5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield Washers

Oldphart

Reaction score
2nd time I've done this....below freezing and I pushed the button in too far and activated the washers when I was intending just to cycle the wipers. Blew off the water hose again. Unfortunately it's between the hood and insulation. A ton of clips to pull off and their almost impossible to pull off without destroying them.

One would think that with all the computerization on these trucks, they could put a "no-go" feature on the washers if the outdoor temp got below, say, 35 degrees F. I guess a pressure sensor in the water line is out of the question.

Oldphart

Reaction score
Why would it do that? If you have the correct liquid in for the season it does not freeze? I run -30F all year round. Never had an issue with any vehicle
I use a 0 degree but the coldest it gets down here (Texas by by the Gulf) was 15 above this week. Damned if I know. Wife's Nissan Altima has no issues.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's not how far you push the button, it's how long you hold it down. If you don't want it to squirt fluid, just tap it.

Like @Camelot said, run a fluid that's good for -zero conditions. If the system shut off in temps below 35°, most of us wouldn't be able to use it for 4 months.

Last edited:

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2nd time I've done this....below freezing and I pushed the button in too far and activated the washers when I was intending just to cycle the wipers. Blew off the water hose again. Unfortunately it's between the hood and insulation. A ton of clips to pull off and their almost impossible to pull off without destroying them.

One would think that with all the computerization on these trucks, they could put a "no-go" feature on the washers if the outdoor temp got below, say, 35 degrees F. I guess a pressure sensor in the water line is out of the question.
The clips are dirt cheap. I had to pull my insulator because one of the lines got disconnected. A trim tool and a pack of plastic fasteners and your good to go.

Oldphart

Reaction score
The clips are dirt cheap. I had to pull my insulator because one of the lines got disconnected. A trim tool and a pack of plastic fasteners and your good to go.
I’ve still got some clips left from the last time and I was able to determine it’s the passenger side.

Note to self and everyone else……if you use an oil change place as I do, don’t let them add to your washer fluid with cold weather coming up. I’m going to invest in a refractometer specifically for washer fluid (about $10.00)and bust their balls if they are using colored water!!

I’ll keep you posted.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve still got some clips left from the last time and I was able to determine it’s the passenger side.

Note to self and everyone else……if you use an oil change place as I do, don’t let them add to your washer fluid with cold weather coming up. I’m going to invest in a refractometer specifically for washer fluid (about $10.00)and bust their balls if they are using colored water!!

I’ll keep you posted.
Going to be at least a 50% windshield washer fluid with water lol.

This style of clip remover tool works good on those clips

Oldphart

Reaction score
So I found the appropriate hydrometer and tested the fluid in the truck. I found this one at a local parts store https://www.amazon.com/S104-Windshi...MI6vHQ8J7xgwMVVkp_AB0cLgJnEAQYASABEgIAMPD_BwE.
It registered as between 12-32 F degrees on the scale. The stuff I had been buying is advertised as 0 degrees F and it came back as having a bit more protection than that. Went to the oil change place and tried to repeat the test to the manager. He made some lame excuse that my test results were incorrect so I offered to repeat them with a sample taken directly from his hose. He didn't want to be bothered so I told him he had just lost a customer with 3 vehicles.

Wherever I go from this point forward I'll be damn sure to test it before they refill, although it's not that important normally. Also, I'm glad that I insist on oil poured from the bottle instead of the bulk hose. Who knows what you are really getting.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Were I live the most critical time for washer fluid is during below freezing temperatures when road chemicals have turned snow and ice to a nasty blinding slurry that will not come off your windshield with wipers alone.

Don't trust the rating on the bottle. On several occasions I've had fluid marked -20 or -30 on the bottle freeze in the lines at temperatures that were not even below 0.

When it turns winter, I add a cup of 90% isopropyl alcohol to a reservoir filled with the strongest winter fluid I can find and have not had a problem with freezing since.

It's really a pain driving down the interstate during a snow or ice storm with your arm out the window pouring washer fluid on your windshield because your washers have frozen.

Last edited:

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Were I live the most critical time for washer fluid is during below freezing temperatures when road chemicals have turned snow and ice to a nasty blinding slurry that will not come off your windshield with wipers alone.

Don't trust the rating on the bottle. On several occasions I've had fluid marked -20 or -30 on the bottle freeze in the lines at temperatures that were not even above 0.

When it turns winter, I add a cup of 90% isopropyl alcohol to a reservoir filled with the strongest winter fluid I can find and have not had a problem with freezing since.

It's really a pain driving down the interstate during a snow or ice storm with your arm out the window pouring washer fluid on your windshield because your washers have frozen.
I got a chuckle picturing the arm out the window thing. My 75 Bronco was great in the snow, the windshield washer not so much. I would keep a plastic soda bottle with a small hole drilled in the lid between the seats, open the window and squirt the windshield when it needed cleaned.

