5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did you choose Ram?

SirHobgoblin

Reaction score
I am curious to hear everyone’s perspective on why they chose Ram over the competition. I’ll start with myself.

I haven’t owned a truck since ~2009, when my 2001 Dodge Dakota Sport’s transmission died around 100,000 miles. I took it personal, since I was a poor college student, and so I swore off Ram/Dodge/Chrysler and moved on with my life. I didn’t pay too much attention to trucks over the next decade plus, but I did always find the Ram’s to be the best looking of the bunch. I am also a tech person, both in profession and in hobby, and so I was a big fan of the 5th gen Ram when it was introduced - despite not being in the market for a truck. Now I have missed having a truck since the day I had to get rid of my Dakota, but I never had a good enough reason to convince myself, or eventually to convince my wife.

Fast forward to Q1 2022 and my wife and I decided we wanted a truck for us and our three dogs - the capability, utility, towing ability, and all-around interior space sold us. I’d like to say that it was prospect of being able to tow a travel trailer (which is true), and that would be our offical line, but sheer size of the backseat with the ability to fold up the seats and have a flat loading area is what really sold us. Like I mentioned before, we have three dogs (one large, two small dogs) and we like to travel with them, and the rear area of a truck like the ram is perfect for a couple dog beds and our three dogs.

So my priorities in a truck were as follows: 1.) Interior Quality and Luxury (2022 truck upper trims are firmly in the luxury suv pricing range); 2.) User facing technology (i.e. uconnect 5.0, app integration, etc), 3.) Ride quality and comfortability; 4.) Reliability; 5.) Capability and Technology; 6.) Price (value for the money)

Our decision really came down between an F-150 Powerboost King Ranch and the Ram 1500 Limited Longhorn. The Silverado 1500, refreshed model, was appealing but unavailable to see and drive in person, and thus was an unknown. We appreciated the refreshed interior, but ultimately thought the Ram looked superior inside and out. The 2022 Toyota Tundra was quickly ruled out by my wife, despite us having a employee family discount available, as she hated the look - I didn't hate it, but smaller rear backseat and a non-flat floor when folding up the backseat was a deal breaker.

The F-150 and Ram comparison made for a tough decision. An F-150 Lariat Hybrid was the first truck we test drove and what firmed up our decision to get a truck. We really appreciated the theoretical fuel efficiency (real life seems to be 18-22 mpg based on owner reporting) of the hybrid and the on-board 7.2kWh option, and found the exterior to be attractive, and the interior to be nice - it didn't blow us away, but it felt premium and well suited to the truck. Major detractors for us was the unknown reliability of the Powerboost powertrain combined with a somewhat clunky feeling transmission, the overall confusion around build times and available options (F150 forums are full of discussion around this), and the additional cost. Cost wasn't a deciding factor for us, but pricing seemed firm or close to MSRP, with the potential for a ~2k below MSRP via Costco before incentives.

The Ram 1500 really wowed us when we took it for a test drive, and we preferred it to the Ford in the most categories. I won't echo the praise that is scattered through this forum, but it was the only truck we drove that felt like it earned its price without needing to rely on the name for justification. It felt like a luxury vehicle, with real attention to detail inside and out, and really check all the boxes when it came to the before mentioned priorities. My biggest concern before really diving into my research on the Ram was reliability, in which the 5.7 Ram seems to be on par or better across the spectrum (no truck is perfect), and fuel efficiency (which I am not thrilled on, but it is a truck....). Plus, the wife stated that the Limited Longhorn with Black and Tan interior and black exterior (which we ended up ordering), was the "prettiest vehicle she had ever seen" - which firmly sealed the deal. The added plus, which we were not expecting, was our ability to get a price on our order that was $100 below invoice, before incentives, saving us ~6k compared to a similarly equipped F-150 King Ranch Hybrid.

We ordered the Longhorn on 3/12, and as of yesterday it is awaiting transport to the rail yard, so we are on course for a much faster arrival than the 4-5 months we were told to expect.

So I am curious, why did you choose your Ram over the competition?

MO Rebel

Reaction score
I’ve had 2 Fords, 2 Toyotas, and a Chevy. It was time to hit for the cycle. Besides, IMO, the Ram has by far the nicest interior, and is the best looking of the bunch (although the Chevy Trailboss is a close second on exterior looks). Chevy was such a clusterf*ck with all of their chip-related deletions going on right now, and the interior just doesn’t compare to the Ram. When I found out I could get the Hemi without auto stop/start, that sealed the deal. I took delivery of my Rebel on 4/5/22 and have about 250 miles on it so far. I’ve already replaced the stock muffler with something a little more noticeable. She does seem to be a thirsty little girl, but I’m 100% satisfied so far.

