5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Order an eLocker or Limited Slip Differential?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does this mean that the E-locker in the 2019 Ram 1500 is manufactured by Eaton? Or did you post that product info link for Eaton products because it's general/universal info that applies to all LSDs and E-lockers, regardless of manufacutrer?

Thanks again.
Ram uses the “ELocker” name, which is an Eaton trademark.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went with limited slip. I look at it this way. If the e-locker was super strong and super great, drag racers would be using them. I don't know of anyone. No some, me included, have had some cars with spools but they are terrible on the street. I like a mechanical rather than electrically operated rear-end.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I went with limited slip. I look at it this way. If the e-locker was super strong and super great, drag racers would be using them. I don't know of anyone. No some, me included, have had some cars with spools but they are terrible on the street. I like a mechanical rather than electrically operated rear-end.
An interesting perspective, @Jus Cruisin. I'm not sure either is advantageous in that regard, but you made me curious to know more. I found this in a drag racing article from several years back:

Eaton has a new electronic locker, the ELocker. Originally developed for the H1 Hummer, this one is geared for the off-road but it may be just at home on the track. Where other on-command lockers require compressors and levers and such, the ELocker uses 12v power to activate the electromagnetic field that forces the collars to move, locking the axles together.

So which is better, the LSD or the locker? In terms of straight line traction, the locker provides better coupling hands down, but going around corners will be noisy and unsettling. The LSD design is considerably quieter in the corners, and is easier to handle on the street...

That article doesn't really give the nod to either type. A blog post from another source on the subject covers both in more detail:

Limited Slip Diffs (LSD) are the preferred choice for dual purpose street/strip use. The design of a limited slip diff allows for equal power to be put to both tires, but in the event that one wheel spins, torque is then transferred to the wheel with traction. This is a much more efficient method for getting down the track quickly. LSD’s do not suffer from the same problems as open diffs, so burnout guidelines above will apply, depending on your tire type. A LSD will also allow for a more aggressive launch, since power is being applied equally to both tires. Because of this, it is generally easier to cut a more consistent 60’ time, which ultimately leads to lower ET’s.

Lockers or E-Lockers – Locking diffs are a great option for the track, but are a little less forgiving on the street. A locker does exactly as the name implies, it locks both axles together so that they spin in unison. So, it’s nearly impossible to lose traction on a single tire. Having both axles locked is the ultimate for traction out of the hole, and can allow for a very aggressive launch. However, any loss of traction can be very sudden and violent because the axles are locked together. That being said, locking diffs can require some skill to drive safely, so practicing a few launches before hitting the track is not a bad idea. Also, if your vehicle is equipped with an electronic locking diff (E-Locker), you should unlock the diff before trying to turn the vehicle, especially at high speeds.

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
My current rig is LS and locks (Land Rover LR3). In the 11 years since I purchased it they've only gotten better, BUT I also found that most of the time the "traction control" was just annoying, and when I needed traction (driving through deep snow, mud, etc...) I knew it and could lock the year end (thankfully). So for me it was an easy choice (eLocker). For most of my "on road" driving 4wd is plenty as I drove for years in "one wheel drive" cars (FWD or RWD). I'll be curious to see how the Ram stacks up for the same tasks this winter (and how quickly someone comes out with a winch mount for it!)

Highlander_1

Reaction score
Everybody has a story to tell, so here is how limited slid saved my bacon. During the summer on dry pavements I was pulling out of a paved driveway onto a rural road just before a tight corner ( posted speed 80 km/ 50 mph) . I stopped looked both ways seeing nothing coming started across the highway when out of no where a red neck comes flying around the corner, where I was half way across still blocking the road I put the peddle to the metal there was a with a slight squeal ( could have been the wife) my ram shot across the road a head of the on coming truck. To my surprise I left no rubber marks but did my truck hood up very well. I have Had electronic limited on a Toyota it was very poor in a situation like this, diff. Lock would have worked but having to lock the diff electronically wouldn’t have help in my situation at all. So my 2019 Limited was ordered with limited slip again.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quick comment after reading thread....If a 4wd is engaged with elocker on both diffs locked under certain speeds. With e-locker off and in 4 wd high would one not still have lsd going on at higher speeds? Point being made is in deep snow,mud,boat ramps the elocker would work great...on semi slippery roads at higher speeds the high 4wd would in effect be the same as lsd would it not?

