5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does no one else want the truck I do?

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is how I've fund my last 2 trucks - they did a dealer locate and set-up a trade. In both cases I made some sacrifices for the best deal. My next truck I am tempted to not make any sacrifices so I am more apt to hold onto it longer because it is exactly what I want!
I drove 1004 miles each way in a weekend to get the best deal for my trade, the lowest price on the new truck and everything I thought I wanted/needed! Id do it again👍🏻 Good luck finding what your looking for! Might be good to just order one, then you really know it’s exactly what you want😁 I ordered my 2021 as my 19 was bought back. I will tell you, even when you order, you always second guess what you got or maybe should have gotten!

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t understand why you wouldn’t just order it if you want a very specific build that is proving itself to be rare.
I probably will but it seems much easier to negotiate and know the rebates etc. for a truck on the lot. You can agree to a price, agree to a trade value and have your truck. Ordering means and unknown wait and unknown final price.

Hogzfan

Reaction score
My 2020 Ecodiesel was my first ever custom order. I have never regretted it. I got the same rebates, trade...deal as one on the lot. M. Miller at Fletcher in AR was awesome. So maybe you just need the right dealer if you decide to order. Either way, good luck.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i ordered mine im too picky to to give up anything on a $70k truck
That is what I did. The Dealers only had trucks with about half of the
options I wanted for the same price of ordering it. See Build Below.
Basically I got a 2021 Laramie CC 4x4 with a 6'-4" bed. It was optioned
up to a Limited Trim. The major stuff I did not order were the Pano
Sunroof, MFT, Ramboxes, and the new Technology group. I also did
not like the extra stitching/interiorTrim, Grill, or Wheels of the Limited
Trim level.

One more thing here in NH the tags are calculated on the base price
of the Vehicle. The Limited has a $10-12K premium on the Base price.
Ordering the way I did saved me about $200/yr for Tags.

Malodave

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had to go 120 miles to a volume dealer in a metropolitan area (Los Angeles) to get mine.

It was nearly impossible to find a Big Horn with LED lighting and the ORG in my area. As much as I'd love leather seats and adaptive cruise control, I prefer my loaded Big Horn over a mid-level Laramie. Then throw in the extra $5000 discount (at the time) for Big Horns and it was a no-brainer for me.

I guess a lot of people in San Diego don't want to pay Laramie prices for their Big Horn. ;)

stevegads19

Reaction score
I felt a similar way to many in this group then i struck gold at a dealership in Billings, MT back in March 21'.
Laramie, crew cab, 6'4 bed, eco diesel, off road package, laramie level 2, 33 gal, 3.92, 12" nav

that same dealership still orders trucks similar to mine (i live in colorado, i do not work for them)

jljbtm

Reaction score
My old truck was a beautiful Laramie (with no problems , very reliable) but it had the baby bed with rambox and was sorta useless as a truck. I searched Hi/Lo and found my 19 Limited with the 6.4" bed and love it. If the old one had this bed I'd still have it.

nburd

Reaction score
Look for a North edition. It's close to the ORP. I think it's much more available. I have seen a lot of 6'4" Norths in New England. I almost bought one.....

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just buy a rebel
Not interested in a Rebel - as there is no 6.4 bed option, I don't like the styling and similarly equipped the rebel is 8-10K more MSRP and the Big Horn almost always has better incentives making the price difference even greater.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look for a North edition. It's close to the ORP. I think it's much more available. I have seen a lot of 6'4" Norths in New England. I almost bought one.....
Might be more common but it is $655 more than the off-road group and I don't personally care for the additional features. I want the AT tires, skid-plates, 1" lift, HDC and tow hooks but don't like the body color bumpers etc. Seems lots of folks like the night edition/north edition/sport package but I'm more old school and like the chrome like my grandpa's trucks had.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not interested in a Rebel - as there is no 6.4 bed option, I don't like the styling and similarly equipped the rebel is 8-10K more MSRP and the Big Horn almost always has better incentives making the price difference even greater.
That's what it came down to for me. Sure I could get leather, adaptive cruise control, etc., but with extra incentives for Big Horns a very similarly equipped Laramie or Rebel was going to run me an extra $9-10K. As much as I love some of those extra touches it wasn't worth an extra 20%+ to the price tag.

nburd

Reaction score
Might be more common but it is $655 more than the off-road group and I don't personally care for the additional features. I want the AT tires, skid-plates, 1" lift, HDC and tow hooks but don't like the body color bumpers etc. Seems lots of folks like the night edition/north edition/sport package but I'm more old school and like the chrome like my grandpa's trucks had.
Yup, it's a tough find. Folks do seem to prefer the body colored grille and bumpers.....You may have to order it.....

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of them running around here. I guess many in my area prefer to save $1300 or spend it on different options.

saylor

Reaction score
I have been looking for a Big Horn or Laramine with a 6'4" box and the off-road group. I realize the 6'4" box is very limited in inventory but it seems the off-road group is even more rare - even with a short box. I figured in MN there would be lots of trucks with the ORG given the great value it represents but they are few and far between. I remember not all that long ago you would have thought Chevy only sold Z71 trucks based on how popular that package was. Add in the other options I want and I'll likely have to compromise or factory order when my lease ends.
says there are 8 within 250miles of DFW 4x4 crew cab with 6ft bed and ORG right now

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
says there are 8 within 250miles of DFW 4x4 crew cab with 6ft bed and ORG right now
Do they still sell the Lone Star in TX in place of the Big Horn? I recall they used to have a trim that was basically the Big Horn TX version.

saylor

Reaction score
Do they still sell the Lone Star in TX in place of the Big Horn? I recall they used to have a trim that was basically the Big Horn TX version.
ive seen both and i agree it seems kinda interchangeable

ClancyO

Reaction score
Both my 5th gens were/are 6’4”. Of all the packages on my Laramie, ORP wasn’t one I had to have, but ultimately I’m extremely happy with it. I searched and went to quite a few dealers, I found the listings were never very accurate when searching online. Ultimately though I just got lucky. Having had both a Big Horn & Laramie, my vote is Laramie all the way, the differences are worth the $$. That said, I LOVED my big horn, so you can’t go wrong there either.

singlerail

Reaction score
funny could have sworn my quad cab 2021 rebel had the 6'4 bed

Users who are viewing this thread