5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why V8 Hemi is going away, interesting find!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
interesting. The EPA carbon credit thing is such BS. EVs arent better for the environment just because they don't have a tailpipe. Stallantis is really screwing everyone since they bought into the climate crap.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
interesting. The EPA carbon credit thing is such BS. EVs arent better for the environment just because they don't have a tailpipe. Stallantis is really screwing everyone since they bought into the climate crap.
It's the climate wackjobs that are screwing it up. Stellantis doesn't like CAFE standards either. I laugh when I read the posts about poor gas mileage with a Hemi.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's the climate wackjobs that are screwing it up. Stellantis doesn't like CAFE standards either. I laugh when I read the posts about poor gas mileage with a Hemi.
You’re right. I guess no auto maker really likes CAFE

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had come across this info previously - what felt at the time and is probably correct - us, truck consumers are financing those teslas
As are taxpayers as a whole. CAFE credits allow Telsa to lower their sticker prices, and tax credits lower the actual price paid.

How many working class people do you know who drive an electric vehicle? Not many, I'll bet. I've ranted about this before, but the average EV driver likely is living in a house with a garage (as they need a place to charge it; an apartment or small house with street parking isn't likely to provide that), and has one or two ICE vehicles for when they need more range. So the working class are paying for upper middle class people's clean conscience and third vehicle. Brilliant policy.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The Hemi is just an old engine and Stellantis doesn't want to invest in future V8s unlike GM and Ford. Somehow, both GM and Ford, who are both higher level in small displacement ICE engines and hybridation are still going into the future with ICE V8s, while Stellantis doesn't want to invest the same way.

Its a big mistake for Stellantis. The "Hemi" is synonymous with the RAM brand, along with Chargers/Challengers, they should have invested in the next-gen V8 to meet regulations like Ford & GM are managing to do.

I can only assume they don't have the budget and they rather nip it in the bud now for the future instead of prolonging it a bit more.

6of36

Reaction score
The Hemi is just an old engine and Stellantis doesn't want to invest in future V8s unlike GM and Ford. Somehow, both GM and Ford, who are both higher level in small displacement ICE engines and hybridation are still going into the future with ICE V8s, while Stellantis doesn't want to invest the same way.

Its a big mistake for Stellantis. The "Hemi" is synonymous with the RAM brand, along with Chargers/Challengers, they should have invested in the next-gen V8 to meet regulations like Ford & GM are managing to do.

I can only assume they don't have the budget and they rather nip it in the bud now for the future instead of prolonging it a bit more.
They can't afford to keep the Hemi. CAFE standards require fleet average to be 49MPG by 2026. Stellantis paid over $1 billion in fines last year for not meeting last years standard. If you want to be able to continue buying a vehicle with a decent engine, contact your representatives, and tell them to stop crazy CAFE standards.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you want to be able to continue buying a vehicle with a decent engine, contact your representatives, and tell them to stop crazy CAFE standards.
Or just buy a Ford or Chevy which is what I and most others will be doing when my Ram gets old. One of the only reasons I got the Ram was a v8.
Service at Ram is just as bad as Chevy is which is the other reason I picked Ram.

Any companies that sell trucks but not as a v8 I wouldnt/don't even consider.

With Ram killing the Hemi those other brand look much more attractive considering Ram being near double the price of competitors who already have removed v8 as an option.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They can't afford to keep the Hemi. CAFE standards require fleet average to be 49MPG by 2026. Stellantis paid over $1 billion in fines last year for not meeting last years standard. If you want to be able to continue buying a vehicle with a decent engine, contact your representatives, and tell them to stop crazy CAFE standards.
Unfortunately, the car manfacturers won't stop at this point, It's too costly to go backwards and if they did, then they would have to forego the CA market since their version of the CAFE standard won't change.

6of36

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the car manfacturers won't stop at this point, It's too costly to go backwards and if they did, then they would have to forego the CA market since their version of the CAFE standard won't change.
Fock Commiefornia. Let them all drive Tesla junk, and the sane people can drive good cars.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Fock Commiefornia. Let them all drive Tesla junk, and the sane people can drive good cars.

