5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wind noise

Jwitz94

Reaction score
I have posted twice about wind noise on both front doors. My 2019 Laramie goes into shop Monday . I’m hoping for the best but from everything I read I’m not optimistic. Oh I’ve posted twice and can’t find either post on this blog.
I have the same issue, have you found any solution? Delership told me they found no air leaking in or out when they test drive it.

BMem

Reaction score
@RamCares Was just at the dealership, and both the Adviser and Service Tech heard the wind noise from my 2019 Ram. Said seals looked fine. They took another 2019 off the lot and realized it had the exact same noise going from 50-60MPH, so there was nothing they could do as the problem seems more widespread. How is there no TSB for this? Can you please help me resolve this? It's at the top of my drivers and passenger door. Almost like a "whipping" noise. Faint, but when you're driving for hours on end, drives you nutz! Silly problem for a $50k truck.
I have a 2019 Limited that I have been living with the wind noise ever since I bought it. My warranty is almost expired so I thought by now Ram has a fix for this issue. They sent it to their body shop where they proceeded to bend the top of the doors in. The passenger side now is about a quarter of and inch in from the roof panel ( and looks like sh_t) and both sides still leak air. I can only imagine from this thread that there is a design flaw and there are too many vehicles they would have to repair.

BMem

Reaction score
Question??? Has ANYBODY been able to get the door wind noise corrected by a dealer? Mine has been in the shop twice and sent to their body shop twice and I still have the noise on the drivers side. It absolutely drives me nuts on a long trip, especially since the limited was the top of the line truck which I would expect would be whisper quiet in the interior. Why can't Ram just have a replacement seal engineered to cure this problem which is so widespread?

wvinson

Reaction score
Question??? Has ANYBODY been able to get the door wind noise corrected by a dealer? Mine has been in the shop twice and sent to their body shop twice and I still have the noise on the drivers side. It absolutely drives me nuts on a long trip, especially since the limited was the top of the line truck which I would expect would be whisper quiet in the interior. Why can't Ram just have a replacement seal engineered to cure this problem which is so widespread?
I just turned my lease in on a '22 Limited night edition and the wind noise is gone. Hope it stays that way. I gave up on trying to fix it on the '19 Limited. My '17 sport did the same thing. It's awesome being quiet again. Good luck!

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yea, I'd let the dealer mess with it. I have the noise. I can feel a bit of the air too. It is certainly coming in around the seal. I notice the seal is softer than on any vehicle I have had. It is not secured to the door very well either. This spring when it warms up I am going to glue the seal in place with black weatherstripping adhesive. I hope it helps. I shall see.

Bigga826

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I really think the seal is shrinking. I had the noise last winter, nothing in the spring and summer and now again the noise is back. Think the seals need re-engineering.

Muskiez

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I really think the seal is shrinking. I had the noise last winter, nothing in the spring and summer and now again the noise is back. Think the seals need re-engineering.
This is exactly the same for me. I live in MN with cold winters obviously. The wind noise gets pretty bad in winter especially with a head wind or cross wind. In the summer the truck is quiet as can be windy or not

KJ6MTJ

Reaction score
I've had that same noise taking place since day one. Intermittent, only happens on the highway, and seems to go away temporality when switching from recirc to outside air back to recirc. To me it appear to be near the outside air intake, checked window seals, door seals, was reading that it could possibly be the passenger electric folding mirror. Mines way out of warranty now a days at 45,000 miles. Its one of them things that i've learned to just to deal with it. One of these days I ought to pull out the glove box and see if it gets louder. Might verify if that baffle that closes for recirc is the culprit or not.

Muskiez

Reaction score
I've had that same noise taking place since day one. Intermittent, only happens on the highway, and seems to go away temporality when switching from recirc to outside air back to recirc. To me it appear to be near the outside air intake, checked window seals, door seals, was reading that it could possibly be the passenger electric folding mirror. Mines way out of warranty now a days at 45,000 miles. Its one of them things that i've learned to just to deal with it. One of these days I ought to pull out the glove box and see if it gets louder. Might verify if that baffle that closes for recirc is the culprit or not.
When I push the recirc button it definitely quiets the cab down when it’s howling. I would just drive with the recirc on if it didn’t fog the windows up on those cold days

Junior84

Reaction score
I have finally found the solution to my trucks teapot wind noise. My 2020 Limited is out of warranty and I wasn't going to take it to dealer. I tried all the various fixes and nothing seemed to work until I used dynamat at the base of the drivers A-pillar. It's tight, so I have a bunch of small pieces covering the area (especially where you see the foam filler). I then covered that with closed cell foam. Taking the speaker cover out and the speaker too gives you better access to the area. No noise since I did this. Hopefully this helps! It's so nice to drive without that God awful whistle!
How do you remove the A pillar?

RCJeff

Reaction score
I have the wind noise, most noticeable at rear of drivers door frame area. Can hear and FEEL major air movement. 2021 Hemi 3500 SRW. Very annoying, noticed mostly on long trip from OK to Iowa in freezing temps with windy conditions. Actually makes interior cold from airflow.
Made appt with dealership before I found this thread. Now hesitant to follow through with dealer as I don't want to get caught up in the game where they have my truck for a long period of MY time and find nothing. Ridiculous for $60k+ vehicle.

