5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why aren't there a lot of canopies on trucks out there?

JC4041

Reaction score
Off topic but is that a flag tint on your back window? Does the window operate with that?

Just vinyl stickers from my buddy Jason (J.T. Graphics & Design on facebook). Windows work like normal. I have a set for the new truck, just haven't put them on. Had them on the wife's Durango too.

1633216305785.jpeg

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a hard folding cover, can keep stuff covered or open it up to haul tall items. I prefer the pickup truck lines, a cap kind of makes the truck look like more of an SUV but it's personal taste.

JBV

Reaction score
i'm with you a canopy is a must for me and eminently practical. however, there are times an open bed would be more desirable. i need it for car topping canoes and kayaks and for lockable dry storage for all kinds of gear. when the new Ram comes, i'll also be able to sleep back there (6 4 box) on occasion as needed. it's going to be a massive vehicle and it will be a real adjustment for me. crew cab, long box with canopy. the cap is already sitting waiting to be installed and has been there for 3 months, while i wait for the truck. the cap is cement grey, and the truck will be patriot blue. i hope it looks as good as i imagine. i wanted a change from a matching canopy and i didn't want it to look like a massive SUV.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m waiting firm a canopy/topper that accommodates the digital rear view camera. The unit sucks out further than the stand CHMSL so there isn’t one available for my 2021 yet. And it would be nice if Leer or someone came out with a canopy/topper that had a camera in the back that would connect to the digital rear view mirror in order to extend the functionality. As it is now, installing a canopy/topper will render the digital rear view mirror useless by blocking it making it non-functional.

Rexx

Reaction score
Canopies look terrible on trucks imo. My dad always had them on his trucks when I was growing up - I didn’t like them then and I certainly don’t like them now.
Between a tonneau cover and an open bed there’s never been anything I’ve wanted to haul securely with my truck that I haven’t been able to.

yellowboy

Reaction score
Don't get it - who the hell cares what it looks like ? - I'm not in love with my truck, I don't have a name for it or sleep in it at night. A caps purpose is to securely cover items that won't fit in cab or may not be practical to put in it. My truck is not a summer dress or Sunday bonnet - it's a vehicle that gets me from point A to point B. THAT'S IT !

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't get it - who the hell cares what it looks like ? - I'm not in love with my truck, I don't have a name for it or sleep in it at night. A caps purpose is to securely cover items that won't fit in cab or may not be practical to put in it. My truck is not a summer dress or Sunday bonnet - it's a vehicle that gets me from point A to point B. THAT'S IT !
Cool story, if I'm spending $50k+ on a personal vehicle it's gotta be pleasing to the eye.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of bed caps. Anything in the front of bed, you have to crawl in to get. Can't lean over the side to get things. And anything I might need to haul that won't fit under my roll up tonneau, will fit with tonneau rolled up. As for keeping it dry, if needed, a tarp will do

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of bed caps. Anything in the front of bed, you have to crawl in to get. Can't lean over the side to get things. And anything I might need to haul that won't fit under my roll up tonneau, will fit with tonneau rolled up. As for keeping it dry, if needed, a tarp will do
Different strokes for different folks. Here in the gulf states, many of us have them for hurricane evacuation. Load the valuables in the back where they are safe and dry, and head for safer ground. A Ram with a canopy is a great hurricane evacuation vehicle.

Growing up in Nebraska, I had very little use for a canopy but in Alaska and Texas I’ve found a number of uses for them.

Rexx

Reaction score

So why do people buy sports cars? Or luxury vehicles? By your logic you probably should have bought a tradesman trim rather than the limited that’s in your signature.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Different strokes for different folks. Here in the gulf states, many of us have them for hurricane evacuation. Load the valuables in the back where they are safe and dry, and head for safer ground. A Ram with a canopy is a great hurricane evacuation vehicle.

Growing up in Nebraska, I had very little use for a canopy but in Alaska and Texas I’ve found a number of uses for them.
Had camper shells(bed caps) on family trucks growing up. They had a purpose, but seemed like we removed them more than kept them on when we wanted to use the truck as a truck. We even made a home made half shell so we could tow gooseneck trailer and had a couple seats bolted in for my sister and I to ride in.

