5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the transfer case clutches slip if

Jeff1322

Reaction score
On a 2019 5.7 with 4 auto type transfer case and if the ESC is completely turned off (5 second disable) and in 4 lock, or 4 low, will the clutches slip if the load is too heavy? I opted not to pull a truck with boat trailer loaded at a boat launch out because I didn't know if I would damage the clutches.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On a 2019 5.7 with 4 auto type transfer case and if the ESC is completely turned off (5 second disable) and in 4 lock, or 4 low, will the clutches slip if the load is too heavy? I opted not to pull a truck with boat trailer loaded at a boat launch out because I didn't know if I would damage the clutches.
Only use 4low to pull someone out. The ESC is automatically disabled in 4low.
Clutches in general are designed to slip before anything including the clutches are damaged,
but not sure about the Ram. I have heard others talk about not getting on and off the power to help with the clutches not overheating.

LouNY

Reaction score
The 19's have a slightly different t-case from the previous rams, very similar but a bit different.
On both of them once the electrical activation has been done on t-case front output there is a ball and ramp
function that will increase the clamping force on the clutch pak. The more traction the rear is getting the more force it can put to the front t-case output clutch.
I don't believe disabling the ESC does a thing to the clutch activation.
I would not worry about trying to tow another vehicle if that Ram can't do that simple task it needs to go back to the scrap yard.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I thought disabling the ESC removed the computer action and locked up the clutches. Will the switch you have linked lock the clutches with more force allowing a harder pull without slipping?
The ESC does not affect the transfer case.
The ESC system enhances directional control and stability of the vehicle under various driving conditions. ESC corrects for oversteering or understeering of the vehicle by applying the brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting the oversteer or understeer condition. Engine power may also be reduced to help the vehicle maintain the desired path. ESC uses sensors in the vehicle to determine the vehicle path intended by the driver and compares it to the actual path of the vehicle. When the actual path does not match the intended path, ESC applies the brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting the oversteer or understeer condition.

Suggest you contact the switch maker with your questions

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 19's have a slightly different t-case from the previous rams, very similar but a bit different.
On both of them once the electrical activation has been done on t-case front output there is a ball and ramp
function that will increase the clamping force on the clutch pak. The more traction the rear is getting the more force it can put to the front t-case output clutch.
I don't believe disabling the ESC does a thing to the clutch activation.
I would not worry about trying to tow another vehicle if that Ram can't do that simple task it needs to go back to the scrap yard.

ESC enables wheel braking and power reduction designed to limit wheel slip. Does not do anything to the clutch in the differential as far as my research goes.

I would think the clutch would not slip simply pulling someone up the boat ramp. That is simply a case of a vehicle just spinning due to wet ram, incline, and probably only one wheel spinning.

It is not buried and stuck, where others have had issues.

Jeff1322

Reaction score
How big of a boat?
The boat was about 21 foot and probably less than 4000 pounds. The problem was that when you put the boat on the trailer it is still for the most part floating. If you don't pull out in a steady consistent pull when the trailer picks up the boat load if you stop the trailer tires will sink about 6 to 8 inches in the soft sand bottom. At that point if the truck breaks a driveshaft it is a hard pull out because not just the weight of the truck and boat but the trailer is sunk in the sand which doesn't sound like much but it is. I have the "soccer mom" transfer case and didn't know if it was up to the task.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The boat was about 21 foot and probably less than 4000 pounds. The problem was that when you put the boat on the trailer it is still for the most part floating. If you don't pull out in a steady consistent pull when the trailer picks up the boat load if you stop the trailer tires will sink about 6 to 8 inches in the soft sand bottom. At that point if the truck breaks a driveshaft it is a hard pull out because not just the weight of the truck and boat but the trailer is sunk in the sand which doesn't sound like much but it is. I have the "soccer mom" transfer case and didn't know if it was up to the task.
I’ve launched and recovered a lot of boats and I have have to say I have never seen a boat launch where the trailer tires ever get into the lake or river bottom. I’ve always used concrete ramps.

What kind of ramp is that?

Jeff1322

Reaction score
I’ve launched and recovered a lot of boats and I have have to say I have never seen a boat launch where the trailer tires ever get into the lake or river bottom. I’ve always used concrete ramps.

What kind of ramp is that?
They are DNR ramps in Michigan. One on lake Michigan's East Bay and another on Bear Lake. Buy the end of the season the sand builds up to a foot deep on the concrete. The DNR only clean it out when everyone complains about getting stuck.

Mr. Grumpy

Reaction score
I contacted the guy and this is what he said, “Hello, this harness will not work for your truck. I am however working on one that will. Please check back with me in a month or so and I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks
Brandon”.

Attachments

• 0832FF1F-6DED-4560-B554-73E24B8914DD.jpeg
    0832FF1F-6DED-4560-B554-73E24B8914DD.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 22

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'll just drop this here.

Watching that guy's video all the way when he shows the ATVs, it's obvious he doesn't know how to recover vehicles from being stuck. Yanking a full size vehicle out of the mud is different than pulling a light weight ATV out. You need to use a snatch strap or rope and yank on vehicles. You can't do a slow steady pulls especially if they are stuck deep.

I've done some mudding with my truck, and a lot of playing in the snow. Been stuck and pulled out, helped others get out. Never had any issues with my transfer case.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Watching that guy's video all the way when he shows the ATVs, it's obvious he doesn't know how to recover vehicles from being stuck. Yanking a full size vehicle out of the mud is different than pulling a light weight ATV out. You need to use a snatch strap or rope and yank on vehicles. You can't do a slow steady pulls especially if they are stuck deep.

I've done some mudding with my truck, and a lot of playing in the snow. Been stuck and pulled out, helped others get out. Never had any issues with my transfer case.
I liked the part when he's like "if he didn't have the OEM tires he wouldn't get stuck like that. Mine has aftermarkets" then proceeds to get himself stuck LOL.
Anyone is allowed to make "informational" Youtube videos.

I would also second not having issues with the transfer case getting stuff unstuck.
Obviously use the right kind of tethers and the proper gear mode.
You wouldn't want to use 4-auto. 4hi or 4lo (depending on how stuck they really are, obviously 4lo is preferred but both would in theory work.

Isn't that mod just for the classic?
Tom
Correct. I posted it above. It's not for our trucks\transfer cases. I don't think there would be a need for it?

Jeff1322

Reaction score
I contacted the guy and this is what he said, “Hello, this harness will not work for your truck. I am however working on one that will. Please check back with me in a month or so and I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks
Brandon”.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Users who are viewing this thread