5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the H.O. Hurricane be the engine for the 2500 redesign?

bburkett08

Reaction score
If so will it require premium fuel? I'd prefer a hemi with the oil/lifter issue, and the manifold bolts issue fixed. Other reading indicates the Hurricane is a result of carbon credits, the cost to purchase, CAFE standards and the impact to the bottom line.

bansheexyz

Reaction score
Don't forget the exhaust system for the ram hemis is loud in a high pitched bad way, something to do with the y-pipe design before the cat. I believe the hurricane has resolved this. I'm very interested in a 2500 hurricane. They could honestly even offer just the standard output too since its specs exceed the v8.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Don't forget the exhaust system for the ram hemis is loud in a high pitched bad way, something to do with the y-pipe design before the cat. I believe the hurricane has resolved this. I'm very interested in a 2500 hurricane. They could honestly even offer just the standard output too since its specs exceed the v8.
The SO does not exceed the v8 in the 2500 even per the specs...

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The 6.4 Hemi in the HD pickup is 410/429.

Quoting other platform numbers in the context of this thread is disingenuous at best.

Also keep in mind the screenshots above in @mikeru82 post would appear to be from the HD (Hemi) and some other non HD (HurryCane) platform. Towing numbers will be higher when it becomes available in the HD trucks.

dammitbobby

Reaction score
I remember watching a YouTube video sometime last year about a dodge mechanic going to a training regarding the new hurricane engine. Pretty much what he said was that the standard output and the HO are basically two different engines they share same straight 6 twin turbo design but that’s where it ends. If they do put a version of the hurricane in the 2500 I foresee it being an engine that is almost completely unrecognizable from the current HO.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The 6.4 Hemi in the HD pickup is 410/429.

Quoting other platform numbers in the context of this thread is disingenuous at best.

Also keep in mind the screenshots above in @mikeru82 post would appear to be from the HD (Hemi) and some other non HD (HurryCane) platform. Towing numbers will be higher when it becomes available in the HD trucks.
The screenshots I posted came from the HD and 1500 build sites on ramtrucks.com. Click the "more info" links for each engine and they pop up.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I'd be very surprised if the new 2500 comes with a 3.0 liter engine of any variant, Hurricane S.O/H.O or otherwise. I feel like the Hurricane would give up the ghost earlier than a 6.4 Hemi or a 6.7 Cummins. Unless they're planning on unleashing a larger I6 turbo, maybe a 4.0-5.0 Liter, let's call it the Tornado! I'd drive a 2500 Tornado!

Edit: My apologies in advanced if I missed some announcement that the Hurricane IS the new 2500 engine.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The screenshots I posted came from the HD and 1500 build sites on ramtrucks.com. Click the "more info" links for each engine and they pop up.

There are two 6.4 variants, the BGE (only found in the 2500) and the SRT which is the 6.4 used everywhere else. There is a tuning difference but also some physical differences, they do share the same block now for a number of years.

The BGE is tuned for duty cycle and low end power, the SRT for street driving and high HP.

For 1500 usage, the SRT would be a great fit.

silver billet

Reaction score
I'd be very surprised if the new 2500 comes with a 3.0 liter engine of any variant, Hurricane S.O/H.O or otherwise. I feel like the Hurricane would give up the ghost earlier than a 6.4 Hemi or a 6.7 Cummins. Unless they're planning on unleashing a larger I6 turbo, maybe a 4.0-5.0 Liter, let's call it the Tornado! I'd drive a 2500 Tornado!

Edit: My apologies in advanced if I missed some announcement that the Hurricane IS the new 2500 engine.

I'd be very surprised as well. We've discussed (ie: beaten into submission) this a number of times, my thoughts are it'll never happen. Even Ford doesn't turbo charge their super dutys. Just a really big NA 7.3; simple pushrod, no fancy cylinder deactivation. Engineer was interviewed by TFL and the two main reasons are duty cycle and fuel efficiency.

We can even see Ram knows this with the two different 6.4's. There are reasons for those differences, and those reasons are why I'd be shocked if the little whizzers end up in the 2500.

Dewey

Reaction score
Put the SRT 6.4 with 485 hp in a 2500 and I’ll order one today.

Hopefully they don’t put the Hurricane in the 2500. They already alienated enough customers by removing the Hemi in the 1500.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe either Ram or Ford could put their turbo 6 motors in an HD with a proper cooling stack and have tremendous results.
But I guarantee neither of them wants to be the first to do it because it will definitely crater sales initially due to perceived issues and reputation, so both will continue offering V8 Gas engines until the other party finds success first.

MT755

Reaction score
They could offer a hurricane with all the upgraded parts of the ho but not at that hp. Maybe 440 hp and 520 lbs.

Also, diesel have had turbos for years and years without much of an issue. The turbo issues started with the use of the variable vane mechanism. The Hurricrane doesn't have this add on.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Put the SRT 6.4 with 485 hp in a 2500 and I’ll order one today.

Hopefully they don’t put the Hurricane in the 2500. They already alienated enough customers by removing the Hemi in the 1500.

You can no longer get the Hemi in the higher trim HD's either... Cummins only.

"Low order take." less than 5% of the Longhorn and Limited orders were Hemi so they dropped the option. I think it's even gone as an option in the Laramie for 2024. That means they're probably running out of engines for builds. I took a quick look and it appears only 4x4 tradesman and Bighorn can get a Hemi for 2024. Order banks will close soon...

2025 HD hasn't opened up yet so despite the rumors of a new 8 speed behind the Cummins, there're really not anything new except maybe a new nose. That said, I have it on good authority the new Cummins (I'm estimating 450HP/1200 lb.ft) and 8-speed ZF Powerline still won't be coming for a few years. Ram is going to lose HD sales to Ferd...

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They could offer a hurricane with all the upgraded parts of the ho but not at that hp. Maybe 440 hp and 520 lbs.

Also, diesel have had turbos for years and years without much of an issue. The turbo issues started with the use of the variable vane mechanism. The Hurricrane doesn't have this add on.

Because VVT is used for exhaust braking. The current version is pretty reliable except for maybe high mileage older rigs and then it's not the vane assembly so much as failed actuator motors.

Meh, it's a wear item. I'm of the opinion that you have to use it or it will soot up and be a problem sooner rather than later.

Dewey

Reaction score
You can no longer get the Hemi in the higher trim HD's either... Cummins only.

"Low order take." less than 5% of the Longhorn and Limited orders were Hemi so they dropped the option. I think it's even gone in as an option in the Laramie for 2024. That means they're probably running out of engines for builds. I took a quick look and it appears only 4x4 tradesman and Bighorn can get a Hemi for 2024. Order banks will close soon...

2025 HD hasn't opened up yet so despite the rumors of a new 8 speed behind the Cummins, there're really not anything new except maybe a new nose. That said, I have it on good authority the new Cummins (I'm estimating 450HP/1200 lb.ft) and 8-speed ZF Powerline still won't be coming for a few years. Ram is going to lose HD sales to Ferd...
That’s too bad. Hate to hear that. RAM is really dropping the ball lately.

Users who are viewing this thread