5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why no aux switches?

Perhaps because it's more profitable not to install options that most buyers will never use.

Perhaps because it's more profitable not to install options that most buyers will never use.
But It seems like it’s become somewhat of a standard from the factory on so many other off-road vehicles.

But It seems like it’s become somewhat of a standard from the factory on so many other off-road vehicles.

Then it's an option they are forcing every buyer to pay for even though very few will ever use it. They don't put free stuff on vehicles. I'd much rather they did not force me to pay for more options I will never use.

because you can actually get something better, like a SwitchPro 9100 or a sPod.
even if I had the factory aux switches as options I would still go SwitchPro over that. i can strobe, burst, 3 blink bust, keep it momentary, operate the switches with ign off, and operate it with my phone via bluetooth, set it to be triggered by some other 12v power source (like headlights or something) with the SwithPro, while the factory aux can't do most of those.

because you can actually get something better, like a SwitchPro 9100 or a sPod.
even if I had the factory aux switches as options I would still go SwitchPro over that. i can strobe, burst, 3 blink bust, keep it momentary, operate the switches with ign off, and operate it with my phone via bluetooth, set it to be triggered by some other 12v power source (like headlights or something) with the SwithPro, while the factory aux can't do most of those.
That's a compelling argument.

It’s rather ironic that you say this, being that Ram is tanking in sales, especially with the 2500’s, so they should really be taking whatever a la cart option requests from customers that they can get in order to sell a truck.
The factory aux switches are offered as a $145 stand alone option on every 2500/3500 except for the power wagon (the one trim level that most buyers WOULD actually use them). So, they’re not installing an option that buyers would never use, because the buyer chooses to have them as an option.
This has been argued extensively on the HDRams forum since the 2019 model year when they stopped offering them on the power wagon. There is absolutely no electrical reason that prevents them from being offered on the power wagon, as opposed to every other HD Ram trim, so it’s a mystery as to why they don’t.
@CraigR2011, you can add and program the factory aux switches to the power wagon after the fact.

It’s rather ironic that you say this, being that Ram is tanking in sales, especially with the 2500’s, so they should really be taking whatever a la cart option requests from customers that they can get in order to sell a truck.
The factory aux switches are offered as a $145 stand alone option on every 2500/3500 except for the power wagon (the one trim level that most buyers WOULD actually use them). So, they’re not installing an option that buyers would never use, because the buyer chooses to have them as an option.
This has been argued extensively on the HDRams forum since the 2019 model year when they stopped offering them on the power wagon. There is absolutely no electrical reason that prevents them from being offered on the power wagon, as opposed to every other HD Ram trim, so it’s a mystery as to why they don’t.
@CraigR2011, you can add and program the factory aux switches to the power wagon after the fact.

Just to clarify, there's no reason RAM couldn't offer, except as I understand it, currently the "extra" wiring in the harness is used by the lockers.

But it doesn't make much sense why they wouldn't remedy this considering there's pass through wiring as part of the Aux switch config, they even added more pass through circuits in 21+

Just to clarify, there's no reason RAM couldn't offer, except as I understand it, currently the "extra" wiring in the harness is used by the lockers.
That couldn’t be it either, because none of the wiring for the lockers share any of the same positions as aux wiring in any of the in-line connectors.
In fact, to only in-line connector that they share wiring in is XY920- the lockers use positions 10, 11, and 12 of that connector, and the aux wiring uses positions 1 and 6 of that connector. Otherwise, their wiring doesn’t cross paths anywhere else.

The dealership reportedly looked into it for me, and told me it could not be added at this time, or at least, they could not do it.

It's a fallacy to believe the lack of aux switches plays a role in Ram sales.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back