5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windshield Crack Repair

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey y’all,

I’m set to trade in my 21 Laramie for a 22 Limited when it arrives next month. I have a very small crack in my line of vision on the drivers side - about 1” long max. I know these windshields are expensive (about $1500) & are touchy as I’ve had mine fully tinted & not many installers will do that bc once you get the sensors wet, it won’t start (I use an installer that does it properly with soak-ropes, etc successfully).

Can our windshields handle a simple, standard repair like this to hide the crack with a clear resin like standard windshield repairs in order to maximize trade in value?

Thanks in advance!

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am by no means an expert! But it probably depends somewhat on the type crack you have. I had a bullseye on a Lexus that I had Safelight do their resin thing. Looked Great, but a week letter I went over a speed bump and the crack expanded tenfold.

My luck would be doing what you are thinking and driving onto the dealer lot, hotting a bump, and BAMN.

Personally I'd leave it, take the hit on trade in value if the dealer even notices. But that's just me!!

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am by no means an expert! But it probably depends somewhat on the type crack you have. I had a bullseye on a Lexus that I had Safelight do their resin thing. Looked Great, but a week letter I went over a speed bump and the crack expanded tenfold.

My luck would be doing what you are thinking and driving onto the dealer lot, hotting a bump, and BAMN.

Personally I'd leave it, take the hit on trade in value if the dealer even notices. But that's just me!!
Probably a great idea as it sounds like we share the same luck. Thanks!

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m realizing (far too late obviously) that when my wife and I went to sign with the finance guy at the dealer that we opted out of any extended warranty since the plan was to trade back in between 60k & 80k to work toward positive trade equity but we did opt for the electronics & windshield protection that is good up to 80k. I’ve always had bad luck with windshields and since these are so pricey to replace along with the screen components, I said sure that makes sense. Of course my paperwork that we picked up along with the extra key fob says the opposite. I should’ve had them correct it back then even if the deal was “final”. Now I have to try to hash that out with the old dealer which I’m sure we all know won’t end well.

mr.fusion

Reaction score
I have 30 years in the windshield repair biz, so thought I would comment on this one. There is no issue with rock whip repairs on Ram trucks. They can be done the same as any other vehicle. What really matters... how bad is the damage, and how competent is the repair shop? Every rock chip is different so sometimes it's not as simple as considering the size or even how it "looks". Most will repair very well. A good shop is the key, and good working conditions helps ensure a quality repair. Make SURE the windshield is dry. Don't have it fixed in rainy weather or after running through a car wash etc..

I noticed you are in St Louis area? Looks like a good shop there is Glass Tek. I don't know them, but it looks like a legit shop based on their site.

mr.fusion

Reaction score
Assuming it's repaired well.... it should look good, not very noticeable at all. Certainly it should disappear enough to avoid being noticed at trade in. Normally they don't notice or care much about typical rock chips. But if it's right in the driver sight or particularly ugly.... then it's probably a good idea to make it go away. ;)

That's what I do by the way. I do the repairs for dozens of car dealer lots... both new dealerships and preowned lots. I currently take care of six Dodge stores....

Users who are viewing this thread