CAFE isn't just California, it's the 17 States that make up CARB, which in turn make up 50% of sales and about 60% of the profit margin for manufacturers in North America. In reality, it's also the rest of the World, which are more closely in line with CARB to begin with, they rather keep technology & production in sync Worldwide. In short, manufacturers will do whatever CARB wants.

That being said, you have to ask why isn't GM or Ford having these issues? Ford we can understand since they have gone all in on smaller engine turbos, but GM is still big on their small block V8, and are investing in the future of the ICE V8. You want a V8 in the futures, it's going to be a Ford or GM.

It's more the lack of insight and planning that has put Stellantis in this situation.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see more people buying HD's to get a V8 going forward even if they don't need the capability. So in essince forcing manufacturers to meet high CAFE standard will only cause more pollution as people take measures to get around it.

Last edited:

tones2SS

Reaction score
Or just buy a Ford or Chevy which is what I and most others will be doing when my Ram gets old. One of the only reasons I got the Ram was a v8.
Service at Ram is just as bad as Chevy is which is the other reason I picked Ram.

Any companies that sell trucks but not as a v8 I wouldnt/don't even consider.

With Ram killing the Hemi those other brand look much more attractive considering Ram being near double the price of competitors who already have removed v8 as an option.
I agree.

6of36

Reaction score
CAFE isn't just California, it's the 17 States that make up CARB, which in turn make up 50% of sales and about 60% of the profit margin for manufacturers in North America. In reality, it's also the rest of the World, which are more closely in line with CARB to begin with, they rather keep technology & production in sync Worldwide. In short, manufacturers will do whatever CARB wants.

That being said, you have to ask why isn't GM or Ford having these issues? Ford we can understand since they have gone all in on smaller engine turbos, but GM is still big on their small block V8, and are investing in the future of the ICE V8. You want a V8 in the futures, it's going to be a Ford or GM.

It's more the lack of insight and planning that has put Stellantis in this situation.
GM makes a bunch of little ****mobile cars to offset. People who buy from Stellantis, don't want those cheap garbage cars. I will never buy one.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
GM makes a bunch of little ****mobile cars to offset. People who buy from Stellantis, don't want those cheap garbage cars. I will never buy one.
How is that our fault?
No one told them to get bought out by Fiat.
Ram could just make EV cars to combat this instead. Make the cheapest crappiest EV of a normal size sedan and take that market share.

Or just keep making the Hemi along with their new 6 cylinder engine, crazy concept I know.
That would be right up there with the Ramcares survey on the 3 honks, they don't care what we want and they are too stupid to realize how much money they will lose when no one buys anything from them.

I would buy an experimental Tesla before buying a Charger EV.

Killing the Hemi is going to kill the brand, some people will still buy Rams but they are going to go out of business again.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How is that our fault?
No one told them to get bought out by Fiat.
Ram could just make EV cars to combat this instead. Make the cheapest crappiest EV of a normal size sedan and take that market share.

Or just keep making the Hemi along with their new 6 cylinder engine, crazy concept I know.
That would be right up there with the Ramcares survey on the 3 honks, they don't care what we want and they are too stupid to realize how much money they will lose when no one buys anything from them.

I would buy an experimental Tesla before buying a Charger EV.

Killing the Hemi is going to kill the brand, some people will still buy Rams but they are going to go out of business again.

Ram is going to keep building HD's as long as they can continue to source the Cummins. Lots of truck owners are looking forward to the Hurricane as a gas replacement, and there's also the possibility the gas Cummins will land in the HD's.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ram is going to keep building HD's as long as they can continue to source the Cummins. Lots of truck owners are looking forward to the Hurricane as a gas replacement, and there's also the possibility the gas Cummins will land in the HD's.
People would say that about the regular hemi until very recently imo.

Users who are viewing this thread