Kaderast

Reaction score
I'm 5'6", I can't even lean over the side of a 2WD Ranger and get stuff out of the front of the bed, much less out of my 4wd Ram. I have racks on the inside to stack skis, tubs for kids gear, and a pole with a hook to grab the stuff that slides to the front.

Additional benefit to having a topper, for those of us in the mountains where it snows 524 days a year, stuff always stays dry and unfrozen in the bed.

jj888

Reaction score
I'm 5'6", I can't even lean over the side of a 2WD Ranger and get stuff out of the front of the bed, much less out of my 4wd Ram. I have racks on the inside to stack skis, tubs for kids gear, and a pole with a hook to grab the stuff that slides to the front.

Additional benefit to having a topper, for those of us in the mountains where it snows 524 days a year, stuff always stays dry and unfrozen in the bed.
These are all great points. I am also only 5'6" so I can't reach over the sides either. I do like the idea of the rollup tonneau as if you are going to the grocery store or going on vacation, bags and luggage could easily fit under it and if you need something taller, it rolls up easily. But I went camping this summer and had a couple of bikes in the back (I pull a trailer so a rack won't work) along with some gear and while I could have arranged most of the gear to fit under a tonneau, it would have needed to be open for the bikes. And while that happened to be a sunny day where we made no stops on the way, there are times when it rains or we make a stop on the way and I would not want to just leave the truck parked somewhere with the bed open and all my stuff back there. Like you, while I don't live in the mountains, I live in the NW and go up to the mountains since they are only an hour away so I can imagine that would be nice for skis just like I would get in the back of my old SUV to get dressed and stuff to go skiing. Someone made a valid point about the looks too. I do agree I like the looks of it better without, but I can't sacrifice function for fashion. Let's face it, I am in my 40's and a dad now lol. And then there is the potential dog factor that I didn't even think about. I was kind of hoping to get by without one but after reading all of your reasons, I think one may really benefit me. I appreciate all of the comments!

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I've never owned a truck with a lid (cap, topper, shell, canopy, et al), but I've owned a '78 K5 Blazer, and granted with the lid on, everything in the back was pretty much inaccessible unless you climbed in to get it. I've always had a tonneau cover of some fashion for my trucks (whether soft roll-up, or my new folding hard cover), and I like the way they look, in addition to keeping the bed free of debris and dry. If I need to haul something big, I fold the cover out of the way - easy as that.

As a kid, I enjoyed the Hell out of riding in the back of various trucks - with lids, campers, or open bed... made no difference to me. Never had any issues. I think people were better drivers back then, to be honest (less distractions, too). Life was a lot simpler then, and I know I miss it. I've camped out with a truck that had a shell on it - slept in a tent one night, and slept in the truck another. Probably would've been more comfortable in the truck if it was a full-size (I'm 6'5", so an '80 Toyota 4x4 short-bed wasn't the best fit).

As for aesthetics, I think it depends on the combination of truck and which lid is on it. I have a buddy with a maroon Raptor and a color-matched SnugTop... Bad-*** looking rig! Some of the cheaper, old-school style shells don't look right with the newer body styles. But... it's all about what works best for the owner. They definitely have their pros & cons, just like everything.

Why are aesthetics important? They just are for most people. I actually wish I didn't care about them the way yellowboy claims he doesn't. If I were one of those "basic transportation" kind of guys, I would've saved a helluva lot of money over the years driving plain vanilla toads rather than the cool cars & trucks I've owned.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I slept in mine last night...:D
RTT AC.jpg

CanRebel

Reaction score
I don't see many of them around anymore. But when I was younger.
They were everywhere. My own view. I think SUV kind of took over that.

I do recall going camping with relatives. Uncle had one of those on his Big GM Truck, towing large trailer.
And myself, and other 'kids' were sitting in the back for many hours. Their two dogs were in the front :)
It was so hot back there, sitting on truck bed bouncing around.
We went few thousand KM's back there. You got out for as long as it took for him fill truck and your *** back in there.

Users who are viewing this thread