5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will car wash damage my 2020 ram 1500?

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you off-road like I do, then you probably will need to do a paint correction every 4-5 years.
FB_IMG_1650994930565.jpg
Also went to Uwharrie, Gulches, and everywhere between.
Also, that 4-5 years is based on when I typically get rid of my primary vehicle, I like to shine them up before selling them. If it kept it longer, I probably won't need to do it.
Well, yeah, if you get rid of your vehicle every 4-5 years and stick the next sucker with beat up paint... :LOL:
Also, most new vehicles could uses a proper polish and coating as they can often be swirled up during the time they arrive and sit at a dealership. Look at any new black vehicle sitting at most lots, it's swirl city. But that's up to whatever standard you have.
And people think I'm crazy for telling the dealer to leave my vehicles dirty when they get to the lot.
The quote you noted about me saying it looks better than my hand washing was more overexaggerating of how impressed I've been with my auto wash.
Definitely an over-exaggeration. 🍻

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
View attachment 127764
Also went to Uwharrie, Gulches, and everywhere between.

Well, yeah, if you get rid of your vehicle every 4-5 years and stick the next sucker with beat up paint... :LOL:

And people think I'm crazy for telling the dealer to leave my vehicles dirty when they get to the lot.

Definitely an over-exaggeration. 🍻

Not like that, but I do sometimes get light pinstriping due to types of plants on our trails. So yeah, a proper polish is required to remove them.

I've only been hand washing my primary vehicles until recently, but I get them polished professionally and coated before sale. So no suckers getting bad paint from me. Also, I'm meticulous with maintenance and have high mechanical sympathy, so anyone getting one of my cars would be happy with what they got.

Sure, an overgeneration, but still looks good to my eyes. We both generally agree on hand washing is better, where we don't agree is how bad are auto washes. With my experience with my particular car wash, I think it's fine. But again, as I mentioned many times, not everyone's experience is going to be the same.

Funny, reading your comments is like looking into a mirror just a short time ago. Word for word I would likely have said the same thing if I hadn't had my experiences with this car wash.

We are on the same team man, we just don't quite agree here, but that's fine, I'm not trying to convince anyone to do it, just that I haven't had any bad experiences, so far. Even I am open minded that I may not always hold this opinion.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We both generally agree on hand washing is better, where we don't agree is how bad are auto washes.
Sure. I know they're garbage and you explain away that they're "as good or better" because you like the convenience. Nothing wrong with that, but we don't need to lie to ourselves. I'm OCD and you're good with whatever results you're getting.
Funny, reading your comments is like looking into a mirror just a short time ago. Word for word I would likely have said the same thing if I hadn't had my experiences with this car wash.
I'd have said the same thing, before I learned the right way to clean paint.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Sure. I know they're garbage and you explain away that they're "as good or better" because you like the convenience. Nothing wrong with that, but we don't need to lie to ourselves. I'm OCD and you're good with whatever results you're getting.

I'd have said the same thing, before I learned the right way to clean paint.

I already explained the good or better comment, twice now right? Not lying to myself, I already agreed with you hand washing is better. But the results have been very good so far, surprising even myself, I'm as shocked as you that I feel that way. I was looking for any excuse to prove that auto washes suck, and guess what, the one I use doesn't.

I know the right way to clean paint, but found one good enough even for my taste that I am fine with.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
It takes me 1 hour to wash and dry my truck. I use my power washer for the wheels and tires, a bucket of McGuire's Gold Class Car Wash, a microfiber wash mitt and two microfiber drying towels. I blow dry using a leaf blower before I towel dry my truck. That's about how long it takes to go through an automatic wash after you consider sitting in line for the wash, and having to dry it off because the blowers just don't work that well and still having to clean the wheels. None of the local car washes get my truck nearly as clean. The wheels look like crap and the area around the badges always have dirt left behind.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I had a two hour wait at the doctors office, and all the magazines are wokes people weekly lol. That should be it though, I'm down to 10% power.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
eaea5464c882ec0e7832dbd8660496a3.jpg

Wife didn’t wash her car in a month after all these random snow storms. Foam cannon, blow dry, then wiped with some ceramic detailer. Squeaky clean in less than an 45min.

It’s a metallic black car under the foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I already explained the good or better comment, twice now right? Not lying to myself, I already agreed with you hand washing is better. But the results have been very good so far, surprising even myself, I'm as shocked as you that I feel that way. I was looking for any excuse to prove that auto washes suck, and guess what, the one I use doesn't.

I know the right way to clean paint, but found one good enough even for my taste that I am fine with.
Sure, you explained it. Explain it 100 more times if you want. I'll continue to be amused at that comment and the repeated assertion of some level of expertise.

Sorry if that bothers you, but it shouldn't.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
eaea5464c882ec0e7832dbd8660496a3.jpg

Wife didn’t wash her car in a month after all these random snow storms. Foam cannon, blow dry, then wiped with some ceramic detailer. Squeaky clean in less than an 45min.

It’s a metallic black car under the foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My truck is ceramic coated, although I'm not very happy with it, and I have a foam cannon. Still requires a hand wash after the foam cannon to remove the dirt's. Did I mention I wasn't happy with the ceramic coating in the truck. Had I know the shop I used had crap quality now, I wouldn't have used them again. But the previous vehicle I had was done by the same shop and it was awesome.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spends what $40K+ on a truck and can’t be bothered taking what an hour or two a week to do a proper hand wash.. the logic here is amazing lol. I could understand is it was $1k beater Honda but cmon these trucks aren’t cheap. Most of us kill more time watching their favorite sports team multiple times a week.

Sure if your swapping trucks every few years not a big deal right pawn it on the next buyer or come on here complaining about Rams quality because their clear coats taking a beating weekly.

I’m extremely busy most weeks but even I can find the time to do a proper wash at least every two weeks or so and I’m constantly on the road working so it’s coin wash bay and two bucket method or I just leave it dirty until the jobs over and I’m heading back home then do a wash there. Usually never takes more then an hour or so using pressure washer and blower. Interiors done weekly because I can’t stand a dirty interior.

Like others have mentioned foam cannon, pressure washer and blower and keeping your truck waxed or ceramic coated every once in awhile really helps make the process quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Sure, you explained it. Explain it 100 more times if you want. I'll continue to be amused at that comment and the repeated assertion of some level of expertise.

Sorry if that bothers you, but it shouldn't.

No worries man, I wasn't bothered, I was just bored sitting in a waiting room and our conversation was interesting.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Spends what $40K+ on a truck and can’t be bothered taking what an hour or two a week to do a proper hand wash.. the logic here is amazing lol. I could understand is it was $1k beater Honda but cmon these trucks aren’t cheap. Most of us kill more time watching their favorite sports team multiple times a week.

Sure if your swapping trucks every few years not a big deal right pawn it on the next buyer or come on here complaining about Rams quality because their clear coats taking a beating weekly.

I’m extremely busy most weeks but even I can find the time to do a proper wash at least every two weeks or so and I’m constantly on the road working so it’s coin wash bay and two bucket method or I just leave it dirty until the jobs over and I’m heading back home then do a wash there. Usually never takes more then an hour or so using pressure washer and blower. Interiors done weekly because I can’t stand a dirty interior.

Like others have mentioned foam cannon, pressure washer and blower and keeping your truck waxed or ceramic coated every once in awhile really helps make the process quicker.

Worse than that man, more like an hour or two every 2-months. My truck lives in a garage and I work from home, so it doesn't get that dirty often. I actually like the quality of my paint, I've mentioned many times of the high fit and finish of my truck and that it's been almost flawless (cosmetically & mechanically) even for a 2019. You won't hear me complaining.

I'm almost 50 years old, yet have a couple a young kids, so I'm about as lazy as I can get these days. Luckily I found an auto wash that does a good job (for me) and I've made the compromise to use it. It's certainly not the best way, but fits my current priorities.

mophead

Reaction score
Even the laser touchless/brushless washes aren't really very good for your finish. They leave all kinds of difficult to remove GOOP with their "spotless" and "deep shine" and "lasting protection" BS. Did I mention your car is still dirty under all that GOOP? I haven't a clue about cleaning anything so might just have my head up my butt?

Last edited:

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some things I’ll point out about touchless washes..

- watch the amount of pressure those washers are putting out.. now think about how close they get to your paint what maybe a few inches.. that can be good on your clear coat. You would never pressure wash anything you care about that close unless you were intentionally trying to remove whatever your washing.

- yeah they rely heavy on bulk chemicals. Most probably aren’t worth a damn and probably doing more harm then good. All the additional rinseless, wax this, wax that.. just upscale selling very seldom worth it and do a horrible job 99% of the time.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When these threads pop up I never know how long exactly it's supposed to take for car washes to ruin your paint? Admittedly my trucks are usually 3-4 years old when I get rid of them, but they are run through the car wash at least once a week (providing it's over 20 degrees) during my ownership.

It would be nice to have more time AND live in a warm part of the country, but up here I'll take the risky car wash and keep my trucks rust free on the body and underside. Each time I've traded in my previous 3 rams I did so outside my home town with an agreed upon price before stepping foot into the dealership, never have had any issue with body/paint condition effecting my value once I arrived and they looked over the truck.

I'm sure my truck doesn't look as good as people that hand wash, and if you want to hand wash your truck/underside in 25 degree weather every week or two to keep the rust from starting, you truly have my admiration for your dedication.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When these threads pop up I never know how long exactly it's supposed to take for car washes to ruin your paint? Admittedly my trucks are usually 3-4 years old when I get rid of them, but they are run through the car wash at least once a week (providing it's over 20 degrees) during my ownership.

It would be nice to have more time AND live in a warm part of the country, but up here I'll take the risky car wash and keep my trucks rust free on the body and underside. Each time I've traded in my previous 3 rams I did so outside my home town with an agreed upon price before stepping foot into the dealership, never have had any issue with body/paint condition effecting my value once I arrived and they looked over the truck.

I'm sure my truck doesn't look as good as people that hand wash, and if you want to hand wash your truck/underside in 25 degree weather every week or two to keep the rust from starting, you truly have my admiration for your dedication.
Not ruin, damage, and that's immediate. "Ruining" the paint depends on a lot of different factors.

I'm from Ohio. When I lived up here, I drove a "winter beater" I didn't care about or I sprayed it down in a bay once a week and then gave it a proper cleaning in the spring.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The majority seems to like those monthly car wash places years ago in my small town there use to be maybe one car wash here and one coin operated one that wash usually broke or trashed from the idiot mud trucks that don’t clean up after them selves. Now there’s probably three and another one being built that advertises their monthly memberships heavily and those places stay packed. I always laugh when I drive by and see all the micro scratches and swirls from a mile away both newer and older vehicles.

Hey you can’t convince those who pay $30+ a month why their paint looks the way that it does. Meanwhile they think you spend a ridiculous amount of time every week cleaning up yours just like guys I work with and I tell them nope a little money/time/common sense goes a long way..

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question for you winter up north guys. So when it’s the nice season are you still using those car washes or do you switch to handwashing again?

Islander

Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I am retired with lots af free time and am OCD about keeping our vehicles clean. I can't stand the thought of anyone touching my paint but me.

Yeah I spend 3-4 hrs every week washing/detailing...but hey I probably burn 1000 calories in the process which means I can indulge in beer & Pringles afterwards with no guilt whatsoever lol :)

Users who are viewing this thread