5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the Ecodiesel heavier than the Hemi?

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On top of the other things mentioned here, must be noted the ecodiesel is an overhead cam engine. The heads are larger and heavier than the hemi's (at least on a per-cylinder basis...unsure about total weight of the heads).

VernDiesel

Reaction score
I don't know on the 5th gen truck but on the 4th gen truck the ED truck equipped otherwise identically was 90 pounds heavier. The GVWR allowed 50 pounds more (6950 vs 6900) so you actually only lost 40 pounds of payload towards max GVWR.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know on the 5th gen truck but on the 4th gen truck the ED truck equipped otherwise identically was 90 pounds heavier. The GVWR allowed 50 pounds more (6950 vs 6900) so you actually only lost 40 pounds of payload towards max GVWR.

5th Gen 3.0L is ~133 lbs heavier and GVWR bump is +100 lbs.

So basically the same payload hit

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
While the Diesel engine itself is much smaller in displacement the engines themselves are almost identical in weight. Add a turbo, 3x the oil, heavier fuel, def tank and fluid, and several hundred pounds of emissions equipment and that eats up some payload. I do believe this is slightly counteracted by heavier coil springs in the front. I do not know if they have different coil springs in the back
Just to make it clear for this post, the part numbers for the 4x4 front springs are the same for hemi and ecodiesel. I don’t know if 4x2 are different though.

Triton63

Reaction score
Just to make it clear for this post, the part numbers for the 4x4 front springs are the same for hemi and ecodiesel. I don’t know if 4x2 are different though.
I just walked out to the garage to look. I still have the stock springs from my 2019 Hemi ccsb 4x4, and looked at my 22 ecodiesel ccsb 4x4. Both have 68320236ab and 68230237ab (passenger and driver side). I am shocked they are the same.. my bad.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just walked out to the garage to look. I still have the stock springs from my 2019 Hemi ccsb 4x4, and looked at my 22 ecodiesel ccsb 4x4. Both have 68320236ab and 68230237ab (passenger and driver side). I am shocked they are the same.. my bad.
I wasn’t trying to call you out or anything like that- I was trying to avoid people looking for a different coil spring.

Triton63

Reaction score
Oh for sure, I appreciate you saying something. Not trying to give misinformation as I come here to learn also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread