5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why wont my truck start?

monkeypunch

Reaction score
Ran into Academy, and when I came out, my truck won't start. All the electronics come on, but when I hit the engine start button, literally nothing happens. Dash is saying battery is 12.4V. Any thoughts? Waiting on the wife with a jumper.

Attachments

• 20220715_113029.jpg
    20220715_113029.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 63

Moto21

Reaction score
push the start button with the fob its self, tried that?

monkeypunch

Reaction score
push the start button with the fob its self, tried that?
I'll try that when I get back there. Going to check the fuse box too. Need to get tools from home first. The truck doesn't even try to crank.

RedFred

Reaction score
Could be your key fob battery. The truck is not registering that the key fob is in the vehicle.

Quint

Reaction score
Just throwing out anything. Make sure that your foot is on the brake or only the electronics will come on.

Quint

Reaction score
Sounds like the whatsnot isn't hee-hawing with the thing-a-majiggy.

Unhook the battery and wait a few minutes. Then reconnect and give it a try. If still a no go, call the tow buggy.
1657906253581.png

monkeypunch

Reaction score
So you guys are probably right, "dead" battery maybe the culprit. Defective battery is also on the table. Took it to Advanced, and they couldn't get the battery to test. 2 different testers, and both threw an error immediately when they tried to test the battery. Off to the dealer with it now.

Wh0urdady2

Reaction score
So you guys are probably right, "dead" battery maybe the culprit. Defective battery is also on the table. Took it to Advanced, and they couldn't get the battery to test. 2 different testers, and both threw an error immediately when they tried to test the battery. Off to the dealer with it now.
GL, why my batter went bad in the explorer they said it wasn't covered under the warranty.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
Perhaps the shift knob isn't completely in park. Just a thought. Good luck.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Sounds like the starter decided to take a $hitter.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Yeah thats where I'm at now. But wtf do I know haha. The roadside was no hassle, and fast. I guess that's a positive.
There's a slim possibility that it is a weak battery because these trucks with all of this new fangled technology are very sensitive to voltage but in my 30+ years experience as a mechanic I would start with the diagnosis of the starter and go from there

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a slim possibility that it is a weak battery because these trucks with all of this new fangled technology are very sensitive to voltage but in my 30+ years experience as a mechanic I would start with the diagnosis of the starter and go from there
Well, not sure if i have the same issue but drove 2.5 hours to Lake Erie on Thursday did a little bit of driving back and fourth to dinner and mini golf. Went to start the truck today and hear a pop sound every time i would try to start the truck. Lucky someone was in the parking lot and gave me a jump. I did not shut it off until i got home. Put the battery charger on it and it was at 13.5 volts. I dont think this issue is over. I did read in the owners manual not yo leave anything plungged in. I did have a cell phone charger plugged in, but doubt that the issue.
I did see a message that popped up on my 12 inch screen that read power surge. Also have a check engine light come on.
Anyone else had this happen?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Well, not sure if i have the same issue but drove 2.5 hours to Lake Erie on Thursday did a little bit of driving back and fourth to dinner and mini golf. Went to start the truck today and hear a pop sound every time i would try to start the truck. Lucky someone was in the parking lot and gave me a jump. I did not shut it off until i got home. Put the battery charger on it and it was at 13.5 volts. I dont think this issue is over. I did read in the owners manual not yo leave anything plungged in. I did have a cell phone charger plugged in, but doubt that the issue.
I did see a message that popped up on my 12 inch screen that read power surge. Also have a check engine light come on.
Anyone else had this happen?
I'm curious about this statement " I did read in the owners manual not to leave anything plungged in"
plugged in to what? the usb port? I did a word search in my manual and did not fine this. I leave my music plugged in since I picked up the truck in jan 2022, the port goes off in about 30 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online