5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did you choose Ram?

longhornram

Reaction score
Chose the Ram after spending a day test driving all the truck brands. It drove so smooth, which matched the luxury of their interior. Nothing really compared. Before that day I absolutely hated the front end of this new model, thought it looked too "soft" and car-like. I was dead set on the Ford look. The front-end styling has definitely grown on my though. Loving this Ram, driven it across country twice. Taken it up into the mountains in snow. Loaded it down with palates of granite. Couldn't be happier with it.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Became a fan of RAM trucks from Gen 2. Liked how they looked. Then the 3rd Gen came out and I was sold. Bought a 04 Laramie, drove that for over 12 years. Solid truck, no real big issues with it. Sold in 2016, been driving another RAM (2015 Promaster City).
I consider the City a much better vehicle than any other van in its class. The Ford, Nissan, Chevy vans just didn’t have what the Promaster City came with stock. Love my City, still drive it. 72k miles on it, and it still runs excellently. Fast forward to late 2020, and my search began for a new ride, preferably a truck. Was looking at Colorado’s, Rangers, etc…mid size trucks. Almost pulled the trigger on a Colorado ZR-2, but couldn’t see dumping 60k + on a mid size truck that I could barely see out of.
Began looking into full size trucks, and RAM hands down was the best looking out of all of them. And about the same price of the ZR-2. The Rebel grill had me leaning towards one, but then I found this pretty well equipped North Edition. The paint matched trim and the 12 inch screen had me hooked.
Purchased in April 2021, and am very satisfied with it. As with everyone else, there are it’s quirks and have had my share of intermittent problems. Thank goodness nothing major (knock knock on 🪵 ).

The one thing I find ironic is that when I bought my 04 Laramie, about 11 months after I purchased it, Hawaii Legislature implemented a gas cap law that effectively tripled gas prices. That law no longer exists, but the prices stayed, and got worse, over time.

About 11 months after I bought this Bighorn, gas prices tripled again…🤦🏻‍♂️

Bertman

Reaction score
I had a 2013 F-150 FX4 with the 3.5 EcoBoost. Never had a problem with it, but had the itch to get something new. I'm also 6'7", and have a hard time fitting in most vehicles. I couldn't comfortably fit in the aluminum F-150's, so those were out. Initially, I ordered a GMC because it has the most headroom. They ticked me off by "building" my truck, then parked it in a field for half a year waiting for computer chips. Got my deposit back and walked away, thinking I'd keep my F-150 until the chip shortage was over.

When the GMC finally did come in, that dealership offered me $4k more to trade in my F-150, it was tempting but I still walked away. Took my wife to look at a Ram, she liked it way better, and I saw this Larame a couple towns over built ~95% how I would have ordered one. Got them to match the higher trade-in price on my F-150 and have had the RAM ever since. First non-Ford truck I've ever had.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
End of an era . . . . . .

View attachment 131147 View attachment 131148

8 years, 3 months, more than 430,000 miles.

It just left on the back of a flatbed. I got $7,750 for it. I almost feel like I am going to get arrested for robbery. Window sticker in February of 2008 was $42,175 and I got $10,000 in discounts and rebates. So I paid about $32,000, put on 430,000 miles, and then got $7,750 for it more than 8 years later. That means it cost me a little over $24,000 during that time. That is less than $3,000 per year. That is damn near free. That truck doesn't owe me a penny. Even if I got only $100 for it after all this time and miles, it wouldn't owe me a penny.

That is why a bought another Ram. Picking up my new Patriot Blue one on Monday.
I did the math when I sold my 2008 Tundra last year. That truck had a few maintenance issues, but it was still a good truck. If I would have purchased it new, it would have cost me $961 per year. I bought it used, so it was only $861 per year. Your cost per mile was almost half of mine, so that's worth considering.

