5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield Replacement

wtyer

Reaction score
So I have two cracks in my windshield. I can get aftermarket glass for $370 or OEM glass for $690. The glass guys say go with the aftermarket because the only difference is the RAM head logo in the corner on the passenger side. What does everyone else recommend?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
When i replaced mine, the installer told me that the aftermarket is of better quality and will resist better to small chips... I insisted and got the RAM glass... 6 months later and my glass is full of small ugly chips(AZ living :D ), the tiny ones that makes the glass look like it's dirty all the time. I don't know if what he said was true but i kinda regret my decision lol

By the way, I didn't pay for it. If paid by me, I'd go with the cheaper option. FCA add this logo on all of their windshields so you will want the OEM part when in need of a new one.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interested in this also. Just took a rock to the windshield from one of the damn gravel trains that are always on the highway around here. :mad:
20200825_155803.jpg

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I got mine replaced last year there wasn't an aftermarket yet so I got the OE. Now I have another small crack that hasn't spread yet but winter is coming and I want to see the new replacement options with aftermarket when the crack lengthens.

hunter1234

Reaction score
on my 2016 I went with an aftermarket versus the OEM, I had the rain sensing wipers and other stuff and had no issue with the aftermarket glass. Had it on the truck for 2 years before I sold the truck this year for a new 2020 and the windshield was still good, rain sensors worked as well as the automatic high beams (not sure if these would be impacted by the windshield or not). Original decision was that I could get the aftermarket cheaper and done that day, I would have paid more and had to wait a few days to get the OEM one.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've read about people having problems with the OEM windshields being too easily cracked. So I'd probably go with aftermarket. I've used aftermarket windshields on other vehicles in the past and had no issues with them.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got a quote from one local company. $750 and a couple weeks lead time for OEM. They claim no aftermarket option available. I'll keep looking.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are different categories of aftermarket glass. There is OEM equivalent aftermarket and cheapo aftermarket. The good aftermarket stuff is fine with the rain sensors and other electronics; the cheapo stuff not so much. Had experience with both on my 4th gen before the current 2020.

Booner68

Reaction score
Just had my windshield replaced may 27 which requires recalibration of the cameras. Unfortunately some camera component needed to be replaced (damaged during removal/install), part had to be ordered. Part received sounds like attachment screw is in correct and has to be reordered, but dealer claims does not have ‘schematic’ for correct p/n so unable to recalibrate until they receive the correct p/n. Meanwhile my safety systems on 4WD crew cab are inoperative including my cruise control. I gave this installer my opinion and offer to help them find the right ‘part’. I used to run several different overhaul shops, I know a little about parts logistics. Just venting

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just had my windshield replaced may 27 which requires recalibration of the cameras. Unfortunately some camera component needed to be replaced (damaged during removal/install), part had to be ordered. Part received sounds like attachment screw is in correct and has to be reordered, but dealer claims does not have ‘schematic’ for correct p/n so unable to recalibrate until they receive the correct p/n. Meanwhile my safety systems on 4WD crew cab are inoperative including my cruise control. I gave this installer my opinion and offer to help them find the right ‘part’. I used to run several different overhaul shops, I know a little about parts logistics. Just venting
My safety systems haven’t worked for over a year because of this calibration issue. After taking time to try to fix 3 times I just haven’t worried about it for a while but do need to try to get it rectified again.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Damn that really really sucks.
What company did the glass work? Maybe request they buy the entire DASM system if they don't know what it needs, or force them to let the truck be taken to the dealership and they foot the bill might be the best bet.
Good luck either way I would be fuming.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are different categories of aftermarket glass. There is OEM equivalent aftermarket and cheapo aftermarket. The good aftermarket stuff is fine with the rain sensors and other electronics; the cheapo stuff not so much. Had experience with both on my 4th gen before the current 2020.
This is true. Try to seek out a PPG or LOF or Safelite aftermarket brand. They are the better quality.
I've seen cheaper windshields that had distortions to them.

AussieRon

Reaction score
Just had my windshield replaced by Safelite on Monday. I too am having issues with the safety systems.
Monday - Replaced Windshield, hour later calibration attempted and failed
Tuesday - Re-calibration attempted (Told me it passed calibration) on way home turned on ACC and lane departure fails
Wednesday - Re-Re-Calibration. Lane departure still not working took it to the Safelite Shop in Bayonne
They are telling me that there is a heater wiring harness attached to the windshield that may be causing an issue with the module giving feedback to the electronic steering assist so they will need to replace the windshield again. The tech believes it may be a faulty windshield. Need to wait 2 weeks for the sealant to dry.

Has anybody had any experience with this?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just had my windshield replaced by Safelite on Monday. I too am having issues with the safety systems.
Tuesday - Re-calibration attempted (Told me it passed calibration) on way home turned on ACC and lane departure fails
Wednesday - Re-Re-Calibration. Lane departure still not working took it to the Safelite Shop in Bayonne
They are telling me that there is a heater wiring harness attached to the windshield that may be causing an issue with the module giving feedback to the electronic steering assist so they will need to replace the windshield again. The tech believes it may be a faulty windshield. Need to wait 2 weeks for the sealant to dry.

Next time don't let them do any "calibrations".
I have my truck drive itself with a Comma 3 and no problems.

Sounds like their techs have no idea wtf they are doing.

Might want to bite the bullet and take into the dealership and or make them foot the bill.
Was this done via car insurance claim?

6of36

Reaction score

It sounds like you are inconvenienced, but it's a good thing that they admit they may have installed a defective part. It does happen. It is best to wait until the sealer completely cures, otherwise when they try to remove it, it could be nothing but a mess everywhere. I would see if they would eat any out of pocket costs for inconvenience.

6of36

Reaction score
Next time don't let them do any "calibrations".
I have my truck drive itself with a Comma 3 and no problems.

Sounds like their techs have no idea wtf they are doing.

Might want to bite the bullet and take into the dealership and or make them foot the bill.
Was this done via car insurance claim?
Dealers don't replace glass, they call a glass company.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dealers don't replace glass, they call a glass company.
There is no problem with the glass..............

The cameras and other hardware is part of the harness which is not attached to the glass. A new glass just has contacts for the defrost element, and a slot where everything else sticks\slots in.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I still haven’t worked to fix mine.. I believe my issue with the calibration may have something to do with my unlocked pcm as it isn’t the one that came with my truck new… I figure some file must be off but haven’t went down that rabbit hole just yet

bullmack

Reaction score
So I have two cracks in my windshield. I can get aftermarket glass for $370 or OEM glass for $690. The glass guys say go with the aftermarket because the only difference is the RAM head logo in the corner on the passenger side. What does everyone else recommend?
I have a buddy that was an owner of an auto glass company that was recently bought out by Safelite. He said to only use Mopar replacement windshields.

Users who are viewing this thread