5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the transfer case clutches slip if

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you haven't been stuck before, you haven't been 4 wheeling before. It is an inevitable fate if you do any serious off roading. Driving fire roads through the National Forests does not count as 4 wheeling.

You should be able to pull out a truck or boat. We used to drag each other out of mud holes regularly well before "snatch straps" came along. We just had cables and chains. Couldn't afford winches.

I remember my wife (girlfriend at the time) exclaim "water is coming in" when I got stuck in a mudhole once. Well dear, it's not a boat. That water half way up the door is going to leak in. Don't open it!

Last edited:

Jeff1322

Reaction score
If you haven't been stuck before, you haven't been 4 wheeling before. It is an inevitable fate if you do any serious off roading. Driving fire roads through the National Forests does not count as 4 wheeling.

You should be able to pull out a truck or boat. We used to drag each other out of mud holes regularly well before "snatch straps" came along. We just had cables and chains. Couldn't afford winches.

I remember my wife (girlfriend at the time) exclaim "water is coming in" when I got stuck in a mudhole once. Well dear, it's not a boat. That water half way up the door is going to leak in. Don't open it!
I never went 4 wheeling just for fun but when working off road I got stuck more than a few times. That was back when trucks were mechanical without all the electronic conveniences and we had a tractor or loader handy. I did not realize how much they have changed and how vulnerable they have become. I guess I need a truck that when I pull the lever for 4 wheel I can feel the gears rolling over after I have gotten out and manually locked the hubs in.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Watching that guy's video all the way when he shows the ATVs, it's obvious he doesn't know how to recover vehicles from being stuck. Yanking a full size vehicle out of the mud is different than pulling a light weight ATV out. You need to use a snatch strap or rope and yank on vehicles. You can't do a slow steady pulls especially if they are stuck deep.

I've done some mudding with my truck, and a lot of playing in the snow. Been stuck and pulled out, helped others get out. Never had any issues with my transfer case.

Nope he has no clue. Only been doing it for close to 30 years on a regular basis. From what I heard he was forced to use the equipment available, which was a looped strap over the hitch ball, which is never ideal, which is why he didn't yank on the strap like a fool...aside from the fact that yanking on the strap in loose gravel would have instantly buried the truck.

LouNY

Reaction score
I have been stuck a couple of times myself and have unstuck a few other vehicles.
I've never had a stretch strap or stretchable rope, I have looked at them a few times and I may end up
buying one some day.
I have always tightened up the chain or tow strap then gotten into the throttle a bit.
It hasn't mattered if it's been been a Jeep or pickup truck, a heavy tractor or a small tractor.

My last tow was a Kia Soul with my 10,000 pound chained on all 4 tractor, I slowly and gently tightened the chain,
then changed gears and drove of gently bring it right along with me.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I liked the part when he's like "if he didn't have the OEM tires he wouldn't get stuck like that. Mine has aftermarkets" then proceeds to get himself stuck LOL.
Anyone is allowed to make "informational" Youtube videos.

Can you post the time stamp where he says that? I watched several times and I never heard him say that. In fact, I don't even see where he got stuck.

True, we always used chains and cables, until the day one broke and the only thing that kept us from dying is the tailgate took the blow and got destroyed. At least it kept the clevis hook from going through the back glass and taking one of us out.

After that I always used straps without hooks, and never a chain. Couldn't even afford a winch until a couple years ago, and sadly on these Rams it's such a hassle that I don't have one on mine. You just have to made use of what you've got sometimes.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can you post the time stamp where he says that? I watched several times and I never heard him say that. In fact, I don't even see where he got stuck.

True, we always used chains and cables, until the day one broke and the only thing that kept us from dying is the tailgate took the blow and got destroyed. At least it kept the clevis hook from going through the back glass and taking one of us out.

After that I always used straps without hooks, and never a chain. Couldn't even afford a winch until a couple years ago, and sadly on these Rams it's such a hassle that I don't have one on mine. You just have to made use of what you've got sometimes.
It's toward the end when they are riding the ATVs. His son tries to go through the "big hole" and gets stuck again. But almost makes it out. Makes a comment saying he probably would have made it if his son didn't have the factory tires on his ATV. Then shows the aftermarket tires on his AtV and proceeds to get stuck in same holez and didn't even make it as.fsr as his sone did.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score

Never had a chain retract. Only broke one though, cheap Home Depot chain. The link snapped and it dropped. I still have the same chain I carried when 4 wheeling as a kid. It is in the shed now and haven't carried it since retiring from crazy jeep days but it is a logging chain. Had a loader pull my dump truck out with it before. I don't think a pickup could break it.

I do carry a snatch strap in the truck along with synthetic tie offs. They are light and compact. Haven't used them but you never know if an emergency comes up. Big drawback is they only last for a few snatches and need to be replaced. My logging chain is eons old though not as efficient.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
17:30

LouNY

Reaction score
We, as myself and others that I have worked with on the farm have broken several chains. I have seen a couple that tryed to fly,
however I believe almost all of those involved the chain getting jerked. The ones that broke from steady pulls did not fly very much at all.
Most all the broken ones happened when the towing operator didn't smoothly tighten the chain, or when we got into a wheel hop situation with either unit.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Watching that guy's video all the way when he shows the ATVs, it's obvious he doesn't know how to recover vehicles from being stuck. Yanking a full size vehicle out of the mud is different than pulling a light weight ATV out. You need to use a snatch strap or rope and yank on vehicles. You can't do a slow steady pulls especially if they are stuck deep.

I've done some mudding with my truck, and a lot of playing in the snow. Been stuck and pulled out, helped others get out. Never had any issues with my transfer case.

That's WXman's YouTube channel. :LOL:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
If he is asking questions about the video, I doubt it's his video
I can guarantee it's his channel. He stated so a few months ago.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I can guarantee it's his channel. He stated so a few months ago.

Maybe his channel but wasn't his video, otherwise he wouldn't be asking questions like this Screenshot_20230102-130227.png

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I thought the shift on demand transfer cases were always clutch operated, and only the rear did could be locked (if equipped).

Mr. Grumpy

Reaction score
Maybe he didn’t want people to know that it was his video to prevent what’s happening right now. I’ve been following his channel for a while and I’m sure that @WXman is the owner of the channel.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Maybe he didn’t want people to know that it was his video to prevent what’s happening right now. I’ve been following his channel for a while and I’m sure that @WXman is the owner of the channel.

What's happening right now? Someone being critical of his content?

Users who are viewing this thread