Kamikaze6780

Reaction score
4wd auto works perfectly fine for me, had it on my previous Silverado and now on the ram, no need for ASD. I do have the off-road package and considering I am in Minnesota, I will gladly take the elocker over ASD. As I said before, 4wd auto I have used when it's snowing and haven't had one problem. If the snow is really packed down I turn to 4h.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First, a true LSD will outperform a ‘simulated LSD’ without interfering with the braking system’s normal tasks.

In a previous thread on this forum, I wrote the following (with minor edits for context):

A limited-slip differential is great at providing a degree of automatic correction for unanticipated loss of traction. They don't guarantee traction in all conditions. Auto 4WD (if equipped) also helps to compensate for loss of traction, albeit in a very different way, and via a far more complex system. Most of the RWD and 4WD vehicles I've had over the years have been equipped with some form of an LSD, and my current vehicle has both an LSD and auto 4WD (and 4WS, which can make a low traction situation much more fun).

An electronic-locking differential enables the driver to prepare the vehicle for anticipated slippage, effectively pre-locking the axle vs. waiting for the LSD to kick in. This can provide a higher degree of control to the driver, especially if in a situation where sudden vehicle movement due to loss of traction would be undesirable. Think of a boat ramp, low water crossing, etc. where you want to “go in prepared”. I've not owned a vehicle with an e-locker, but I look forward to testing it in a 'sticky situation' sometime soon.

Great explanation! So what wouldn't u suggest for soft sand and why? Never really burry my current trucks wheels if you know how to drive in it but since ordering a factory build and it's and option...

I'm placing an order today Limited 2019. Not sure if I should add Anti-slip or eLocker or none. Live in NY so snow is not an issue but I will be pulling a 31' travel trailer on to the beaches all summer. Sand is soft driving through the cut in the dunes. Would either help with wheel spin in the sand? I air down so it's never been an issue with my Avalanche, you just keep momentum and don't gun it. It will always be in 4WD

Would either of these really be needed? Would any situation require the investment? And which? Info helps. I'm factory ordering today.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Great explanation! So what wouldn't u suggest for soft sand and why? Never really burry my current trucks wheels if you know how to drive in it but since ordering a factory build and it's and option...

I'm placing an order today Limited 2019. Not sure if I should add Anti-slip or eLocker or none. Live in NY so snow is not an issue but I will be pulling a 31' travel trailer on to the beaches all summer. Sand is soft driving through the cut in the dunes. Would either help with wheel spin in the sand? I air down so it's never been an issue with my Avalanche, you just keep momentum and don't gun it. It will always be in 4WD

Would either of these really be needed? Would any situation require the investment? And which? Info helps. I'm factory ordering today.
Limited-slip (anti-spin) could actually work against you in that situation. I think @devildodge wrote about that in another thread. The combo of 4WD and ELocker is ideal in this situation. (There’s a reason the Power Wagon has both front and rear locking axles!)

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Limited 4WD with E-locker and 3.92. It can break both the back tires loose easily but, with the brake simulated differential, it is never a problem spinning just one wheel....unless I disable traction control.

I had to pull a large heavy portable boat dock out of a wet yard to evacuate for the flooding we're having in TN. 4-Low plus e-Locker had all 4 wheels pulling with no spinning. Unfortunately the narrow tires on the trailer buried and we had to tether to my buddies Laramie to get the trailer unstuck. I could have avoided getting stuck by pulling faster but the homeowner didn't want excessive ruts so we were being gentle. I feel like the Anti-slip wouldn't have allowed me to pull slowly without spinning. It has to spin before it engages.

Last edited:

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has open diff and traction control.. it spins a little bit now and then on wet pavement when making a turn from dead stop. I just anticipate it and feather the gas instead of gunning it in those situations and I've never had any issues.. Most of the time, if its wet out, or there's the possibility of black ice, or patches of snowy road, I leave it in 4WD AUTO and it seems to work really well. I've noticed the 4WD kick in a few times, but not as much as you would think. In slippery conditions, common sense driving techniques makes a huge difference.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
E_locker is a no brainer for what little cost it is to add on the order compared to the price of the truck. E-locker can be shut off until you need it. low speeds pulling heavy loads where a slip first and grab later can be eliminated with it . Cannot think of why LSD would have advantage over the E-locker IMO. Normally do not need extreme traction with non slip much over 20 MPH in any case. 4wd high would be great for higher speeds where extreme traction is not needed.

bvigne01

Reaction score
I had the LSD on my 4th gen. I got the Elocker on this 5th gen. I wish we had the option of both like the power wagon. LSD during normal operation but has an Elock too. I drive on the road most of the time. I use it off road a few times a year hunting. I miss the LSD day to day on the road. I spin the one wheel a lot .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread