5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wind Noise

deanno33

Reaction score
I've read every thread here related to wind noise in the door / window but it doesn't seem that anyone posted any true fix. I have a 'air leak noise' upper rear of drivers window. Starts around 40 mph and gets louder as speed up. Sounds like window isn't fully up....very annoying right next to your ear when driving. Not overly loud but just plain annoying

At first I thought maybe it was from my window tint but the shop pulled the tint , cleaned the window and seals, same noise. I watch her reapply the tint, and there is nothing they do that would impact a seal. I've been to the dealer 5 times....twice where I left the truck with them.
  1. Adjusted my door both in and out in different areas
  2. Replaced door seal
  3. Replaced a piece of window moulding
  4. Replaced window seal
  5. Made some other adjustments, drove it a lot (25 miles even though freeway is right next to dealer :rolleyes:
Nothing worked. Finally, they said it's normal. I drove two other 2020 Rams from co-workers and theirs don't make the noise.

Has anyone else had this issue and found a fix? I looked at every seal. Nothing seems out of place. I've retracted the side mirrors, that's not it. The cab recirc for the AC isn't causing it. Just at a loss. Maybe something I need to live with I guess. I did call another local dealer to explain, and they wouldn't make an appointment since the other dealer had already started the process of fixing it. Said since they had already done things to the truck, they didn't know if their work (the new dealer) would be covered under warranty. Not sure I understand that, but may need to find a third dealer to check out.

RAM EAGLE

Reaction score
I was a service advisor for a couple Chev and a Cadillac dealers many years ago. The techs sometimes lit a cigarette and took the car out for a drive. They held the cig up to the seals and pillars looking for the smoke to be pulled or pushed around at the leak. Customers would freak out today but then , no big deal. A stick of incense would Probably work and smell better.

I don’t know what you’ve done yourself to find the problem, just thought I’d share a process. There have been a lot of views but no comments

deanno33

Reaction score
Not a bad idea with smoke, thanks. There are times I feel like there may be a tiny draft, but it could also be my imagination. I did try taping the entire door once, but used electrical tape so not thinking that really did the job. I heard of others using blue 3M? Only thing I can picture with that is painters tape?

The whole thing is maddening. Other than this issue, I love the truck.

Juli_hoop

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 19 rebel, I could not figure out where the wind noise was coming from. Same side as you, driver side towards the top of the window. Take a look at your trim pieces outside your door. There are two of them, mine are black. One for the back passenger door, and one for the front. I bet you the front one is getting loose and causing the wind noise. Same thing happened to mine but mine eventually flew off while on the freeway. As soon as it did, it was silent. Currently ordering another one and covered under warranty.

Juli_hoop

Reaction score
The piece towards the front.

Attachments

• C337C4A4-9118-45BA-B1FE-7B6F9BC8B56D.jpeg
    C337C4A4-9118-45BA-B1FE-7B6F9BC8B56D.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 107

deanno33

Reaction score
I bet you the front one is getting loose and causing the wind noise. Same thing happened to mine but mine eventually flew off while on the freeway. As soon as it did, it was silent. Currently ordering another one and covered under warranty.

Very interesting. I have just been checking the rubber seals and that's all the dealer has been focused on too (every door and window seal has been replaced and zero change to noise). I will look at this next and report back. Thank you!

mediaMaxim

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 19 rebel, I could not figure out where the wind noise was coming from. Same side as you, driver side towards the top of the window. Take a look at your trim pieces outside your door. There are two of them, mine are black. One for the back passenger door, and one for the front. I bet you the front one is getting loose and causing the wind noise. Same thing happened to mine but mine eventually flew off while on the freeway. As soon as it did, it was silent. Currently ordering another one and covered under warranty.

Yep, that's REALLY interesting. I've had the same issue from day one. I'll be checking the trim piece also. Thanks

mediaMaxim

Reaction score
WELL THERE IT IS!!!!! Thanks so much Juli_hoop!
I have no doubt this is where my wind noice is coming from. I can press down on the piece and tell the sound coming from the wind getting underneath. This solution will help a lot of people on here.

Attachments

• IMG_5526.jpeg
    IMG_5526.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5527.jpeg
    IMG_5527.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_5525.jpeg
    IMG_5525.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 119

Juli_hoop

Reaction score
WELL THERE IT IS!!!!! Thanks so much Juli_hoop!
I have no doubt this is where my wind noice is coming from. I can press down on the piece and tell the sound coming from the wind getting underneath. This solution will help a lot of people on here.

you bet, glad I could help.

mediaMaxim

Reaction score
So, what's the fix?

I already called my dealership and a new one will be in tomorrow for me. If it's just 2 sided tape, I'll install it at home myself. My service advisor is pretty good so it confirmed that the wind noise issue as come from there before.

Juli_hoop

Reaction score
I already called my dealership and a new one will be in tomorrow for me. If it's just 2 sided tape, I'll install it at home myself. My service advisor is pretty good so it confirmed that the wind noise issue as come from there before.

it’s not just double sided tape. It’s that plus 4-5 clips that hold it in place. Mine completely flew off on a windy day going 75 on the freeway. I’m also waiting for the part to come in to have it reinstalled.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had wind noise since new too. Mines pass side, I’d say rear door area. They say they never hear it or it’s normal. Just don’t want to keep taking it back in for nothing getting done

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
OMFG. It's so obvious from the pictures that piece is not on there properly.

deanno33

Reaction score
Unfortunately my pieces look like they are tight and in place. I may try taping that area though just to make sure the wind isn't coming through the plastic somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread