5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will 2018 topper fit 2019-2020?

slowjam

Reaction score
Just to update my original post, so I wound up buying a 2020 RAM 1500. The cap off my 2018 fits!
I do notice it sits a bit higher as the new bed is 1” taller. Also it is a hair wider as far as the gap along the bed sides go. It is a very minimal difference; and I’m probably the only one who can spot these fitment differences...

bryan weaver

Reaction score
Just to update my original post, so I wound up buying a 2020 RAM 1500. The cap off my 2018 fits!
I do notice it sits a bit higher as the new bed is 1” taller. Also it is a hair wider as far as the gap along the bed sides go. It is a very minimal difference; and I’m probably the only one who can spot these fitment differences...
can you post a few pics of the subtle differences?

jellis466

Reaction score
bringing this thread back up to see if anyone has any other input on a 4th gen camper on a 5th gen. 5th gen shells are just too expensive right now. A 4th gen camper for a few hundred might justify it being a little off...

Pcustoms

Reaction score

Thread bump.

Looking for more pics of how a 4th gen cap fits on a 5th gen, specifically the roof lines.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
This thread helped me decide to pull the trigger on a cap for my truck. 4th gen topper on a 5th gen. It’s not perfect, but the price was great so I’ll live with the nitpicks. Sharing some pics to show my appreciation

da3b3cd29bef9d0f2ac243c3eee71486.jpg

45b885fb89bfae2c6742f1cb784db46f.jpg

256f815065e76a6643f6c4e5d14200a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danwinters90

Reaction score
Where did everyone wire to for the brake light? Does it light up the dash or throw error codes? Thanks.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Where did everyone wire to for the brake light? Does it light up the dash or throw error codes? Thanks.

i added a curt harness in my trailer light wiring (all plug and play) so i could put some small reverse LEDs under my truck. since i don’t care about cutting into a $30 harness, i just grabbed the brake light power there. ran it up into my bed and made some quick connects for the third brake light. i’ll take pics here in a bit for you.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
My friend is looking to get a new topper as well after installing the new rotors and wheels from 4Wheelonline this week. Thank you for sharing this.

anytime! i can dig up the part number for the curt adapter if he ends up needing it. those little lights i mounted in my hitch were like 12 bucks a piece on amazon 2 years ago and they are super bright. they were a fantastic addition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlackLabRebel

Reaction score
anytime! i can dig up the part number for the curt adapter if he ends up needing it. those little lights i mounted in my hitch were like 12 bucks a piece on amazon 2 years ago and they are super bright. they were a fantastic addition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'd be interested that that part number for the curt adapter you mentioned.

scooch

Reaction score

slowjam - dearchristopher - Rich51

Reviving an old thread, hoping one of you could chime in. I've tried 2 different tops from a 2018 classic (Snugtop HiLiner and ARE MX) and the rails don't fit whatsoever. Perhaps the Snugtop and ARE are unique in that they both have inner lips on the rail portion for better fitment, and maybe whichever toppers yall used just have a flat bottom which would cause the slightly narrow 5th gen bed-size to not matter?

On the cab-side, the inner rail measurement is a good 1.5-2" wider on the 4th-gen topper than on my 5th Gen. So I'd have to cut the topper rails lip and corner quite a bit to make it 'fall' into place onto my truck bed rails properly. Which I would do if cheap enough, but these were both priced high for a used mid-rise.

Looking for some more detail on how you guys fit your 4th gen toppers on. What brand topper was it and what bed size / crew/extended trucks do you have? Did you guys have to cut anything at all, and does the bottom 'rail' of the topper sit completely onto your truck bed rail?

I've got a 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel - 6'4" Bed Extended Cab.

Last edited:

kdwittmaier

Reaction score
This thread helped me decide to pull the trigger on a cap for my truck. 4th gen topper on a 5th gen. It’s not perfect, but the price was great so I’ll live with the nitpicks. Sharing some pics to show my appreciation

Hi Chris,

I am new to the group so 1st post. Thanks everyone! I am literally about to buy a cap tomorrow from a 2011 4th gen. I sell Rams here in Ontario Canada and i just jumped into the back of a 4th gen and 5th gen. The dimensions are spot on. Anything I should look out for or suggestions? I to have a Black DT Night Edition this Cap I am looking at is Red Pearl, no bid deal as I'll paint it

da3b3cd29bef9d0f2ac243c3eee71486.jpg

45b885fb89bfae2c6742f1cb784db46f.jpg

256f815065e76a6643f6c4e5d14200a1.jpg

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

I am new to the group so 1st post. Thanks everyone! I am literally about to buy a cap tomorrow from a 2011 4th gen. I sell Rams here in Ontario Canada and i just jumped into the back of a 4th gen and 5th gen. The dimensions are spot on. Anything I should look out for or suggestions? I to have a Black DT Night Edition this Cap I am looking at is Red Pearl, no bid deal as I'll paint it

good luck with it! i didn’t have any leak issues. just took my time centering it on the bed rails for aesthetic purposes. everything else worked fine. kept it on until i sold the truck in december this year. post pics when you get it.

Users who are viewing this thread