5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wife curbed her tire, is this safe?

marcd118

Reaction score
Wife curbed her SUV tire this morning. Do you guys think this is still safe?

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 200

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are those threads showing inside the gouge? It's hard to tell from the photo. I would get it replaced. Sidewalls flex a lot while driving, and with a weak spot like that in it now, I would not want to be driving on it.

Bondadoso

Reaction score
That tire is a ticking time bomb. Since you can see the cords it’s a matter of time before water gets to the steel cords that maintain the integrity of the tire. I strongly recommend replacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with the others. I'd get that tire replaced.

Yangster

Reaction score
It all depends on how much you love her! 😅 JK on "it depends", not for the laughing emoji. Get it replaced. With heat build up at speed on the highway, that could blow. Then she's going to call you to change the tire! That alone is worth the replacement!

nburd

Reaction score
Get a new one for sure. If worn some, look for a used replacement on ebay to match the tread wear depth. I have done that 3 times and the tires have been perfect, identical to what was on my vehicle) and under $75 with free shipping. I just ordered one for my sons $299 Michelin on his F150 truck. 8/32 wear and the tire was $65 with free shipping. Even the 2019 date code matched.

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd stick that on the back right location. If it blows out on the highway, it's far easier to control a rear tire loss than a front. Being on the right side, it'd be safer for jacking/putting on the spare.

And, I'd only do that for as long as it takes for the replacement tire to arrive.

That tire is a loss.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Get it replaced at Discount Tire/America's Tire and pay for their lifetime rotate/balance & road hazard warranty. They do it for tires you didn't buy there, so do all 4 tires. The cost (I paid $120) easily is worth many times that!

One tire replacement easily covers the cost by almost 2X, and factor in the rotate & balance is free for the life of the tire, the dealer charges $49 for rotations and most don't even balance.

Now your wife can curb tires without a worry in the World while getting free rotations & balances every 5K until the thread wears out. Do it!

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am just getting it replaced. No sense in risking it.
Good call. Sidewall damage is a safety risk, esp since internal damage (likely in this case) is not visible.

KCViper

Reaction score
Good call on getting it replaced. Agree with all the others, that is is ticking time bomb and NOT worth the risk!

Moeman1955

Reaction score
just keep in mind that when you replace just one tire on a 4x4 power train that the tread depth on the other tires must be over 6/32 if not you can cause damage to your transmission. Being in th entire business for a lot of years you must make sure that you have the proper tread depth. I have seen this happen on several occasions over the years. Do yourself a favour and take it to a reputable tire dealer and they will explain how it works. As far as your tire goes, the sidewall is compromised and you can be assured that if you leave it on that it will blow out.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just keep in mind that when you replace just one tire on a 4x4 power train that the tread depth on the other tires must be over 6/32 if not you can cause damage to your transmission. Being in th entire business for a lot of years you must make sure that you have the proper tread depth. I have seen this happen on several occasions over the years. Do yourself a favour and take it to a reputable tire dealer and they will explain how it works. As far as your tire goes, the sidewall is compromised and you can be assured that if you leave it on that it will blow out.
I think this used to be the case, but is not true for most vehicles with all-wheel drive today. At most, it will cause slightly more wear in the differential when using 4-wheel hi or low

To be safe, put the new tire on the front axle, but I don’t think it will make much difference. Now maybe if the new tire has 17/32nd and the old tire has 5/32... On second thought, not even then. The difference in rolling circumference between those two is less than 10 revs per mile...

I have an AWD wagon with a permanent 40/60 split, and that car comes with different diameter tires, front to rear...and the spare is a folding-sidewalk donut of yet a third diameter...

Users who are viewing this thread