5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window tinting with Llumar Stratos?

flyingpoint

Reaction score
I am pretty happy with 3M Crystalline tinting on the GX460 so far which was installed 5 yrs ago. There is one installer quotes for $750 for 4 side windows and rear on my Ram. However, he doesn't want to do the windshield becuz the he said water might ruin the HUD electrical components behind the windshield. Another installer quotes Llumar FormulaOne Stratos for $950 for 4 side windows and rear which is $200 more than Crystalline. Also he can do windshield for $350 extra and sunroof for $250 extra. He states Stratos is better than Crystalline in many ways. Anyone has experience with it, and is it priced right?

BigBoi

Reaction score
I am pretty happy with 3M Crystalline tinting on the GX460 so far which was installed 5 yrs ago. There is one installer quotes for $750 for 4 side windows and rear on my Ram. However, he doesn't want to do the windshield becuz the he said water might ruin the HUD electrical components behind the windshield. Another installer quotes Llumar FormulaOne Stratos for $950 for 4 side windows and rear which is $200 more than Crystalline. Also he can do windshield for $350 extra and sunroof for $250 extra. He states Stratos is better than Crystalline in many ways. Anyone has experience with it, and is it priced right?

#flyingpoint

I had all the windows + the panoramic sunroof on my 2021 RAM 1500 Limited tinted except for the windshield, because I was informed at the time that I got my 2019 RAM 1500 windows tinted that they were no longer allowed to tint windshields that have leather dashes for the potential of damaging interior dash.
Once the shops lead tint-installer began prepping & performed the required pre-inspection on my 2021 RAM, he claimed that “he told the sales rep that he was certain that he was very capable of tinting the front windshield as well, without having any concerns of potential damage”.
I was not informed of the recent news regarding the capabilities of potentially tinting my windshield until after my trucks initial tint job was already 100% completed & the lead tint-installer had already pulled my truck outside & was doing his final post-installation inspection.
At that time, I walked up & began speaking with the lead tint-installer. That’s when he informed me that he had informed the sales rep upon beginning the installation, that he was confident that he was capable of tinting the windshield without having any concerns or issues & if I decided to include it while he was doing all the other glass on the truck, he’d only charge me an additional $100.
I was completely shocked by this news & told him that I was never informed of that even being an option. He then went over the process that he would had taken to protect the dashboard & electronics in order to install tint on the windshield. He informed me that it would require approximately another 90 minutes to do right now, but that it could have actually already been completed if I had approved it before he started the sunroof. He said he could’ve tinted the windshield during his “validation of application” time that he utilized as his “verification ” of the sunroof tint job.
He apologized to me for the sales rep not informing me, but that if I’d wait another 90 minutes he’d get it tinted right now. Since I didn’t want to wait around there another hour & a half, he informed me that he’d only charge me $135 to tint the windshield at another time. Basically because of all the setup & prep time involved.

Premium Ceramic tint installed on all the windows, the back glass as well as the panoramic sunroof: Invoiced amount: $565

Premium Ceramic tint installed on the windshield, after the initial tint installation date: Invoiced amount $135.

Complete premium ceramic tint installed on all glass, second visit for the windshield: $700 (vs) Having all the glass tinted during a single visit installation: $665.

I’m very pleased with this investment. A much needed add-on if you reside in any area where the temperatures can get extremely hot.

BigBoi
2021 RAM 1500 Limited 4x4 Granite Crystal Metallic Night Edition

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
#flyingpoint

I had all the windows + the panoramic sunroof on my 2021 RAM 1500 Limited tinted except for the windshield, because I was informed at the time that I got my 2019 RAM 1500 windows tinted that they were no longer allowed to tint windshields that have leather dashes for the potential of damaging interior dash.
Once the shops lead tint-installer began prepping & performed the required pre-inspection on my 2021 RAM, he claimed that “he told the sales rep that he was certain that he was very capable of tinting the front windshield as well, without having any concerns of potential damage”.
I was not informed of the recent news regarding the capabilities of potentially tinting my windshield until after my trucks initial tint job was already 100% completed & the lead tint-installer had already pulled my truck outside & was doing his final post-installation inspection.
At that time, I walked up & began speaking with the lead tint-installer. That’s when he informed me that he had informed the sales rep upon beginning the installation, that he was confident that he was capable of tinting the windshield without having any concerns or issues & if I decided to include it while he was doing all the other glass on the truck, he’d only charge me an additional $100.
I was completely shocked by this news & told him that I was never informed of that even being an option. He then went over the process that he would had taken to protect the dashboard & electronics in order to install tint on the windshield. He informed me that it would require approximately another 90 minutes to do right now, but that it could have actually already been completed if I had approved it before he started the sunroof. He said he could’ve tinted the windshield during his “validation of application” time that he utilized as his “verification ” of the sunroof tint job.
He apologized to me for the sales rep not informing me, but that if I’d wait another 90 minutes he’d get it tinted right now. Since I didn’t want to wait around there another hour & a half, he informed me that he’d only charge me $135 to tint the windshield at another time. Basically because of all the setup & prep time involved.

Premium Ceramic tint installed on all the windows, the back glass as well as the panoramic sunroof: Invoiced amount: $565

Premium Ceramic tint installed on the windshield, after the initial tint installation date: Invoiced amount $135.

Complete premium ceramic tint installed on all glass, second visit for the windshield: $700 (vs) Having all the glass tinted during a single visit installation: $665.

I’m very pleased with this investment. A much needed add-on if you reside in any area where the temperatures can get extremely hot.

BigBoi
Can you talk more about the concerns with the dash and the front window tint? I had my front windshield tinted and it was never mentioned that it could damage the dash. I had the front 2 windows done with factory match, plus the windshield at the same time for $225. There was a mixup that my appointment took longer than scheduled so they comped me the back 2 sides and back window at a later time. That was worth $200. I felt it was getting too hot in the front so I took it back and had the front replaced with 100% ceramic (factory match) and put the exact same on the full back. They charged me $120 to switch out the front. So I ended up getting the full truck done, front twice, for less than $400. Would have been just under $600 full tint without the comps.

flyingpoint

Reaction score
#flyingpoint

BigBoi
Thanks a lot for the information. I am going to call the installer near my home who claimed has been doing the auto tinting for 17yrs. I will just make it simple to get 70 LTV Llumar F1 Stratos for all windows including windshield and sunroof for heat rejection, but also don't want to lost the visibility. Hopefully Stratos the film can do the good job as 3M Crystalline does.

U

User_3336

i'm in the wrong business if installers are charging that for tint jobs! LOL

njt07

Reaction score
#flyingpoint

BigBoi
I assume this is in Austin, do you know if there is an affiliate in Dallas?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have seen videos where the installer used so much water it went behind
the dash and shorted out the BCM on that vehicle. He now puts towels
across the whole dash to catch the excess water.

Malodave

flyingpoint

Reaction score
I have seen videos where the installer used so much water it went behind
the dash and shorted out the BCM on that vehicle. He now puts towels
across the whole dash to catch the excess water.

Malodave
That makes a lot of sense. By reading reviews and comments on the tinting on Panoramic sunroof, I might not be doing it. Some said it will put too much of the heat to the glass which may crack the glass. Also will be doing more research for the price quote on it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread