5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will this tailgate extender fit on my 5th gen?

dkehler

Reaction score
Picked this up for cheap with no hardware or instructions. Not sure if it’s the correct part?

Attachments

• 03D512EE-300E-4FFD-BF6A-9A62F63AEC2D.jpeg
    03D512EE-300E-4FFD-BF6A-9A62F63AEC2D.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 65

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You inadvertently answered your own question. You have no hardware for mounting it. So no, it won't fit as is. You'll need the mounting hardware (hinges and screws). You might also need to adjust the width of it to fit your tailgate opening. You should be able to find instructions online which show you how to do that. It looks like the AMP Research bed extender. They may even sell the mounting hardware you'll need to mount it. It's worth contacting them about getting whatever you are missing. And the installation guide is available on their website...

dkehler

Reaction score
It says Ram on the back which led me to believe it was a Mopar part. Obviously I have to buy the hardware separately and Mopar sells it. I was uncertain whether the part I bought it was for a fifth generation or for a classic and was hoping someone here had installed one.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It says Ram on the back which led me to believe it was a Mopar part. Obviously I have to buy the hardware separately and Mopar sells it. I was uncertain whether the part I bought it was for a fifth generation or for a classic and was hoping someone here had installed one.
Them make them for pretty much all brands of pickup. 4th gen and 5th gen Ram 1500 versions look pretty much the same, so there's no way of telling based on your photo. I had one of those on a 2017 Rebel I used to own. It said RAM on it as well. I bought it from Amazon, and the listing said it was build by AMP Research. I'm pretty sure the ones you buy from a dealership are built by AMP as well.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have had the same bed extender on my 99 my 03 and my 15 that I originally bought for my 13. I bought mounts for each truck. And it foes to the one i am using it in

It will work...may have to adjust ever so slightly...but I doubt

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When you buy the mounts they will come with a template to install...pretty sure it is universal to all bed sizes from all makes.

Then just adjust the bars to make it wider or narrower...but I bet...it will be damn close 20210925_135135.jpg

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Thought I checked the website a few times, couldn't find out exactly how they mount. Do I have to drill into the truck bed? That may make it a no go for me, besides them being 20 wks out, last I checked.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thought I checked the website a few times, couldn't find out exactly how they mount. Do I have to drill into the truck bed? That may make it a no go for me, besides them being 20 wks out, last I checked.
Yes you have to drill into the bed to attach the mount. Did you think tape or chewing gum was going to do the job?

Where are you seeing 20 weeks out? It’s available now on Amazon and multiple Mopar sites.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread