5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield Repair/Replacement Safelite

Merlin

Reaction score
Anyone else have issues with Safelite?

I have a 2019 Big Horn, Safelite replaced my windshield a few weeks ago, and this morning there was frost all over the inside radio display and instrument cluster. as the widshield defrosted I had water in big drips coming down the inside of the windshield. Now I have to go to the shop tomorrow for another replacement. I had it replaced with factory glass in 2021 but this time they used aftermarket glass. Aggravating to say the least. Geico told me to basically take a long walk off a short pier, I have to deal with safelite as it is under their warranty. Hopefully they do it right this time.

stronbl

Reaction score
I had Safelite replace my Porsche Cayenne front windshield about a year ago. But I specifically paid the extra for OEM glass. Have not had any problems with it. Hope they fix the issue for you and at no cost!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

I have a 2019 Big Horn, Safelite replaced my windshield a few weeks ago, and this morning there was frost all over the inside radio display and instrument cluster. as the widshield defrosted I had water in big drips coming down the inside of the windshield. Now I have to go to the shop tomorrow for another replacement. I had it replaced with factory glass in 2021 but this time they used aftermarket glass. Aggravating to say the least. Geico told me to basically take a long walk off a short pier, I have to deal with safelite as it is under their warranty. Hopefully they do it right this time.
I have no experience with Safelite, but I have friends and family who have. None of them has complained to me about Safelite.

But let me see if I understand the issue. Did you verify a leak or are you having the windshield replaced again because of frost that was on the inside? That in itself doesn't necessarily indicate there is a leak, just that there is moisture inside the truck. Which could be explained by the presence of water inside the cab of your truck. Getting into your truck with snow on your shoes/boots is one way that can happen. The snow melts, turns to water, which evaporates inside the truck. Temps drop low enough to condense that moisture onto the inside of the glass, which then turns to frost when the temp drops below freezing. Once the temps get higher the frost melts, and if it's heavy enough, you'll have drops on the inside of the windshield.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have no experience with Safelite, but I have friends and family who have. None of them has complained to me about Safelite.

But let me see if I understand the issue. Did you verify a leak or are you having the windshield replaced again because of frost that was on the inside? That in itself doesn't necessarily indicate there is a leak, just that there is moisture inside the truck. Which could be explained by the presence of water inside the cab of your truck. Getting into your truck with snow on your shoes/boots is one way that can happen. The snow melts, turns to water, which evaporates inside the truck. Temps drop low enough to condense that moisture onto the inside of the glass, which then turns to frost when the temp drops below freezing. Once the temps get higher the frost melts, and if it's heavy enough, you'll have drops on the inside of the windshield.

Yep, I've had plenty of mornings where I had to scrape the inside of the windshield when I couldn't park in the garage.

I haven't had the best luck with Safelite. One leaky windshield and another got sealant all over my paint and interior. My insurance agent recommended a family owned, local glass shop that has replaced two windshields for me without any issues.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

If there isn't any water leak, there shouldn't be enough moisture inside to cause frost inside the radio/instrument cluster. I've had frost in the inside of windows, but never radio or instrument cluster. Also water dripping down from top of windshield would be a pretty good indication that the seal is bad.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

My only issue is they use he cheapest glass they can get, unless otherwise specified, and the customer pays the difference in price.

On my 00 Dakota, many years ago, I got my windshield replaced. First three windshields installed cracked either during install or a few days afterwards. Talked to the tech, since it was same guy each time, and he said it was a common issue due to improper curvature on the cheap glass, but Safelite won't pay for the better quality glass. After the third cheap replacement cracked, the tech installed a betrer PPG brand windshield and it's still in the truck over 15 years later. Tech claimed he paid the difference in price himself, but can't confirm that

Merlin

Reaction score
I have had the truck going on 4 years. I have never had frost on my rear view mirror, instrument cluster or the radio display. All the windows were closed, and it was parked in the same place and the same way it has through many storms and weather changes. The only thing that changed was this new windshield install in the last few weeks, I drove the truck Saturday and the weather was rainy but I didn't get any water in the truck. There have been crazy weather changes up here on Long Island lately and this hasn't happened before. The tech had also set my windshield wiper arms too low and they were smacking the hood, so my confidence level in this particular tech isnt the greatest.
The Manager at the shop I am going to didn't hesitate to tell me to bring it right in for a replacement which makes me think they have had issues before with this tech, but he did say it seems like the seal or sealing agent may have been applied wrong. Thanks for the feedback I will update tomorrow after I get home.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
Had my windshield replaced through Safelite with non oem glass 5 months after purchase (so august of 2019.) Has held up just fine since then :) The tech was awesome, came all the way out to the site in the mud and muck, was done in an hour.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sounds like 100% bad install.

These chain companies need to hire locals people and some people are better then others.
I have used simular glass companies for years (safelite bought the one I currently use).
I find the best approach is having them come out to you and stating outside and watching them the entire install (but be friendly).

One time they put one on my Camaro and I didn't like the fit (wasn't lined up properly) and I made him take it back off on the spot and he installed another glass because they don't re-use the same windshields due to fear of cracking.

After market shouldn't matter. They can't use subpar glass it's a safety problem. Oem or special branded glass will be required for cars with features such as "heated wipers" and hud. Generally you get brand name non-oem glass for those types regardless of age.
OEM just means it has the car brand symbol on the glass.

I would definitely take pictures of the frost before it's taken back. You may have electrical problems depending on where the water gets and I would want proof down the rksd. Also run your ac non-stop after you get the windshield replaced again to attempt to dry the inside of your truck out fully.

irishwake63

Reaction score
Ive had mine on my Jeep Wrangler replaced like 3 times from Safelite and always requested OEM glass and they never charged me extra for it

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ive had mine on my Jeep Wrangler replaced like 3 times from Safelite and always requested OEM glass and they never charged me extra for it
Didn't charge you extra or didn't charge your insurance company?

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I've never used them, some of my family members have used Safelite and have had issues. Because of that, I have always selected a local glass shop. My tint place also installs windshields so if i have to replace my windshield I will choose the so they can install the glass with tint already added. No risk of water shorting out components that way.

BTB123

Reaction score
Safelite sucks and uses the cheapest a Chinese glass they can get their hands on. My insurance told me I had to use Safelite. I told them to pound sand as legally they can’t force me to use them. I found Pilkington glass at another shop. Much better glass.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Safelite sucks and uses the cheapest a Chinese glass they can get their hands on. My insurance told me I had to use Safelite. I told them to pound sand as legally they can’t force me to use them. I found Pilkington glass at another shop. Much better glass.
Pilkington is OEM glass too, just not for our Rams.

Users who are viewing this thread