9B3CF6D0-DF95-4481-831C-9435153E4A4B.jpeg

Terrible_One

Reaction score
I chose a RAM almost solely on the interior. It was leaps and bounds better than the competition from 2019-2021, and the rest of the manufacturers finally caught on that we like comfort and tech in our trucks. I also think the RAM is the best-looking full size truck with way more customization options and trims.

eerattler

Reaction score
I'm a long time Jeep guy, so I was pre-disposed to the brand. That said when I was ready to sell my Jeep and get a truck, I looked at all of the major brands and found the interior lacking options lacking. RAM is just a more capable truck right now.

Last edited:

gbledsoe3

Reaction score
Likewise as others have stated: interior, overall look, value for price. Also, my son has a 2019 Laramie, which really piqued my interest. So I ordered my 3/29/2022.

SacRebel

Reaction score
Because my 2004 that I had for 15-years was virtually problem free. The new one has been nothing but problems.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Moving from my unicorn 2013 F150 4x2 3.5 Ecoboost Supercrew with 6.5' bed. From order to delivery was 5 1/2 weeks!

Want something easier to maneuver but didn't want to give up the big bed so went with extended cab - 15" shorter vs my F150. Honestly, if Ford's Supercab didn't have the silly rear hinged doors it would have been a tough choice. They aren't practical to have kids get in/out quickly. I really only looked at Ram because of the better reviews, interior and ride, plus GM forces $$$ trims/options to get a center console, and I could get a better deal with Affiliate Rewards vs. GM Supplier. I might have considered the new Tundra but this is the first year which I always avoid and they're impossible to get right now.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Before ordering my Ram, I've owned nothing but Nissan and Toyota trucks. I really wanted to get a 2022 Tundra, but as soon as I saw the spy photos, I knew I wasn't going to buy another Toyota.

I stopped at the local Chevy dealership and looked at the 2021 Silverado. Fortunately, I was able to check out a few trucks without interacting with a salesman. After looking at them for a few minutes, I wasn't even interested in a test drive. Horrible interior and I just don't like how they look.

Next, I checked out the 2021 F150. I really wanted a Lariat FX4. They didn't have exactly what I wanted in stock, but I was able to sample 3 different trucks to get an idea of what that truck would be like. After driving the 5.0, 3.5 EcoBoost, and the 2.7 EcoBoost, the 3.5 was the clear winner. I was so impressed with that truck, I was ready to buy one without even looking at the Ram. I sat down with the salesman to go over my list of "must haves". After entering everything in his computer, he noticed they had the exact truck in stock, except it was black instead of Leadfoot Gray that I wanted. I was ready to buy the truck, but it had sold earlier that day and their website hadn't caught up yet. At that point we looked at ordering a truck...8-10 month wait time and it might be longer. The next day I checked out what Ram had to offer.

I decided that I wanted a Laramie or Rebel Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi. I didn't know if I wanted eTorque or not. None of the local dealers had anything close to what I wanted, but they promised an 8-12 week delivery time if I ordered one. I drove 5 different Ram's; a Rebel 5.7 eTorque and 4 different variations of the Laramie 5.7. I was blown away with the interior of the Ram trucks...nothing else was close. The ride was a little better than the F150 and light years better than my 2008 Tundra. My least favorite truck was the Rebel. I really didn't like regenerative braking of the eTorque in that truck and I'm just not a fan of the Rebel grille. I tried the eTorque in a 3.21 Laramie and I liked it better than the Rebel, but I really liked the 5.7 with 3.92 gears without eTorque the best.

The next day, I took the wife along to check out the F150 and the Ram, to see what she thought. I didn't tell her which truck I was favoring, because I wanted to get an unbiased opinion. Just like me, she thought the Ram was the better truck, although I thought the two were closer than she did. The next week, I ordered my truck and 10 weeks later it was delivered. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me it was mostly about suspension & drivetrain. F150 with the 5 liter was cheaper but a bit light for my towing plans. Silverado/Sierra forced a step up to big block engine to get 2 range 4wd. And both have leaf spring rear, which means spring wrap objectionable for towing. Lack of stop/start was just icing on the cake.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interior comfort/tech and ride quality. eTorque system was big, too, after I test drove one with it.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the 3.6 liter V6 engine in February of 2014. I have put over 420,000 miles on it with no real problems at all during my ownership of this vehicle. So when it came time to replace it - Why would I consider anything else ???
I will say that during the last 2 years I stopped relying on the truck for my daily commute. I was leery of the reliability with all the miles on it, so for the last two years, I probably only put 10 or 12,000 of those miles. I did brakes twice, New tires 4 times plus the original set, plugs once, replaced radiator after 350,000 and a water hose about 30,000 miles later. That is about it. That truck doesn't owe me a penny.
Like I said.... why would I consider anything else ?

Grimgreg

Reaction score
I wanted a Hemi since being a kid in the 70s. I was a Nissan guy for years, but they have been junk since the merger with Renault (my last Nissan was an 03 still pre merger designs). After a year of one issue after another with a near 20 year old truck, I started shopping.
I hate Ford, always have, so would never buy one. Nissan was out, obviously. Toyota was in the running when I started looking, the 2021 Tundra was a decent truck, that new thing is a hideous pile of awful. Chevy is not the most dependable any more, the outside looks are meh and the insides are dated. Ram looks damn good, is very comfortable inside, well updated, and has a Hemi.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My top 3 items for Ram

1) 5.7L without stop/start
2) air suspension
3) interior quality, size & comfort

6.2L Denali had a lot going against it: 24-gallon gas tank, DI and ESS.