RBJ

Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM Longhorn Limited short-bed with the 5.7L Hemi and eTorgue. Color is Ivory White Tri-Coat Pearl with Mountain Brown interior. It has virtually every option available in 2021 including RamBox and MFT. The exterior design is eye-catching, the interior is simply deluxe, spacious and comfortable. The truck rides like a luxury sedan on the highway. It’s cargo capacity is great with the RamBox system and I love having the MFT with barn door opening. It’s simply an all-around great truck.

traveller09

Reaction score
I love the truck, but mainly I couldnt get the wifes back to love the seats in the 2021 Tundra TRD Pro. I do love the ecodiesel.

blue_by_you

Reaction score
this is my first non-GM truck after owning 7 (S10, Silverado, Sierra, Avalanche). Ram has style. The outside and inside is nicer than the competition. The price point was better for me on getting a Laramie I spec'd out compared to what I could manage with Silverado/Sierra at the time.

Otherwise Ram is nothing that amazing. Engine options are lacking, I am dissapointed in the 5.7 non-etorque compared to my last GM trucks with the 6.2l LS3. Gas mileage is less than what I got with my last trucks (averaged 18mpg in GM trucks, getting 14mpg with Ram) on same commute. I don't find that the ride is all that superior to the GM trucks, my last trucks had 4x4 Z71 packages and this Ram has 4x4 but not the offroad package.

Clearwater501

Reaction score
Why did I buy a Ram?... A picture is worth a thousand words.

Attachments

• 0611222337.jpg
    0611222337.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 48

ATRAIN

Reaction score
I am curious to hear everyone’s perspective on why they chose Ram over the competition. I’ll start with myself.

I haven’t owned a truck since ~2009, when my 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport’s transmission died around 100,000 miles. I took it personal, since I was a poor college student, and so I swore off Ram/Dodge/Chrysler and moved on with my life. I didn’t pay too much attention to trucks over the next decade plus, but I did always find the Ram’s to be the best looking of the bunch. I am also a tech person, both in profession and in hobby, and so I was a big fan of the 5th gen Ram when it was introduced - despite not being in the market for a truck. Now I have missed having a truck since the day I had to get rid of my Dakota, but I never had a good enough reason to convince myself, or eventually to convince my wife.

Fast forward to Q1 2022 and my wife and I decided we wanted a truck for us and our three dogs - the capability, utility, towing ability, and all-around interior space sold us. I’d like to say that it was prospect of being able to tow a travel trailer (which is true), and that would be our offical line, but sheer size of the backseat with the ability to fold up the seats and have a flat loading area is what really sold us. Like I mentioned before, we have three dogs (one large, two small dogs) and we like to travel with them, and the rear area of a truck like the ram is perfect for a couple dog beds and our three dogs.

So my priorities in a truck were as follows: 1.) Interior Quality and Luxury (2022 truck upper trims are firmly in the luxury suv pricing range); 2.) User facing technology (i.e. uconnect 5.0, app integration, etc), 3.) Ride quality and comfortability; 4.) Reliability; 5.) Capability and Technology; 6.) Price (value for the money)

Our decision really came down between an F-150 Powerboost King Ranch and the Ram 1500 Limited Longhorn. The Silverado 1500, refreshed model, was appealing but unavailable to see and drive in person, and thus was an unknown. We appreciated the refreshed interior, but ultimately thought the Ram looked superior inside and out. The 2022 Toyota Tundra was quickly ruled out by my wife, despite us having a employee family discount available, as she hated the look - I didn't hate it, but smaller rear backseat and a non-flat floor when folding up the backseat was a deal breaker.

The F-150 and Ram comparison made for a tough decision. An F-150 Lariat Hybrid was the first truck we test drove and what firmed up our decision to get a truck. We really appreciated the theoretical fuel efficiency (real life seems to be 18-22 mpg based on owner reporting) of the hybrid and the on-board 7.2kWh option, and found the exterior to be attractive, and the interior to be nice - it didn't blow us away, but it felt premium and well suited to the truck. Major detractors for us was the unknown reliability of the Powerboost powertrain combined with a somewhat clunky feeling transmission, the overall confusion around build times and available options (F150 forums are full of discussion around this), and the additional cost. Cost wasn't a deciding factor for us, but pricing seemed firm or close to MSRP, with the potential for a ~2k below MSRP via Costco before incentives.

The Ram 1500 really wowed us when we took it for a test drive, and we preferred it to the Ford in the most categories. I won't echo the praise that is scattered through this forum, but it was the only truck we drove that felt like it earned its price without needing to rely on the name for justification. It felt like a luxury vehicle, with real attention to detail inside and out, and really check all the boxes when it came to the before mentioned priorities. My biggest concern before really diving into my research on the Ram was reliability, in which the 5.7 Ram seems to be on par or better across the spectrum (no truck is perfect), and fuel efficiency (which I am not thrilled on, but it is a truck....). Plus, the wife stated that the Limited Longhorn with Black and Tan interior and black exterior (which we ended up ordering), was the "prettiest vehicle she had ever seen" - which firmly sealed the deal. The added plus, which we were not expecting, was our ability to get a price on our order that was $100 below invoice, before incentives, saving us ~6k compared to a similarly equipped F-150 King Ranch Hybrid.

We ordered the Longhorn on 3/12, and as of yesterday it is awaiting transport to the rail yard, so we are on course for a much faster arrival than the 4-5 months we were told to expect.

So I am curious, why did you choose your Ram over the competition?
This is my fourth Ram. I had a 2013 ram 1500 lonestar. Bought it as a quick truck replacement. Ended up keeping it to 100,000 miles. I actually bought a travel trailer that Weighed 6800 pounds and that half ton didn’t like that too much. So I bought a 2500 gasser as my every day and used it to pull that trailer no problem, except I got about 9 miles per gallon lol. Then we decided that hotels were cheaper because we had so many kids and we’re traveling around colleges football etc.. I found a 2018 Laramie crew for a good deal ran it up to 100,000 miles traded it off and bought a 2020 Lonestar again no leather none of all the big things that the Laramie had but I realize that I didn’t need all that . However it does have the light LED package and it does have the nine speaker sound system and a bunch of other junk that “Have to have” honestly I love ram trucks and I’ve had them all guys. Chevrolet Ford SUVs trucks worked with them in construction pulled trailers and honestly I don’t think I’ll own anything but this ram brand. I absolutely love this truck I have.

Peter land

Reaction score
The frame of the Ram trucks incorporates 98%-98.5% high-strength steel and lightweight aluminium, which allows for maximum capability while keeping the truck lighter for enhanced performance In love with it!

Ram12375

Reaction score
My deciding factor was out of pure frustration dealing with cheverolet and toyota dealers price gouging. My option was to pay anywhere from 6 to 20 thousand over msrp for those two brands or buy a ram where they still actually offer rebates. I ordered my new ram without even test driving one. I have never even been in a ram truck before,but was blown away by the interior by peeking inside a few at the dealer lot.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
My first truck was an '85 Nissan 4x4 standard cab short bed, which I lifted and stuffed 33x12.50s under - loved it! Then, after having problems with the fuel delivery, I traded for a '78 K5 Blazer and later found out the Nissan's issues were just vacuum hoses - I was mad because I hadn't even considered something like that. After about a year, I traded the K5 for an '80 CJ-7 (which I still have) as a deal I couldn't just pass up (I'd wanted a Jeep forever). After a few years of that, my wife said I needed another truck (after missing the bed and A/C), so I found another '85 Nissan 4x4 King Cab for only $2200, which I wound up rebuilding the front suspension and eventually the engine after it gave up about a year later. I had it for a few years - it was a fun little truck that I'd basically saved from an early grave, but she said I needed to grow up and get a real truck - so, I traded up for a '97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 4x4 in '99. I loved that truck and kept it for just 15 years. There was not a thing wrong with it at only 140K miles, but in 2014 she said it was time to get a newer truck... so I found an awesome 2012 Ram 1500 Lone Star, 2WD this time (still have the Jeep for off-road fun, after all). I LOVED my 2012 from Day One - it was loaded, and I'd added some cool things (like a back-up camera, upgraded the stereo system w/the B/U camera/BT/USB and 2 10" MTX subs and Infinity speakers).

