5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why can’t I fill up all the way? Stops 3 gallons short

Hokie-ram

Reaction score
I have a 2022 with 4k miles and it started doing this around 3k miles.

I can’t put gas all the way. It always stops at around 90%.

What the heck is wrong with the tank??
Is there a solution ?

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The range on my 33 gallon tank can be at zero and I can still only put 28-29 gallons in. Obviously it’s far from empty. I don’t mind having that reserve not accounted for. I’ll sweat a little less when running low trying to find a good gas station when traveling.

Hokie-ram

Reaction score
I’m not literally saying I can put in 20 gallons. It stops about 2-3 gallons short of 23 gallons, so I can usually only put in about 17 gallons.

So at a given moment In time my tank only has about 20 gallons immediately after a fill up.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m not literally saying I can put in 20 gallons. It stops about 2-3 gallons short of 23 gallons, so I can usually only put in about 17 gallons.

So at a given moment In time my tank only has about 20 gallons immediately after a fill up.
That's just incorrect.

Did you drive your truck until it turned off and you had to get towed to the gas station?

A 23 gallon tank takes 23 gallons.

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only way to know for sure is to drive it until it stops. Carry around a 5 gallon tank to get you to a gas station. With that said, 23 gallons aint much range on these things which is why I went with a 33 gallon tank.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Only way to know for sure is to drive it until it stops. Carry around a 5 gallon tank to get you to a gas station. With that said, 23 gallons aint much range on these things which is why I went with a 33 gallon tank.
Yep, gonna do the upgrade to it this summer.

6of36

Reaction score
From lurking around different topics on the forum, I have picked up that you need to do like it says on the pumps, and stop filling when the pump quits. I used to always run it up sometimes a whole dollar to hit a round number. I have picked up on here, if you over fill. fuel runs back town the vent tube, and clogs the vent. You will start having problems filling where the pump stops every gallon or two. The line then has to be removed and cleaned.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
From lurking around different topics on the forum, I have picked up that you need to do like it says on the pumps, and stop filling when the pump quits. I used to always run it up sometimes a whole dollar to hit a round number. I have picked up on here, if you over fill. fuel runs back town the vent tube, and clogs the vent. You will start having problems filling where the pump stops every gallon or two. The line then has to be removed and cleaned.
I had that problem from the factory. People have posted getting the line cleaned and the problem came right back. There is no current fix except to keep replacing tanks over and over.

Users who are viewing this thread