5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wind noise

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I came across this solution today, and gave it a try on I70 in Western Kansas with a strong cross wind. Pulled over at a rest stop and did this, works like a champ!

It's called "brute force body work" and works like a charm.
1. Roll down window.
2. Open door.
3. Sitting sideways in the seat (facing the door), put your knee in the lower part of the door below the door handle area so you have leverage when grabbing the top of the door and pulling into bend it in a little.
4. Grab the top of the door (again, make sure the window is rolled down) and pull it in a little to try to bend it in to seal better when the door is closed.
5. Close the door when you are finished, roll up window, take for a test drive and see if that fixed it.
6. If not, repeat the procedure again to bring the top in a little more.
Have utilized this method since the 70’s and works like a charm with no waiting in the dealer service center!

Luis1275

Reaction score
Solved! (For me, anyway). I added weather stripping around the edge of each door. For the fronts, I did not add the the hinge side as they seemed quite tight. The rear doors, I did add. I did not do the tops of any of the doors as those seemed quite tight as well. On the bottoms of each door I ran the stripping under the seal attached to the door. Test drive after install put me back in my happy place! I can’t believe how quite the cab is now...As some here say....tomb-like! I still may want to sound deaden the rear panel in the future for the left over road noise.
One roll per door, 7 bucks each. Wiped areas with alcohol first.
My best upgrade.
Can you send me better pictures? Is it still working for you?

Luis1275

Reaction score
Solved! (For me, anyway). I added weather stripping around the edge of each door. For the fronts, I did not add the the hinge side as they seemed quite tight. The rear doors, I did add. I did not do the tops of any of the doors as those seemed quite tight as well. On the bottoms of each door I ran the stripping under the seal attached to the door. Test drive after install put me back in my happy place! I can’t believe how quite the cab is now...As some here say....tomb-like! I still may want to sound deaden the rear panel in the future for the left over road noise.
One roll per door, 7 bucks each. Wiped areas with alcohol first.
My best upgrade.
Please correct me if I’m wrong and did the same as you on what I can see but view 655 I assume it’s the driver door if you close the door and view it from the rear (opening the rear driver door) you can see that weather stripping is doing nothing. At least it is what I see on my truck. Please if you can attach more photos.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had some kind of lump or knot in one of the window weatherstrip channels that stopped the window from rolling all the way up. Didn't notice it until we tried to install the deflectors and one of them wouldn't go in. Repaired under warranty. Don't know if it's relevant, but easy to check.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
Please correct me if I’m wrong and did the same as you on what I can see but view 655 I assume it’s the driver door if you close the door and view it from the rear (opening the rear driver door) you can see that weather stripping is doing nothing. At least it is what I see on my truck. Please if you can attach more photos.
Hi Luis. Yes, you are correct. I realized it about a month afterwards, but decided to leave it as is. For whatever reason, it did cut down the noise and as a bonus gave a more positive feel when closing the doors. Another option to weatherstripping the door would be to add a much thinner weather channel to the body where the door makes contact. I just couldn’t find a way to not make it look hokey.
As you may know, another source of the noise is from the rear vents behind the seats. Activating the re-circulation will cut back that noise source. I’m sorry that I can’t be of much more help for you. Good luck!

Ray61692

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck at the dealerships with this problem? I have a2020 1500 bighorn and have the same problem. If you look at the outside weather stripping from the B pillar at the bottom 1/4 isn’t even touching the window, seems this is where the wind noise on mine is coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread