5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Rams still have a reputation for poor quality

TruckHunter

Reaction score
I know the 3500 was ranked the worst vehicle in the country by consumer reports and there are other quality metrics that don't paint Ram trucks in a positive light - don't see as many complaints for the 1500. Just wondering how much is true when it comes to issues from actual owners.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Do a search for "Consumer Reports" on this board. There are two recent threads discussing these perceptions vs. reality. I think you'll find many of your questions answered there.

kilcher

Reaction score
One of the main complaints seems to be the rear window frame cracking and/or leaking but Chevy's are experiencing the exact same thing so that's not Ram specific. Other than that I don't see a lot of common complaints. What bothers me most (from reading others experiences) is not so much the quality of the vehicle but the trouble most people seem to have getting their Ram dealer to fix anything, fix it right, or to admit their problem is not normal.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One of the main complaints seems to be the rear window frame cracking and/or leaking but Chevy's are experiencing the exact same thing so that's not Ram specific. Other than that I don't see a lot of common complaints. What bothers me most (from reading others experiences) is not so much the quality of the vehicle but the trouble most people seem to have getting their Ram dealer to fix anything, fix it right, or to admit their problem is not normal.
Getting a dealer to work with you with minimal hassle is not FCA specific though. A good dealer is a unicorn, and if you find one you should stick with them.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

I agree with this sentiment, although can sympathize with dealerships if the problem the customer is complaining about is intermittent. I understand how it is to try to fix a problem someone is experiencing occasionally if it's not happening when I'm looking at it. But you're right about a lot of people complaining that their service writer often replies that an anomaly is "normal for these trucks". Especially when it's simple enough to test that out on another new truck on their lot.

Getting a dealer to work with you with minimal hassle is not FCA specific though. A good dealer is a unicorn, and if you find one you should stick with them.

Definitely a true statement.

airgas1998

Reaction score
because historically dodge/ram/fiat has been "worse than the average" more vehicles per 100 with issues against the other mfgs.

Jack

Reaction score
I know the 3500 was ranked the worst vehicle in the country by consumer reports and there are other quality metrics that don't paint Ram trucks in a positive light - don't see as many complaints for the 1500. Just wondering how much is true when it comes to issues from actual owners.
Known issues reported by owners on this forum:

1. Widespread A/C blend door issue. A/C is mixing with heat, and vents get different temperatures and is generally 10-15 degrees higher than normal A/C.
2. 2019 rear window crack and leak, I think the suppliers fixed it in 2020.
3. Whistle wind noise.
4. Vibration at certain speed.
5. Wheel alignment and balancing issue, they kept becoming misaligned or unbalanced.
6. Ram box warp.
7. U connect glitches

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My F150 was worse as far as the interior quality and mechanicals than this RAM (though I have not had the RAM long enough yet).
Haven't had a GM truck since 1998.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"historically dodge/ram/fiat has been "worse than the average" more vehicles per 100 with issues against the other mfgs."

As I pointed out in another thread on this subject, all vehicle brands suffer some type of change in ranking in the JD Power 3-year reliability study (VDS). Even vehicles like Infinity or Lexus lose their "top" rating on occasion.

If the above statement had just included Dodge and Fiat it would've been correct. (Fiat was not included until the 2015 VDS by the way.)

But this is a Ram forum. Since JD Power has been reporting actual problems per hundred by nameplate in a comparison chart format showing the North American average, Ram has been above the industry average in the 2013, 2015, 2016, and 2017 reports. Ram actually had a tie for fourth place in 2017.

Also, keep in mind the industry average wavers quite a bit: 2010 (155), 2011 (151), 2012 (132), 2013 (126), 2014 (133), 2015 (147), 2016 (152), 2017 (97), 2018 (142), 2019 (136).

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 030728 miles.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Known issues reported by owners on this forum:

1. Widespread A/C blend door issue. A/C is mixing with heat, and vents get different temperatures and is generally 10-15 degrees higher than normal A/C.
2. 2019 rear window crack and leak, I think the suppliers fixed it in 2020.
3. Whistle wind noise.
4. Vibration at certain speed.
5. Wheel alignment and balancing issue, they kept becoming misaligned or unbalanced.
6. Ram box warp.
7. U connect glitches

I'm knocking on wood so far... I have not experienced any of those issues, but up here in Canada I have not had a reason for the AC to be on. The window frame is showing signs of discoloration which appears to be a precursor to the crack & leak... but I've dumped buckets of water and used a pressure washer to spray that area / antenna/3rd break light and all dry inside so far.

Users who are viewing this thread