5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does my media USB Ports under my dash only charge?

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
According to my window sticker, only my rear ports are charge only, identified by the battery icon on the side of the ports. My front ports under my dash ( I have the fold down middle seat, no center console) have the USB media icons on ports 1 & 2. But when I plug in my phone (Note 8), it charges only. Tried same thing with my iPad. Charge only. When I try to connect a usb device, nothing. I have read some threads on issues with their usb ports, but in those threads, they had intermittent media connection. I have not been able to connect a usb device since I bought the truck. Anyone experience the same, and if so, how did you go about fixing it? Is this a trip to the service dept? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
The battery icon indicates it receives power from the battery, meaning the car does not need to be turned to acc/run. A key icon indicates the need for the truck needs to be turned to acc/run. As for charge only in the front, this should not be the case (in any port actually). I've successfully run media from all 5 ports in my truck. Have you tried a different cable? Is that the stock cable that came with you devices? I was using a rather ****ty 3rd party cable and couldn't maintain a stable connection, paid $25+ for an actual Apple cord and haven't had an issue since.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The battery icon indicates it receives power from the battery, meaning the car does not need to be turned to acc/run. A key icon indicates the need for the truck needs to be turned to acc/run. As for charge only in the front, this should not be the case (in any port actually). I've successfully run media from all 5 ports in my truck. Have you tried a different cable? Is that the stock cable that came with you devices? I was using a rather ****ty 3rd party cable and couldn't maintain a stable connection, paid $25+ for an actual Apple cord and haven't had an issue since.
Thanks for clarifying that. At this point, the icons are moot because it only does one thing...charge.
I have tried the OEM cable for my Note 8, the Lightning cable for my Ipad, along with several other cables that I know will work and nothing, just charges device.
I have tried it with the truck on ACC, engine on, engine off as well.

Looked at the window sticker again, it reads:

INTERIOR FEATURES (standard Equipment)
Full Function Media hub with 2 USB Plus Aux Port

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT (may replace standard equipment)
Media hub with 2 Charge Only USB Ports

Seems ridiculous to have the 12 inch screen and 4 available USB ports that charge only.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Read through that thread a few days ago. In that case, the owner wants to eliminate the multiple media connections. I would take his issue over mines any day, as I can’t even get it to notice the media connection. And his issue is easily fixed with the right type of cable. I have no idea what’s wrong with mine.
Sent an email to Ram Care, as well as a call in to my service dept. Truck goes in for oil change next week, am hoping there are some answers by then.

geebus

Reaction score
Stupid question incoming but... did you open your devices when you plugged them in? Usually you need to give the truck permission to access your phone and so unless you give said permission, the device won't allow carplay or Android auto to work.
Also, the Note 8's are notoriously bad at working with a vehicles Android Auto at all. I had 1 and I wanted to toss it out the window whenever I would be driving. I would buy the most expensive cables and it would still drop the connection constantly. When I got my Note 10 I had zero issues

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stupid question incoming but... did you open your devices when you plugged them in? Usually you need to give the truck permission to access your phone and so unless you give said permission, the device won't allow carplay or Android auto to work.
Also, the Note 8's are notoriously bad at working with a vehicles Android Auto at all. I had 1 and I wanted to toss it out the window whenever I would be driving. I would buy the most expensive cables and it would still drop the connection constantly. When I got my Note 10 I had zero issues

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Not a stupid question at all. I have tried that. But because my phone isnt even recognized the UConnect, I am not given the option.
It will open Android Auto through Bluetooth at vehicle startup, but no Screen Projection at all. When i open Pandora on my phone, i have to connect through bluetooth, and all the dash screen shows is title of track and the bluetooth symbol.
Yup, my Note 8 is a dinosaur, but I'm procrastinating on upgrading my phone right now. But that doesn't explain why my ipad isnt recognized, either. Neither one of them will connect. Only charge.
Ram Cares responded, but cant do anything without a vehicle checkup by my service dept.
So, will have to wait until it goes in for scheduled service in a week.
At least I always have a fully charged phone when i exit my truck🤦‍♂️

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure iPad's don't support Apple Carplay

"iPad and iPod touch don't support CarPlay."
Yes, am aware of that. But, the UConnect system should still recognize the usb connection, and not just charge. Well, at least in a perfect world, I would think it would at the least recognize the connection.
Hell, I’ll be happy with the system telling me it’s not compatible, or not supported. But I don’t even get that. My 2015 Promaster City has no issues connecting my phone or my iPad through the USB port. And, that UConnect tells me when stuff won’t work.
Because it has never worked, I really don’t know how it would react with an incompatible connection. If anyone has experience, please share.

I’m gonna have a co worker connect their brand new iPhone to my usb and see if it works. If it does, then yeah, my old s**t is the culprit. If not, then all I have are 4 charging USB ports.

Users who are viewing this thread