5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is Laramie Equip Level 2 so expensive?

Reaction score
Adding equipment level 2 on a 2020 Laramie costs $3200 more than Level 1. But it only adds 4 things from their listings..

Uconnect 8.4 with NAV
Rear underseat storage
Harmon Kardon sound
Heated 2nd row seats

The Uconnect & Rear underseat storage can be optioned ala carte for $900.

So that means the HK Sound and heated 2nd row cost $2300 ??

Seems like this equipment level 2 must add some other options that they don't bother listing. Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Adding equipment level 2 on a 2020 Laramie costs $3200 more than Level 1. But it only adds 4 things from their listings..

Uconnect 8.4 with NAV
Rear underseat storage
Harmon Kardon sound
Heated 2nd row seats

Seems like this equipment level 2 must add some other options that they don't bother listing. Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks in advance!

HK sound is usually an expensive margin building option. e.g. $2,095 add for Grand Cherokees. You could get an incredible aftermarket sound system for $2,000. It's a decent system in the Jeeps, but not nearly as good in the trucks... it sucks. I'd save your money.

ldoh

Reaction score

Uconnect 8.4 with NAV
Rear underseat storage
Harmon Kardon sound
Heated 2nd row seats

Thanks in advance!

There should be a slew of items added. Looking at another 2020 Laramie Level 2 window sticker ($4895):
Automatic–Dimming Exterior Passenger Mirror
4G LTE Wi–Fi Hot Spot
19–Speaker Harman Kardon® Premium Sound
5–Year SiriusXM® Traffic™ Service
Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control
Blind–Spot and Cross–Path Detection
HD™ Radio
Heated Second–Row Seats
ParkSense® Front and Rear Park–Assist with Stop
Rain–Sensitive Windshield Wipers
Rear Underseat Compartment Storage
Remote Tailgate–Release
Rear 60 / 40 Folding Split Recline Seat
SiriusXM Guardian™ Connected Services w/1–Yr Trial
SiriusXM® Traffic Plus
SiriusXM® Travel Link
Tailgate–Ajar Warning Lamp
Uconnect® 4C NAV with 8.4–Inch Display .

RJS

Reaction score
There should be a slew of items added. Looking at another 2020 Laramie Level 2 window sticker ($4895):
Automatic–Dimming Exterior Passenger Mirror
4G LTE Wi–Fi Hot Spot
19–Speaker Harman Kardon® Premium Sound
5–Year SiriusXM® Traffic™ Service
Automatic High Beam Headlamp Control
Blind–Spot and Cross–Path Detection
HD™ Radio
Heated Second–Row Seats
ParkSense® Front and Rear Park–Assist with Stop
Rain–Sensitive Windshield Wipers
Rear Underseat Compartment Storage
Remote Tailgate–Release
Rear 60 / 40 Folding Split Recline Seat
SiriusXM Guardian™ Connected Services w/1–Yr Trial
SiriusXM® Traffic Plus
SiriusXM® Travel Link
Tailgate–Ajar Warning Lamp
Uconnect® 4C NAV with 8.4–Inch Display .

Actually the OP is correct as Level 1 has most of the options you mentioned just not the ones he mentioned.
But the Level 2 group is worth the difference because I wanted those options in my 19 Laramie.

Czcon12

Reaction score
HK sound is usually an expensive margin building option. e.g. $2,095 add for Grand Cherokees. You could get an incredible aftermarket sound system for $2,000. It's a decent system in the Jeeps, but not nearly as good in the trucks... it sucks. I'd save your money.
I agree, I have a 2017 Grand Cherokee and the HK system sounds much better in that. I think it sounds like **** in my truck.

Bigtone

Reaction score
I bought my 2019 Laramie off the lot. It had the Level 2 equip package, and I also could not find anything else I was getting over the Level 1 package except the wireless phone charger and the rear heated seat. Difference was about $1600 over the Level 1, from what I remember.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Car makers will gouge your wallet every chance they get....and....for the most part....they will lie to you without hesitation....I don't believe they go to church and many senior staff members are former politicians.....their only objective is to sell more cars for as much as possible....most do not drink beer....own a rifle or drive trucks. (y)

ponypride

Reaction score
I went with the level one on my 2019 Larimie. The only reason I considered the level two was because you needed it to get the advanced equipment package which included a lot of the safety features.

Reaction score
I went with the level one on my 2019 Larimie. The only reason I considered the level two was because you needed it to get the advanced equipment package which included a lot of the safety features.
@ponypride
I am in this exact scenario, but I don't think the adaptive cruise, fwd collision and Birdseye view are worth the $5k they want for the difference. So I'll probably end up with equip level 1.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Laramie Level 2 is different for Crew Cabs and Quads. The L2 in the Crew cab is more expensive, and comes with a few more things than L2 in the Quad, including the HK radio, underseat storage, etc.

While I don't think L2 is worth the extra $ over L1, if you want Advanced Safety in a Laramie, you have to get L2.

Bigtone

Reaction score
Laramie Level 2 is different for Crew Cabs and Quads. The L2 in the Crew cab is more expensive, and comes with a few more things than L2 in the Quad, including the HK radio, underseat storage, etc.

While I don't think L2 is worth the extra $ over L1, if you want Advanced Safety in a Laramie, you have to get L2.
Correct, mine is a Quad so the only difference between L1 and L2 was the wireless charger and the rear heated seat.

Guppydriver

Reaction score
I was just about to post a thread asking if anyone thought level 2 was worth it when I found this thread.

I mean, $2900 for 4 things and most people don't even use factory nav!

Anyway... I was pretty sure I was going to go with the Level 2 UNTIL I started to read reviews of the HK on this forum. I just figured the bulk of the value of level two was found in a killer sound system. However, if the HK isn't even that good compared to the stock Laramie, is it Level 2 even worth it?

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I went level 1 with my Laramie and have never looked back. Less problems...and none to speak of after 18 months of ownership.

Reaction score
I am planning to get level 1. I don't really want anything in level 2... I mostly wanted features in the advanced safety package.

But since you have to first get level 2 equip package and then pay even more for the advanced safety package... I'll just stick with level 1.

smashweights

Reaction score
Fwiw, advanced safety group is easily my favorite addition to the truck. Already saved my *** within the first 1000 miles so paid for itself, IMO.

The HK system is pretty good but seems very dependent on the source. FM and Sirius are terrible and the bass is boomy and flat. Spotify on extreme quality sounds great though the bass still leaves some to be desired. Not up to my SVS Ultra HT system in the house but still good. When looking at cost always have to consider time and effort retrofitting 9+ speakers and an amp. For me, I love it and don't feel any need to improve it. No doubt you could get a better aftermarket system for $2000. YMMV obviously.

Last edited:

Guppydriver

Reaction score
Fwiw, advanced safety group is easily my favorite addition to the truck. Already saved my *** within the first 1000 miles so paid for itself, IMO.

The HK system is pretty good but seems very dependent on the source. FM and Sirius are terrible and the bass is boomy and flat. Spotify on extreme quality sounds great though the bass still leaves some to be desired. Not up to my SVS Ultra HT system in the house but still good. When looking at cost always have to consider time and effort retrofitting 9+ speakers and an amp. For me, I love it and don't feel any need to improve it. No doubt you could get a better aftermarket system for $2000. YMMV obviously.

I’m just confused, the HK thread talks about how there was an update to the amp that made it pretty sweet (louder), but I’ve read that there are people with their 2020 models as well who are also disappointed in the volume, which I assume has this firmware already pre loaded upon delivery. However, I was planning on doing the advanced safety anyone, so I guess it takes away my choice . Just a lot of coin for three trivial things and a sound system that, according to many, isnt even much better than the standard Laramie

Users who are viewing this thread