5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WiFi - to - LTE hotspot

striperseeker

Reaction score
Has anyone installed a Cell hotspot into there RAM? I'm looking at the Netgear M1 or 790S. Anyone have any experience with these or recommendations for other units?
I have T-Mobile and can get a decent deal on a non-phone SIM with 10GB per month add-on for like $5 a month.
TIA

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have an old cell phone that I use as a hotspot.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The issue I see with that is you have to pay for a voice plan as well as a data plan. Almost double what I would be paying for data only
Yeah, I looked at the Netgear and that would be an option if I could get a good deal on it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The issue I see with that is you have to pay for a voice plan as well as a data plan. Almost double what I would be paying for data only
You 100% can use a data only sim in a cell phone, at least for Android.

But if you are looking to leave it running 24/7? a hotspot might be a better choice, maybe one that is powered via USB so it runs for the 1-4 hours before the truck turns the ports off.

I am a fan of Cradle point as I installed several in the past for my job in busses and vans which required always on internet connections for various devices.
I'm not sure if they are in your price range though. They are essentially an portable firewall which you can use a sim card with and broadcast wifi with great quality.
You can install them in your engine compartment and wire it into a fuse and the antennas should have no problem reaching inside. Or you can install it somewhere inside too.
Looks like you can get them pretty cheap used off ebay too.

Users who are viewing this thread