5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is the Ecodiesel heavier than the Hemi?

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's been said there are no stupid questions, only stupid people. So allow me to be a a stupid person and ask, why is the 3.0L Ecodiesel heavier than the 5.7L Hemi?

Naïve (read: stupid) math would say the Hemi would weight nearly twice as much as the Ecodiesel, but even I'm not that stupid to think that would be the case. But I would, almost as naïvely and almost as stupidly, assume that the Ecodiesel would weigh a bit less.

Can someone satisfy my curiosity and cure my naïvety? Preferably with only moderate ridicule.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No stupid questions.

The engine itself is probably significantly lighter. It's all the emissions stuff that adds the weight to the ED. There is a DPF, two EGRs, and a selective catalyst, as well as a DEF system and tank (about 6 gallons of DEF).

If you ever look under an Ecodiesel you can see all of this. The DPF is huge.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's been said there are no stupid questions, only stupid people. So allow me to be a a stupid person and ask, why is the 3.0L Ecodiesel heavier than the 5.7L Hemi?

Naïve (read: stupid) math would say the Hemi would weight nearly twice as much as the Ecodiesel, but even I'm not that stupid to think that would be the case. But I would, almost as naïvely and almost as stupidly, assume that the Ecodiesel would weigh a bit less.

Can someone satisfy my curiosity and cure my naïvety? Preferably with only moderate ridicule.
Diesels must be built to handle much higher compression chamber pressure than gas engines. This is a big weight factor.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
The compacted graphite iron block for the Rcodoesel is heavier per cylinder than the aluminum Hemi block. Add the selective catalytic reduction equipment, the def tank and the the other emissions stuff and the ED is almost 200 lbs heavier than the Hemi.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I grew up just hearing that diesels weighed more in general..before all of the emissions stuff went into place. On the farm, it was a mix, we were all Chevys and the around town / cow checking trucks were all V8s and the haulers were all diesel.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Do the EDs have two batteries?

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I found online that the 2020 3rd generation Ecodiesel weighs 505 lbs and the 5.7 Hemi V8 weighs 500 lbs.

Attachments

• 1B45E29B-1314-474B-82D3-3C4854F38AA7.png
    1B45E29B-1314-474B-82D3-3C4854F38AA7.png
    109.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 9F71F74C-EE55-44BB-B6CE-5A966389CAB2.png
    9F71F74C-EE55-44BB-B6CE-5A966389CAB2.png
    102.6 KB · Views: 31

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I found online that the 2020 3rd generation Ecodiesel weighs 505 lbs and the 5.7 Hemi V8 weighs 500 lbs.

All I know, is that judging by available payload in otherwise identical trucks, the 3rd gen is still significantly heavier.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And on top of all the engine weight differences, there’s also the fuel itself. Gasoline weighs ~6 lbs/gal, whereas diesel is ~7 lbs/gal. In a 33 gallon tank, that equates to an additional 33 lbs.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Its all down to the block and heads. Diesels have twice the compression of a gas engine, they basically need to be twice as strong, hence the extra metal. When I was a kid we had a 5.9 cummins inline 6, the engine was over 1000 lbs and that had zero emmisions control

Last edited:

Jako

Reaction score
Its all down to the block and heads. Diesels have twice the compression of a gas engine, they basically need to be twice as strong, hence the extra metal. When I was a kid we had a 5.9 cummins inline 6, the engine was over 1000 lbs and that had zero emmisions control
Brother has a 2500 with the Cummins, no plow package allowed when ordering back in the day, from what I remember it was the Cummin's weight.

Triton63

Reaction score
While the Diesel engine itself is much smaller in displacement the engines themselves are almost identical in weight. Add a turbo, 3x the oil, heavier fuel, def tank and fluid, and several hundred pounds of emissions equipment and that eats up some payload. I do believe this is slightly counteracted by heavier coil springs in the front. I do not know if they have different coil springs in the back

Mchurch52

Reaction score
While the Diesel engine itself is much smaller in displacement the engines themselves are almost identical in weight. Add a turbo, 3x the oil, heavier fuel, def tank and fluid, and several hundred pounds of emissions equipment and that eats up some payload. I do believe this is slightly counteracted by heavier coil springs in the front. I do not know if they have different coil springs in the back
Where are you getting 3x the oil? The Hemi takes 7 qts of oil and the Gen 3 Ecodiesel takes 8.5 qts.

Triton63

Reaction score
Oops, my bad. Fat fingered the 2 but was also looking at Cummins specs and my add got the best of me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My old 7.3L Ford Powerstroke (no emissions equipment) weighed 1005 lbs (long block + accessories) dry weight (no fluids). The engine had to withstand 17.5/1 compression so strength was more of a concern than weight.

Having enough torque at 1600 RPM to wrinkle pavement easily offsets the added weight ;). Having 4400 lbs on the front axle also made it a lot easier to control the load. (y)

Users who are viewing this thread