5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Window frame crack and possible solution.

jon58moon

Reaction score
Hey all! Ram has failed multiple times to appropriately fix my issue and now I am over my mileage warranty and they refuse to fix it. I have discovered 4 cracks in my window frame, two directly under the third taillight and one on each side of the window where the weatherstripping from the roof runs down. The best fix I have found so far, since RAM refuses to properly handle their engineering and design flaws, was to grab a can of clear flex seal and do my best. Waiting on it to dry then I'll go out and test it again. I love my truck but RAM has done a horrible job taking care of its customers. This will be the last time I or anyone I know will buy anything from any Stellantis brand.

Attachments

• ram leak 1.jpg
    ram leak 1.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 84
  • ram leak 2.jpg
    ram leak 2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 83
  • ram leak 3.jpg
    ram leak 3.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 84
  • ram leak 4.jpg
    ram leak 4.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 81

jon58moon

Reaction score
Hey all! Ram has failed multiple times to appropriately fix my issue and now I am over my mileage warranty and they refuse to fix it. I have discovered 4 cracks in my window frame, two directly under the third taillight and one on each side of the window where the weatherstripping from the roof runs down. The best fix I have found so far, since RAM refuses to properly handle their engineering and design flaws, was to grab a can of clear flex seal and do my best. Waiting on it to dry then I'll go out and test it again. I love my truck but RAM has done a horrible job taking care of its customers. This will be the last time I or anyone I know will buy anything from any Stellantis brand.
It did not work. I'm just gonna caulk the whole window I guess. It's leaking from the corner grommets on each side. No idea why, I can't see any additional cracks in the frame.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well known problem, if it was documented at a dealer prior to your warranty mileage running out I would contact ramcares and see if they can help. Many owners having their rear windows replaced due to this leak.

The third brake light is also a very common leak, shark fin antenna not as much but still some cases.

Once the weather warms up I plan to run a bead of silicone along the top of my rear window and around the sharkfin antenna before any leaks happen.

btk031

Reaction score
Dealing with the same problem. Bought a 2019 Ram 1500 used in 2022. Its been leaking a long time. Noticed after I bought it unusual condensation on the inside of the windshield and then months later an awful smell. Rear carpet was completely saturated underneath, couldn't tell with out pulling it up. Cracks on both sides of the slider in the frame. Ive used caran wrap and electrical tape temporarily. Had one leak since. Definitely not the antenna or third brake light for me. Deciding weather to battle with a dealership about it or seal it myself. So OP you sealed sections of the window and that didnt work? Ive see people seal the top half and remove the brake light and seal under there. Have you tried that? There looks to be some water marks on the metal above the window frame in your pictures. Is that just in the picture? If not you might be getting water from higher up, brake light or antenna.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Each time the window is replaced, it should come with its own 1 year warranty on the installation. Factory warranty doesn't matter at that point. If it's leaking and cracked s much as you say it is, I'd almost say it was an installation error

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Well known problem, if it was documented at a dealer prior to your warranty mileage running out I would contact ramcares and see if they can help. Many owners having their rear windows replaced due to this leak.

The third brake light is also a very common leak, shark fin antenna not as much but still some cases.

Once the weather warms up I plan to run a bead of silicone along the top of my rear window and around the sharkfin antenna before any leaks happen.
I know silicone is the go to for leaks, but the guys that do auto glass will tell you not to do it. Once you put silicone there, if you ever do replace it the urethane they use to put the new window in will not bond.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think the consensus is:
Shark fin: silicone
Tire brake light: weather stripping
Rear window: permatex

Also see what your auto insurance company will do for you. My comprehensive deductible is $50. That’s what I’ll do if it ever happens to me since I’m out of warranty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread