5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why GM and Ford is worried about RAM

Kornfrk2727

Reaction score
Ram will stay at 3rd. Chevy and ford will update interior soon to compete with ram.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s great to see these trucks finally gaining ground. The F-150 has been mediocre for years. I can’t believe the lack of interior quality and the ride is not even close to the Ram. The wavy aluminum body looks downright aweful. GM and Ford have been relying on customer loyalty for a long time. Finally, a true competitor is starting to pull some sales from the top two. It’s still going to take a long time to overtake GM or Ford as a total. They will not sit, idly by either, and will not give up. I expect them to start making some major changes to try and keep up.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ram will stay at 3rd. Chevy and ford will update interior soon to compete with ram.
Its just a cycle. One maker innovates and the others follow, then it flip-flops. I don't think the MFT will become standard, they are kinda costly however RAM chose to adopt it after GM started it. No doubt that Ford will offer their own and update their interiors (a la RAM) and try to steal the spotlight with some kind of electric or hybrid drivetrain (like or exceeding E-torque).

What I'd like to see is an end to the ever climbing MSRP's. They are all in excess of $70K US for the highly optioned trims now on the 150/1500. In Canada that's 100K. Really people, can buyers afford/justify this continual hiking of prices and resultant lengthening of financing contracts? 72 months used to be long, now it's standard. 120 is right around the corner.

While increases in quality of build are good, the increases in complexity are not, as that will bring down reliability and add to ownership cost. A simple V8 with a multi-speed tranny (think the ZF) and appropriate gear choices (where's the 3.55?) can do alot. Having been an F150 ecoboost owner, while the zip was nice, the complexity wasn't. Same with our 12" screen and the air suspension. It's unnecessarily complicated and doesn't give what they promised, The 8.4 screens and our coil ride were fine.
I suppose there's never a "good enough" anymore.

Course don't mind me, I bought the wife what she liked, a Ltd so it had the air and 12"... If the Laramie had the same interior I'd have much preferred it and the 8.4!

MattF

Reaction score
To me it really doesn't matter who sells more trucks. I struggle to understand why that's an important thing to a consumer. I shop for what I like independent of marketing. And it's kind of nice not seeing one RAM after another like I do with F-150's...

Matt

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've seen a few sneak peak pica of the new Yukon XL Denali dash. May be enough to get me to buy one with the 3.0 Duramax.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its just a cycle. One maker innovates and the others follow, then it flip-flops. I don't think the MFT will become standard, they are kinda costly however RAM chose to adopt it after GM started it. No doubt that Ford will offer their own and update their interiors (a la RAM) and try to steal the spotlight with some kind of electric or hybrid drivetrain (like or exceeding E-torque).

What I'd like to see is an end to the ever climbing MSRP's. They are all in excess of $70K US for the highly optioned trims now on the 150/1500. In Canada that's 100K. Really people, can buyers afford/justify this continual hiking of prices and resultant lengthening of financing contracts? 72 months used to be long, now it's standard. 120 is right around the corner.

While increases in quality of build are good, the increases in complexity are not, as that will bring down reliability and add to ownership cost. A simple V8 with a multi-speed tranny (think the ZF) and appropriate gear choices (where's the 3.55?) can do alot. Having been an F150 ecoboost owner, while the zip was nice, the complexity wasn't. Same with our 12" screen and the air suspension. It's unnecessarily complicated and doesn't give what they promised, The 8.4 screens and our coil ride were fine.
I suppose there's never a "good enough" anymore.

Course don't mind me, I bought the wife what she liked, a Ltd so it had the air and 12"... If the Laramie had the same interior I'd have much preferred it and the 8.4!
Good points, which is one of the reasons I bought the small screen, no e-torque, and no air suspension (or sunroof). Certain things just add a lot of complexity for very marginal gains IMO. I prefer having buttons and knobs anyway, and you ought to be able to work some things without a computer screen IMO in case it goes dead - such as the HVAC system.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To me it really doesn't matter who sells more trucks. I struggle to understand why that's an important thing to a consumer. I shop for what I like independent of marketing. And it's kind of nice not seeing one RAM after another like I do with F-150's...