New Tundra wasn’t out yet, but glad I didn’t wait. What a disappointment.

The F-150 has great specs on paper, but the interior is crap and has ESS.

What I really wanted was a Ram 2500 but we just couldn’t get comfortable in the 4th Gen cab and going Mega Cab means adding 17” of length

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Before ordering my Ram, I've owned nothing but Nissan and Toyota trucks. I really wanted to get a 2022 Tundra, but as soon as I saw the spy photos, I knew I wasn't going to buy another Toyota.

I stopped at the local Chevy dealership and looked at the 2021 Silverado. Fortunately, I was able to check out a few trucks without interacting with a salesman. After looking at them for a few minutes, I wasn't even interested in a test drive. Horrible interior and I just don't like how they look.

Next, I checked out the 2021 F150. I really wanted a Lariat FX4. They didn't have exactly what I wanted in stock, but I was able to sample 3 different trucks to get an idea of what that truck would be like. After driving the 5.0, 3.5 EcoBoost, and the 2.7 EcoBoost, the 3.5 was the clear winner. I was so impressed with that truck, I was ready to buy one without even looking at the Ram. I sat down with the salesman to go over my list of "must haves". After entering everything in his computer, he noticed they had the exact truck in stock, except it was black instead of Leadfoot Gray that I wanted. I was ready to buy the truck, but it had sold earlier that day and their website hadn't caught up yet. At that point we looked at ordering a truck...8-10 month wait time and it might be longer. The next day I checked out what Ram had to offer.

I decided that I wanted a Laramie or Rebel Night Edition, 5.7 Hemi. I didn't know if I wanted eTorque or not. None of the local dealers had anything close to what I wanted, but they promised an 8-12 week delivery time if I ordered one. I drove 5 different Ram's; a Rebel 5.7 eTorque and 4 different variations of the Laramie 5.7. I was blown away with the interior of the Ram trucks...nothing else was close. The ride was a little better than the F150 and light years better than my 2008 Tundra. My least favorite truck was the Rebel. I really didn't like regenerative braking of the eTorque in that truck and I'm just not a fan of the Rebel grille. I tried the eTorque in a 3.21 Laramie and I liked it better than the Rebel, but I really liked the 5.7 with 3.92 gears without eTorque the best.

The next day, I took the wife along to check out the F150 and the Ram, to see what she thought. I didn't tell her which truck I was favoring, because I wanted to get an unbiased opinion. Just like me, she thought the Ram was the better truck, although I thought the two were closer than she did. The next week, I ordered my truck and 10 weeks later it was delivered. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

I still miss my 2013 w/ the 3.5. It had downpipes, intake, full exhaust, and was tuned. It was putting down 375/500 to the wheels. It pulled like a diesel and surprised some pretty decent cars from a stoplight. 4x4 launches were real neck snappers. My favorite of all my trucks (at least so far).

C9A848F1-CBCB-4FBB-B99B-5A2764512ACE.jpeg

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I get bored every 3-4 years and want something different. Loved my 2015 2.7L Ecoboost F150, great truck, but it was a mid-level XLT and just wanted something new and better equipped.

I honesty had an indifferent feeling of how the (then) all-new RAMs looked, but local dealer was advertising big end of quarter discounts on new RAMs and thought it was worth a look. Nice interiors, but not really impressed until I saw a lone red Rebel sitting in a sea of White, greys and black trucks. It was shocking to me how beautiful the truck was in person, first time I've seen a Rebel up close and instantly fell in love.

Factor in the sharp looking ruby red interior trim and 25% off MRSP and I was buying one that day. Another big reason was I loved the sound of the engine and so far, it's getting to be 3 years now and I haven't gotten bored yet. Normally I get a new vehicle every 3 or 4 years, but this is the first time in a long time I will keep it. This truck is essentially perfect for me and what I want, has been flawless and it's just me.

d3sarius

Reaction score
The only full-size truck that works with Comma.ai’s OpenPilot right now.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I switched to Dodge back in 94 after filing a lawsuit against FMC and haven't found a reason to buy anything else since. I've owned 8 Dodge Trucks since and logged over 750k miles with no major issues to speak of.

The fact that RAM has developed into the product that it is today just furthers my decision to stay loyal. Looking forward to seeing Hybrid and electric models in the near future.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Best looking truck IMO, best interior, best pricing (at least in 2019 when I bought mine - $15k under MSRP.) Always been a Ram fan ever since I started watching Walker, Texas Ranger and Chuck Norris’s decked out Ram.
Been super happy with my 2019 Bighorn, just a couple of minor issues that were quickly taken care of under warranty. She’s at 29,000 miles now and I couldn’t be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread