tank. the flex tube for the wipers dry rotted often and turned the rear glass wiper/washer into a pisser that would directly spray the tailgater behind me.

bcanady1991

Reaction score
Did you ever figure out the issue. Mine was actually empty. After I filled it up it worked for about a day and now isn’t working at all. Reservoir is still fill but nothing is coming out. I just use the standard washer fluid. No rain x products.

bcanady1991

Reaction score
Did you ever figure out the issue. Mine was actually empty. After I filled it up it worked for about a day and now isn’t working at all. Reservoir is still fill but nothing is coming out. I just use the standard washer fluid. No rain x products.
Found the issue. The hose connection on the passenger side came loose. Liner on the hood soaked up most of the fluid so it never leaked out on the ground. Just snapped it back in and it is working fine now.

funtrucker

Reaction score
where is the hose connection. Mine has come loose, again. The first time I took it to the dealer. Really, don't want to wait for a simple reconnect.

512.5thgen

Reaction score
I can’t seem to find any hose on the passenger side, mine runs directly from the driver side into the bottom of the hood liner.

Vinny

Reaction score
Found the issue. The hose connection on the passenger side came loose. Liner on the hood soaked up most of the fluid so it never leaked out on the ground. Just snapped it back in and it is working fine now.
Thanks for posting the update, all do often searching leads to a dead end.

My 2019 2500 has fluid and is just trickling out of one nozzle. I like having the answer before I even got out of the truck at my destination.

byounghusband

Reaction score
I have the same problem on my 2020 Ram 1500. If I run the wash, It was leaking in the ground under the front bumper when the hood was closed. Not doing it if it was open. It appear to be leaking at one of the ports or the line to the ports. With the hood closed, it ran down between the liner and the hood and on top of the radiator cowl.. Now I have to remove the hood liner to find the issue. A Winter Storm hitting the DFW area right now is pretty BAD timing!!!!

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Funny this popped up yesterday, was having a beer with my buddy and were talking about his new ram, and he said he has to take it in for warranty because his washer fluid wasnt working.

Went out and looked at it, hose came undone right below the hood, on the side of the fender.

Reaction score
I've had my 2019 1500 since it was new and have never had a problem with the washer hoses...until this year and, coincidentally, one week before the bumper-to-bumper warranty was set to expire. The dealership removed several of the hood liner retainers and 'fixed' the hose that had come loose, then replaced the retainers with some that were not even correct...they looked terrible. All was good - for one week. So, I bought a small kit with some retainers and removal tool from Amazon, removed the retainers from the bottom half and found the hose had come loose from the nozzle. Figured out how to get the nozzle out, put the hose back in, nozzle goes in and all is fixed.....for another week. Now mind you, I don't even try to run the washers when the temperatures are below freezing, but there must be something not quite right with the connection method for these hoses. I ordered even more retainers and completely removed the hood liner, reattached 2 hoses that had come loose, but secured them with zip ties. I guess time will tell. IMG_20220314_130203583.jpg IMG_20220314_130215019.jpg

ShortStack

Reaction score
It would appear that RAM has done this very half-assed. My Ford Edge has rubber tubing going to a plastic T that has the spines on it.
Going to keep an eye on mine now that I see what they've done.
Nice zip tie work (y)

MC6533

Reaction score
I am having one side washer nozzle issues. Are these insulation clips under the hood single use? I was trying to find a way to remove without tearing them up. How are you guys getting them out?
Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
I am having one side washer nozzle issues. Are these insulation clips under the hood single use? I was trying to find a way to remove without tearing them up. How are you guys getting them out?
Thanks in advance!
I've never removed one retainer that I could re-use. I ended up buying a bag of 50 just in case I needed them again, but so far, the zip tie trick is working well, and I hope I don't have to remove the hood insulation again.

Last edited:

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the same issue. Hose under the hood popped off. Both sprayers weren’t spraying. Wash fluid was leaking through then hood Liner.

Well, just thought I'd bump this thread to add my 2 cents about the same issue. Mine stopped spraying last week. Dealer looked it over and my hose was also disconnected. No charge since I'm under the 8 year warranty. I guess I'll just keep having them fix it every time it stops working.

Users who are viewing this thread