Matt
There are two excellent reasons to hope for big sales - long parts/support shelf life from the dealer and more aftermarket options customized for the model. Beyond that, I agree with you in that sales numbers really don't mean anything. I drove Titans from 2004-2019 and we always suffered from lack of aftermarket options & reasonable dealer parts support in part because the truck just never sold enough models for anyone to do anything with it. From 04-15 (they changed body styles & models in 16), Nissan sold 471k Titans - most of these 04-07. That's less than a single year of Ram, Ford, or GM. So our aftermarket sucked, and parts at the dealer sucked. Stupid stuff like a small piece of plastic would be $200 because there were 3 of them in the US.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2003 Chevy 2500 HD...it was a good truck but it was time to replace. Looked at all trucks....really liked the look of new Ram and the interior was better in my opinion. I didn't want a lot of the crap on most new trucks....I got the Tradesman with 5.7...3.92...tow package and chrome package.....love the truck......great riding...great mileage….hope it goes a long time. Great video by the way.

fmdog44

Reaction score
Shame on all trucks for discontinuing the single cabs with shot beds. Now Ram does not even have a single cab period.

barr0208

Reaction score
Shame on all trucks for discontinuing the single cabs with shot beds. Now Ram does not even have a single cab period.
and I was looking t get a 2500 but the quad cab is not being made in that especially if you want more payload reserve it makes sense but alas if and when it comes time I may have to switch to the other competitors as they both offer a smaller 4 door.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck makers make what people will buy and what makes profit. Flat backs were drags on profit - only cheapskate truck buyers bought them. What other reason could one have for not wanting at least an extended cab? I've had trucks all my life and after getting my first extended cab said I'd never go back to a flat back. Nowhere to put your tools unless you added a toolbox and took away bed space. Nowhere to stash groceries on the way home. Nowhere for your dog to ride safely or comfortably. Nowhere to stash a person that needed a quick ride home. Etc.

As far as trucks go, nothing makes more sense than a Crew cab with an 8' bed. Unfortunately they suck to live with on a daily basis as parking lots don't care for them and garages aren't made to fit them.

fmdog44

Reaction score
Well in response to the idea no one wants a single cab/short bed I say they sold them for decades. 2 door cars are on the way out as well-sad. Also truck sales are slumping. Last point, living in /Houston, TX where trucks are king I seldom see any with a load in them.

Last edited:

Dynamite

Reaction score
Well in response to the idea no one wants a single cab/short bed I say they sold them for decades. 2 door cars are on the way out as well-sad. Also truck sales are slumping. Last point, living in /Houston, TX where trucks are king I seldom see any with a load in them.

I want a single cab short bed 5th gen Ram RT/Sport with 22s... :cautious:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

:ROFLMAO: They sold cassette decks for decades too...I don't see too many of those in Wally world these days!

Cannonball

Reaction score
Numbers aside, the best part about owning a RAM is you win every argument the moment your challenger sits in the RAM. He/she stops running their mouth for 2 seconds as they realize "oh sh*t this is nice". Then they go straight to their trucks towing capability (when they don't even own a trailer)... Hook, line, sinker.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Numbers aside, the best part about owning a RAM is you win every argument the moment your challenger sits in the RAM. He/she stops running their mouth for 2 seconds as they realize "oh sh*t this is nice". Then they go straight to their trucks towing capability (when they don't even own a trailer)... Hook, line, sinker.
My brother in law also likes to say that the horrible sounding eco boost is quicker than my Hemi. I’ll take a few tenths of a second less for a good sounding and reliable old fashioned V8. I hardly ever open my truck up and never race it.

Users who are viewing this thread