Sgoodwin1

Reaction score
Mine is a 2019 Rebel with sunroof have had the whistle noise with high cross winds going 70-80 mph. Seems like the fix is the door seals for the teapot whistle noise. Will have the dealership replace the seals.

iroc111

Reaction score
Have a 2019 Ram Bighorn 5.7 w/eTorque. Both front driver and passenger side windows leak air if there is a crosswind. Turning on Recirculate completely eliminates the problem. On a hunch, I decide to measure the air pressure inside the truck cabin with a phone app that is typically used to show changes in elevation, while driving about 65mph. The pressure increased to the equivalent of a 75 foot change in elevation (a decrease in elevation, more weight of the heavy atmosphere at lower elevation) when switching from recirculate to vent. I think what is happening is a large increase in cabin air pressure caused by fresh air coming into fresh air vents and into the cab at highway speeds. Pressing Recirculate stops the fresh outside air from coming in and pressurizing the cabin. If I press towards the top of the window on the glass I can recreate this air leak. Having recirculate on makes it much harder to cause this air leak by pressing on the glass. I have not yet check, but I'm guessing the 2 "bodyside aperture exhauster vents", located behind the rear seats backs and the truck bed, are blocked and not letting air to escape out of the cab to the outside. I found another individual who stated that both his were covered over with plastic film from the factory for some reason creating this whole problem, where high interior cabin pressure forces the truck doors and door glass out and away from the rubber seals, creating air leaks.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
... I'm guessing the 2 "bodyside aperture exhauster vents", located behind the rear seats backs and the truck bed, are blocked and not letting air to escape out of the cab to the outside. I found another individual who stated that both his were covered over with plastic film from the factory for some reason creating this whole problem, where high interior cabin pressure forces the truck doors and door glass out and away from the rubber seals, creating air leaks.
Do you have pictures of what you are referring to here?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I also plugged a hole near the A-pillar and the noise is better, but still there.
I'm going to see if there is a way to get more silicone in there
Ill upload the pictures when I am able to get them on the site.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
These are pictures of where I found a hole in the seal.
pic1.jpg pic2.jpg

Close up of hole
pic4.jpg

Pictures of it sealed (I think)
pic3.jpg
pic5.jpg

Here is a link to the Star case that gave me the idea to look over there.
Very easy job to get into it, very hard to fit anything in there.
I ended putting silicone on a Q tip, and then holding that q tip with a pair of needle noise pliers at an angle to kinda smear it in.

Noise is way better but not perfect so i'm likely to go back in but I need to figure out how to get caulking into such a small area.

bab0821

Reaction score
I'm also having all these issues, I have to keep truck for 6 mos or get a penalty for the rebates I got. Truck has been to dealership for 20 days and I got it mid January, 23. Is a 22. A pillar noise on passenger side, dealer wasn't able to find pin holes or anything in seal and is waiting for more info from chraisler on what to do next. I found the rag trick on here and they put them back in fore before I got it yesterday... I had an escalation but they basically just use empathy here and seem like don't do much to actually help. Worst vehicle experience ever. Today also getting door trying to force out in top corner sounding like not sealed in cross wind. Also have water coming in at times from bottom of doors, also have had buttons stop functioning on steering wheel I had to fix myself, hill roll back doesnt disable itself correctly was told to hit brake multiple times as workaround to get going on a hill to disable it lol and pretty sure have a bad idler pulley bearing or something....pile of garbage basically. Worst thing is owners of ram basically end up having to self mod stuff or fix problems....there shouldn't be this many problems on such new vehicles---terrible quality from the factory. I will be going back to Ford after this, worst problem had between last two between wife and I in almost 300,000 miles was literally a dragging e brake from non use and a speed sensor went out on her vehicle....that was it. Lol my 22 ram bighorn literally has had at least 6 problems....the only one that could be fixed so far is putting a vent back into dash "it could" be pulled out by hand previous....this only has 3000 miles.....wtf.

Pistons21

Reaction score
Wind noise FIXED!!!!!

If your experiencing a "tea kettle" type of whistle that usually starts around that 40 to 45 mph and doesn't go away. It usually changes with the recirc button, but doesn't really go away. The sound seems to be coming from the dash windshield area.

Before we found the actual problem here's the things we tried with no success: Replaced windshield, Replaced recirc actuator & door, Replaced Cowl vent panel, Tried caulking & sealing around windshield.

If this sounds like your truck it sounds crazy, but try this:
Inside the cowl panel on the drivers side, there is a seam where the two layers of metal meet. We trimmed off the "spray foam" around the plastic plug and used seam sealer to re-caulk the seam and around the plastic plug. Once it dried, we put the cowl vent panel back on, went for a drive, and NO NOISE!!!!

Hope this helps at least one person out there struggling with the same annoying wind noise that has been driving us nuts for months!

Here's some pics:
Just bought a 19 Limited and found out this weekend aboutthe tea kettle noise on a road trip. I was wondering how this fix was holding up.

Users who are viewing this thread