5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the trailer plug on the wrong side of the hitch?

Sodahammer

Reaction score
Every vehicle I have ever owned has the trailer plug on the drivers side. I had to buy a jumper just to plug my trailers in again.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's a question I asked myself when I was shopping for a 5th gen. Not that it's a big deal for me, but I still wondered why they changed which side the plug is on.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Every vehicle I have ever owned has the trailer plug on the drivers side. I had to buy a jumper just to plug my trailers in again.
Never even noticed that it was different until you pointed it out. But true...my previous truck (a GMC) was on the left.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
maybe they are considering that many times you cross the chains during hookup instead of connecting them straight. I cross them because I dont like the chains to drag on the ground at certain angles.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
maybe they are considering that many times you cross the chains during hookup instead of connecting them straight. I cross them because I dont like the chains to drag on the ground at certain angles.
Chains are required to be crossed by law and by design. With the chains crossed, if the tongue disconnects from the vehicle the chains are theoretically supposed to cradle the tongue so it doesn't pole vault itself onto the vehicle at high speed.

As for the location of the plugs, no idea.

AZHUND

Reaction score
This makes more sense now why it felt awkward for me to plug it in (like a nagging in back of my head I was doing something wrong). But no big deal, still works and don't see the pro or con to it being on that side (except the confused muscle-memory).

Sodahammer

Reaction score
Only reason that I noticed is because when I rewired my boat trailer it was just long enough to reach with the plug on the left of my old vehicle. Now that it is on the right, I have to use a jumper to reach. It's really not a big deal, but every other vehicle that I have owned has had it on the left.

Users who are viewing this thread