5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window tint questions

Evilemokid94

Reaction score
Hey guys, Iv got an appointment Friday to get my truck in to get tinted, originally I was going to go 5% all the way around with 35% on the windshield but honestly it has me worried about trying to drive at night being that dark, all of my other vehicles Iv always done just 20% on the front windows to match the rear and an eye brow on the windshield, so straying away from this is throwing me off and making me nervous so can I get some feed back from the ones who are tinted all the way around? How is it?, Iv thought about matching the fronts with the back and tinting the windshield still to 35% to see how dark it would be inside the truck.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Dang 5%, I’m hoping that you have the eyesight of an eagle lol. Why all of a sudden the need to stray from what’s worked for you so far ?

Evilemokid94

Reaction score
Dang 5%, I’m hoping that you have the eyesight of an eagle lol. Why all of a sudden the need to stray from what’s worked for you so far ?
My normal tinter doesn’t do windshields and Iv always wanted one done, and I don’t necessarily want to have two different tints on my truck from two different installers so I’m choosing to go with the shop who will tint the entire windshield so the tints will match up and have the same life expectancies.

PorBoy

Reaction score
The only reason I ask is I had my Titan done including my front windshield and at night it was a muthaaa to see out of.

GOATinstructor

Reaction score
Hey guys, Iv got an appointment Friday to get my truck in to get tinted, originally I was going to go 5% all the way around with 35% on the windshield but honestly it has me worried about trying to drive at night being that dark, all of my other vehicles Iv always done just 20% on the front windows to match the rear and an eye brow on the windshield, so straying away from this is throwing me off and making me nervous so can I get some feed back from the ones who are tinted all the way around? How is it?, Iv thought about matching the fronts with the back and tinting the windshield still to 35% to see how dark it would be inside the truck.

The dealer sold me my truck with 5% all around and 35% up front - I ended up getting pulled over for the tint and the officer told me all of the tint was illegal, however, that I would not be harassed over the sides and back, but the front had to go!

Took it back to the dealer right after that stop and had them remove the windshield tint and give me a legal brow.

I have to say, it is much better looking out at night and that even 5% on the sides is risky making turns.

Attachments

• Ram 1500.jpg
    Ram 1500.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 798
  • Ram 1500 2.jpg
    Ram 1500 2.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 779

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I had 5% on the front windows and just the brow and tinted the rears to match and recently had my tint guy go up to 10% on the front just cause I knew 5% was darker than I really wanted since that’s what I have on my car and get tired of having to let the windows down to back up at night

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
I don't know if they have to remove the rear view mirror to do the windshield on the ram. I bought a new f150 a few years back and took it in for window tint and eyebrow one day after i bought it [Sat]. They broke the windshield removing the mirror. So my new truck sat over the weekend until the next week to get a new windshield put in. Haven't done any windshield tint since.

Ram19Va

Reaction score
Lucky you can tint them so much in your state. However, with an eye doctor's note there is a workaround the law.

Truckin

Reaction score
That is really dark for both windshield as well as drivers door glass...Be very careful you do not run over someone at night!

Mostly around here (Arizona) they tint windshields at 70%, I had my windshield tinted at 80% ceramic and could not be happier! I also used the same 80% for the sunroof and rear glass with 30% ceramic on the front doors. The ceramic does help not only the cabin to stay a bit cooler when parked in the sun but helps the A/C to cool the cabin down faster.

Note: Make sure whoever does your windshield tint has plenty of experience tinting the windshields on Teslas...If they do not take proper precautions to keep water out of your electronics (and leather dash for those equipped), you will be in a world of hurt!

Evilemokid94

Reaction score
I got them done today, decided to watch the rears “honestly the shop went alittle dark on the fronts but you can only tell inside” and tinted the windshield to 35%

Attachments

• 91AF2B61-2865-448B-8145-CDB80C0D141F.jpeg
    91AF2B61-2865-448B-8145-CDB80C0D141F.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 490

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I am going to tint the front side windows on the truck today. I was going to do 35% on the front but my wife says that is a bit too dark for her to see clearly at night. Is the next step up in level 50%? Is it even worth it to tint the sides at 50%? Thanks.

Evilemokid94

Reaction score
I am going to tint the front side windows on the truck today. I was going to do 35% on the front but my wife says that is a bit too dark for her to see clearly at night. Is the next step up in level 50%? Is it even worth it to tint the sides at 50%? Thanks.
I personally wouldn’t. The rears from the factory are set at 20%. Too me they are easy to see out of and that’s why I decided to match the fronts to the back glass. 35% on our big windows I personally think is too light.

SColang22

Reaction score
I did 5% on the back and 20% on the front. I love it and have no issues. I'm giving it a little bit see if I want to go to 5% on the front two but as of now its plenty dark. I went ceramic and its blocking heat nicely

jkratze1

Reaction score

I have done the 35% on the front side windows and I think it looks good and is tinted enough to provide some privacy while still being easy to see out of at night. I do notice a difference between the factory rears and 35% fronts but it still looks good to me.

Reaction score
I've had lots of combinations of tint in various trucks I've had (translated: wasted tons of $)...this time took the easy way and just went 20% front to match, plus a strip at the top of the windshield (dang windshield is huge!). Sure, I miss the privacy mostly of my previous builds, but with the 20% Llumar I can see very well at night. Also, I never liked the black truck with totally blacked out windows look for some reason...The Llumar is a very clear tint. Before I always used the 3M Colorguard, which was blacker tint and hence better looking form the outside, but could appear cloudy from inside when the sun was at certain angles.

This is my first post so that hopefully gives me the right to ramble on? I'm posting photos below, on a sunny day with sun at my back. With 20% matching tint, the vast amount of light coming through the windshield can make them appear too light at times. Today they look pretty even.
AqN%qs%zR9GW7kbtQXRe1Q.jpg MF4+OEZkTwKa%5b3N8ZT%w.jpg

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I usually do 20 on the fronts because any darker (for me) is safety issue at night.

Here's a pic:

Attachments

• IMG_0451.jpeg
    IMG_0451.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 399

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I did 20% up front, 5% on the rears, and a 5% sun strip at the top of the windshield. Perfect level of darkness for me, can still see curbs at night when backing into spots with the mirrors. Had the same setup on my '15 Grand Cherokee as well.

Keep in mind when adding tint over existing factory tint, you are essentially combining the level of darkness. So with 5% tint allowing only 5% of light in, couple that with the OEM 20% level tint, you are now at 1% light transmittance. You cannot see into the back windows of my truck, but at night, it's very difficult to see out of them as well.

Users who are viewing this thread