Last year (2 July 2021), with retirement looming on the horizon in 2028, we decided to upgrade so I wouldn't have any car payments, (or a 16-yr-old truck) when I quit working, and picked up my 2021 Limited Longhorn 4x4. My buddy has a 2018 BigHorn, and I'd basically fallen in love with a Black Widow edition at the local stealership. THIS is what spoke to me:
2021_ram_1500-pic-4055560907355589631-1024x768.jpeg

They were running a bait-n-switch scam (that they're famously known for), listing the BW for $59.5K, but wouldn't budge off of $80K, saying they couldn't advertise the SCA Performance Black Widow package in the asking price for some weird reason. Yeah, I wasn't THAT much in love with it, but I still had 'new truck-itis,' and started looking around for basically the same truck (Bighorn Sport minus the BW package) thinking I would wear out the tires, lift/level it, then upgrade to some cool BW-style rims and 35s (I wasn't exactly in love with all of the BW logo'd accessories, either... just the truck along with the stance and the cool rims). After about a week of looking around online, I found a '21 Limited Sport in Weatherford I was extremely interested in (for $61K), but she found my Longhorn for about the same price just up the road in DFW - saying that the rims looked almost the same the ones on the BW. After a little more research, I discovered that it had listed for $74K, but they knocked the price down to $61K since it was used - with only 4800 miles - and they offered me $14K trade-in on my '12 Lone Star (with only 80K miles on it). Sounded like a hella deal to me: $50K note on a $74K truck with 'break-in' miles on it - SOLD! Here's what I drove home with:
cu-7.jpg

I'm not exactly a fan of the Longhorn's 'cap gun filigree' or rough-sawn wood trim (just a little too "Yee-Ha" for my liking), but I do love the truck and look forward to finally swapping out the crappy factory Goodyear street tires and slipping a Magnaflow into the mix - probably sometime next summer, the way things are going.

I haven't been a fan of the Fords F-series at all (although my friend Jake's 2018 Raptor is pretty dang cool), and I haven't really cared for the GM trucks since the '90s. The Nissan full-size - No Thank You. Toyota Tundras have been hit-or-miss for me, and I've seen a few Tacomas I think I could almost like. When the 5th gens first came out, I was not a fan of the styling - much preferring my 2012 to the new look. But after riding in Dave's BigHorn and seeing the Black Widow, something clicked, so here I am.

Last edited:

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 1996 Dakota Sport that was the first new vehicle I bought after graduating college. I had it for 14 years before moving to AZ. I got rid of it because I didn;t drive it often enough and it had developed 3-4 leaks. I ended up selling it to someone spoke only Spanish (he brought an interpreter to the deal) and I think it was promptly shuttled south of the border. I also had a 2015 Charger RT as my first Hemi. I loved driving that car. I was getting the itch to get another truck and took advantage of the high used car prices and sold my Charger when I ordered the Ram. I ended up getting about $1000 less than I paid for the Charger and I drove it for 6 years/85,000 miles.

I drove a prior generation F-150 at work years earlier and never really liked the brand. I knew I wanted to keep the truck for a really long time so wanted an 8-cylinder that was naturally aspirated. So, I leaned towards the Ram before I checked them out. Of course, I read all the reviews anyway, but driving one cinched the deal. We have plans to get a travel trailer so convincing the wife was easy.

lmike6453

Reaction score
Came from a newer Jeep Wrangler Sahara/Moab trim to Ram 1500 Rebel:

- Interior quality and comfort vs other truck brands
- MPGs rated just 1 mpg less than the Wrangler
- 33" stock tires that rival Wrangler's
- Ride height/ground clearance of >9 inches for SHTF or if I need to clear obstacles off road'ish otherwise

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/