5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield sensor?

SandDiesel

Reaction score
I am having a new windshield installed in my 2020 1500 Big Horn. There is a small sensor on the back of the mirror pod under the glass. What is it? I'm told I won't need calibration after install.
20201006_214904.jpg

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m not sure what that is , maybe your guess is right about the rain sensor .

dalailama23

Reaction score
I was told on mine its part of the adaptive cruise control if you have it and it does have to be recalibrated. My insurance covered mine at the dealer because the windshield people couldn't do it. they didn't have the software.

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
I have the same sensor, but no ACC. Do they outfit every truck with the sensor for ACC and it's just a SW upgrade? I would love to get ACC. I also figured it was a rain sensor, but I also live in AZ, so go figure.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That's the automatic rain sensor. No calibration needed, but ensure it's operational after they install it.
If it's an OEM windshield, you should be fine.

Amerinamese

Reaction score
So do Big Horns have rain sensing wipers too? I thought that was a Laramie package.

dalailama23

Reaction score
I have the same sensor, but no ACC. Do they outfit every truck with the sensor for ACC and it's just a SW upgrade? I would love to get ACC. I also figured it was a rain sensor, but I also live in AZ, so go figure.
This is what i found after doing a search if you don't have the in the systems the chart your good to go. that camera was probably in all windshield of the higher end trucks it does more than just rain sensing. Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 2.52.45 PM.png

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This is what i found after doing a search if you don't have the in the systems the chart your good to go. that camera was probably in all windshield of the higher end trucks it does more than just rain sensing. View attachment 71118
Thanks, but the pic the OP posted is the windshield IR sensor, not a camera (which is used for lane keeping assisted, emergency braking/crash mitigation, and adaptive cruise. Different systems altogether.

Here’s a picture of mine for future reference (the camera on the far left is just my dash cam).

Cheers,

7B7B1D2E-3F6C-4724-AE0E-946331D389DD.jpeg

Last edited:

Amerinamese

Reaction score
So what does the IR sensor do? I looked at my Big Horn and I have the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

2020GCM

Reaction score
I believe it is a humidity sensor, used for the auto climate control system. I have this sensor but don't have auto wipers either.

irishwake63

Reaction score
I wasnt aware I have auto climate control either unless thats standard

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's simply a light sensor for automatic headlights, and it could be for both the lights and the auto wipers.

Last edited:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's the rain sensor. If anything, make sure they get a new gel patch for it, which is cheap. I didn't have an OEM windshield installed after mine cracked, and I have problems with my auto wipers coming on every now and then. Also make sure they're careful with the plastic cowling around the mirror. The gorilla replacing my windshield broke 2 of them before I asked them to just order one and let me put it on.

Ratchet

Reaction score
I believe it is a humidity sensor, used for the auto climate control system. I have this sensor but don't have auto wipers either.
This ^
Same on my truck as well. Adding rain sensing wipers soon and will have to change out this sensor to the combo sensor. (rain/humidity)

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Hope this link helps from a related thread. Yes, this is either a humidity sensor or a combo rain/humidity sensor.

Users who are viewing this thread