Oldphart

Reaction score
Don't trust the rating on the bottle. On several occasions I've had fluid marked -20 or -30 on the bottle freeze in the lines at temperatures that were not even below 0.
Now that I have the tester, I'll check each bottle when I bring it home and mark it. That way I know it's good to go. This is the first time I've ever come across this; I'm 71 years old and until recently, done all of this routine stuff myself. Arthritis is a real pain I'll tell you. Enjoy your youth while you can!!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I've never had an issue with freezing when using the correct fluid. As long as what is already in your reservoir is also rated for that temperature. You can't top off a reservoir full of summer or bug removing fluid, and expect it to all of a sudden have the sub zero freeze point of what you are adding. If you've ever paid a shop to change your oil, or had the dealer do it, a lot of them will top off your washer fluid. You never know what they are putting in.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never had an issue with freezing when using the correct fluid. As long as what is already in your reservoir is also rated for that temperature. You can't top off a reservoir full of summer or bug removing fluid, and expect it to all of a sudden have the sub zero freeze point of what you are adding. If you've ever paid a shop to change your oil, or had the dealer do it, a lot of them will top off your washer fluid. You never know what they are putting in.

I have had issues when using the correct fluid at sub-0 temperatures that were not nearly as low as the rating on the bottle of fluid I was using and it had nothing to do with mixed fluids.

Just used a hydrometer to test and unopened bottle rated to -25 and it doesn't test anywhere near that temperature. That's exactly why I add alcohol.

The hard to see red scale is the Fahrenheit scale. Looks like this -25F fluid will only protect to about -5F. At -10F this fluid will freeze in the washer lines and nozzles rather quickly.
IMG_3203.jpg

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have had issues when using the correct fluid at sub-0 temperatures that were not nearly as low as the rating on the bottle of fluid I was using and it had nothing to do with mixed fluids.

Just used a hydrometer to test and unopened bottle rated to -25 and it doesn't test anywhere near that temperature. That's exactly why I add alcohol.

The hard to see red scale is the Fahrenheit scale. Looks like this -25F fluid will only protect to about -5F. At -10F this fluid will freeze in the washer lines and nozzles rather quickly.
View attachment 175414
You buy the fancy wierd colored crap. Stick to the basic blue. Doesn't need to have additives of label that says "de-icer" on it. If it's rated for -25, it's obviously going to help with ice, but you should be scraping your windows and using defrost, not using your washer fluid to clear the windshield if frost/ice

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You buy the fancy wierd colored crap. Stick to the basic blue. Doesn't need to have additives of label that says "de-icer" on it. If it's rated for -25, it's obviously going to help with ice, but you should be scraping your windows and using defrost, not using your washer fluid to clear the windshield if frost/ice

Sounds like you are just making stuff up. My posts have nothing to do with using the fluid to deice the windshield and I've had the basic blue freeze as well.

I seriously doubt there is any difference between the "fancy weird colored crap" and the blue crap other than the color of dye used to give the fluid a color. Some manufactures use different colors simply to distinguish between different temperature ratings for the fluid. It's the addition of clear methanol that makes it winter blend to help protect it from freezing in the lines and the exact same chemical is what helps it deice. Do you honestly believe blue is just the natural color of washer fluid?

Even the basic blue stuff often has the word deicer on the label if it's rated for sub-zero temperatures.
washer.jpg

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

View attachment 175414
That's deicer, not windshield washer fluid, it even says on the label you took a picture of "cer" ie deicer.
It's a differnet mixture.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's deicer, not windshield washer fluid, it even says on the label you took a picture of "cer" ie deicer.
It's a differnet mixture.

Yet again, you are factually wrong and just making stuff up. It says "Windshield Washer Fluid" immediately below the word "De-icer". It is a different mixture from normal summer blended fluid because they add methanol to prevent it from freezing.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yet again, you are factually wrong and just making stuff up. It says "Windshield Washer Fluid" immediately below the word "De-icer". It is a different mixture from normal summer blended fluid because they add methanol to prevent it from freezing.
Deicer is not windshield washer fluid, it's a different compound designed to do different things. Thats a bottle of multipurpose fluid, ie Deicer.
Anything that is sold as multipurpose is going to do worse at each if it's jobs.
Your like complaining that all season tires aren't as good in the snow as snow tires. Of course they are a multipurpose item and will not be as good in any season as the correct tire would be but are good enough for most people.

If you need to have your windshield washer in extreme environments don't buy Deicer to put it in there, but the correct fluid and maybe from a real brand not that supertech crap that's cheaper than buying water at Walmart.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Deicer is not windshield washer fluid, it's a different compound designed to do different things. Thats a bottle of multipurpose fluid, ie Deicer.
Anything that is sold as multipurpose is going to do worse at each if it's jobs.
Your like complaining that all season tires aren't as good in the snow as snow tires. Of course they are a multipurpose item and will not be as good in any season as the correct tire would be but are good enough for most people.

If you need to have your windshield washer in extreme environments don't buy Deicer to put it in there, but the correct fluid and maybe from a real brand not that supertech crap that's cheaper than buying water at Walmart.

Stop. As usual, you don't know what you are talking about.

djwdjw

Reaction score
This style of clip remover tool works good on those clips

I used a similar clip tool/plier like this one from Amazon, only cheaper and it worked for (hopefully) the one time use to get the hood insulation clips off. Probably due to age and climate (heat) none of the clips could be re-used but Amazon also has those clips available inexpensively. Maybe there is a graceful way to get them out but I don't know what it is.

This little project was all related to the tubing failing prior to the nozzles. Washer button makes the pump run and fluid on the ground. The bend in the transition to the hood cracked (replaced with vinyl tubing (when heated) that fit well over the existing tubing, AND one more of the 90" rubber connectors had the tubing pop out - all were clamped back together with zip ties added).

Perhaps an improved design with longer service life is needed as this is the only vehicle I have ever had to do this for, and that is a lot of vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread