5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why aren't there a lot of canopies on trucks out there?

jj888

Reaction score
I guess this is just an observation. I have had to borrow my dad's trucks in the past and he has always had caps on them. I can think of one or two times where I needed some gravel and thought it would have been nice to have an open bed so it could have just been dumped in there, but the majority of the time, it seems like no matter what I needed to haul, it would fit in there with the cap on. I see a lot of trucks out there that have tonneau covers on them and I know when I have loaded up stuff in my dad's truck before, even if we just went on vacation, it seems like some stuff would not have fit under the tonneau. So I guess that leads to the question: what to people do with their trucks?

Now, obviously if your main purpose for the truck is hauling big things, dirt, gravel, it's a work truck, pulling a 5th wheel, then of course you would need an open bed. On the other end, if you need to just haul a lot of dry items, travel a lot, go camping, etc., then it seems like a cap would be a good choice. But what about the rest of the people? All of the trucks I see on the road everyday. All of the trucks parked in the parking lot at the grocery store. Do most people just have a truck because they like trucks and use it like they would a car? If it is just the driver, or a driver in passenger, then a lot of stuff can fit in the back seat. But what about when they have their family of 4 in the truck and are going somewhere...where do they put all the stuff that needs to be safe or dry? Curious to hear everyone's thoughts and uses for their trucks.

leedial

Reaction score
I keep a bed rack on mine. I put a rooftop tent on that if we camp. If I need the bed for utility, I built a lean-to with two hoists that I can back my truck under and remove the tent and or bed rack easily.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This, folds up like a tonneau when not needed, totally waterproof for large loads. Can fold, put up, or remove in about 2 minutes

Attachments

• 20200825_165352.jpg
    20200825_165352.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 215

yellowboy

Reaction score
Have always had fiberglass cap on my trucks, I carry junk more covered than not. Golf clubs, steps for my dog, cargo box with rubber bungees, 4 way lug wrench, tow strap, etc. etc. Much better than an SUV as you don't worry about dirt, just hose it out. Currently have an ARE cap.

Attachments

• truck cap.jpg
    truck cap.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 142

Kaderast

Reaction score
I have always had toppers on my trucks and wouldn't have it any other way. Great for hauling family stuff, camping, and general every day use. Tons of space, easy to lock and secure. Yes, there are a few times a year when I wish I didn't have it so I could haul something big in the bed, but I have a few utility trailers that are easy enough to hook up and make it work.

Full disclosure, trucks look way better without the topper. Adding the cap gives your truck the "I'm a dad/family man, functionality is much more important than looking cool this point in my life" look.

ldoh

Reaction score
Two negatives for me are richly priced and color matching. And then I tried to price an ARE and it was endless up-sell questions minus asking about paint color and in the end no price. They wanted contact info to send a quote. Oy!

Last edited:

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
The short answer is that it's a big world with lots of individuals who buy what suits their individual needs. Thankfully we live in (or at least did live in until March 2020) a country with a strong free market, capitalist system that provides something for just about every want or need.

As for me, a camper top would never work. You can't put an ATV in the bed with a camper top, nor can you dump a load of mulch in the bed, nor carry a pallet of sod. A camper top seems appealing to me at times, but I've never needed to put more "dry" cargo in the bed than could be covered with a tonneau cover; and the topper just wouldn't allow me to do many of the things I need to do throughout the year.

When my kids were here and we vacationed we took my truck, and everything a family of four needed for a weeks vacation at the beach or in the mountains would EASILY fit in the bed under a tonneau cover. I've never run out of room with a tonneau cover.

So in my case a camper top would be an unnecessary, expensive, and very inconvenient addition to my truck. Obviously that's not the case for others, and I'm glad we all have the ability to choose.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have one for our 1996 F150 and have almost never used it. It's extremely rare that i am carrying something that can't be protected by my tonneau cover. Those of you who have one on a 5'7" bed, do you know what they weigh?

I remember my grandfather, who was otherwise a smart guy, trying to back a riding mower out of his truck with the top on and giving his head a pretty good whack when he got to the back. Only made that mistake once...

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm one of the people who prefers having a truck as a daily driver. It's very convenient because you never know when I might need to haul something to or from work that won't fit in a normal car. I don't like, want, or use a topper. I don't like how much they limit visibility. I've had them on some of the trucks I've owned in the past and hated them. I have a roll up tonneau cover and that suits my needs just fine. If I wanted an enclosed bed I'd have bought a Suburban. :D

Even if I wanted one I wouldn't be able to use one since I have a rambox bed.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Unfortunately trucks have become SUV kid haulers with a mini bed. You have to get a stripped down fleet truck to get a real bed and two doors. If you want to haul things covered all the time, a Suburban or Tahoe would work. Even jeeps, the spartan offroad kings, have become 4 door soccer mom cars. Sedans are fading fast too.

Guess I'm just a relic.

jj888

Reaction score
I have always had toppers on my trucks and wouldn't have it any other way. Great for hauling family stuff, camping, and general every day use. Tons of space, easy to lock and secure. Yes, there are a few times a year when I wish I didn't have it so I could haul something big in the bed, but I have a few utility trailers that are easy enough to hook up and make it work.

Full disclosure, trucks look way better without the topper. Adding the cap gives your truck the "I'm a dad/family man, functionality is much more important than looking cool this point in my life" look.
Yes...definitely a good point. They do look much better without! I guess there are some that look nicer and more sleek than others, but overall still look nicer without. Decisions...decisions.....

jj888

Reaction score
Have always had fiberglass cap on my trucks, I carry junk more covered than not. Golf clubs, steps for my dog, cargo box with rubber bungees, 4 way lug wrench, tow strap, etc. etc. Much better than an SUV as you don't worry about dirt, just hose it out. Currently have an ARE cap.
That is actually something I didn't think of. We don't have a dog yet but plan to get one eventually. I know many dogs ride up in the cab but with 2 kids in the back seat, it might get a little crowded with a big dog in there too. When I was a kid, the dog seemed to be very happy laying in the back of the truck under the canopy with plenty of room to stretch out on his bed. Plus then I won't have to clean out hairs all the time :)

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Unfortunately trucks have become SUV kid haulers with a mini bed. You have to get a stripped down fleet truck to get a real bed and two doors. If you want to haul things covered all the time, a Suburban or Tahoe would work. Even jeeps, the spartan offroad kings, have become 4 door soccer mom cars. Sedans are fading fast too.

Guess I'm just a relic.
Yeah. I see 4 doors, 2 big leather bench seats with seatbelts for six, a thirsty V8, and a five foot bed with a tonneau cover and I see an updated 1971 Chrysler Imperial.

yellowboy

Reaction score
That is actually something I didn't think of. We don't have a dog yet but plan to get one eventually. I know many dogs ride up in the cab but with 2 kids in the back seat, it might get a little crowded with a big dog in there too. When I was a kid, the dog seemed to be very happy laying in the back of the truck under the canopy with plenty of room to stretch out on his bed. Plus then I won't have to clean out hairs all the time :)
DOG STEPS ! No offense but a dog does not belong in the back of a truck ! Not loose --maybe crated up againt the back of the bed if you don't have room inside. Mine rides on the back floor. Would you let your kids ride back there ? Nothing to stop them from hitting the cab at 70 MPH is there ? Every time I see a redneck driving around with a dog in the back of a truck I want to ''''''''''''''''''''''''''$#@%!!!!

Last edited:

JC4041

Reaction score
DOG STEPS ! No offense but a dog does not belong in the back of a truck ! Not loose --maybe crated up againt the back of the bed if you don't have room inside. Mine rides on the back floor. Would you let your kids ride back there ? Nothing to stop them from hitting the cab at 70 MPH is there ? Every time I see a redneck driving around with a dog in the back of a truck I want to ''''''''''''''''''''''''''$#@%!!!!

uhhhh most of us rode in the bed growing up, so yeah, if I still lived in my hometown I'd let my kids ride in the bed.

jj888

Reaction score
I am not talking about letting them ride back there in an open bed! I mean under a cap.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I haul dirt bikes in my truck, so a topper won't work for me. I don't like how trucks look with toppers and as others have said, I would have bought an SUV if I wanted an enclosed bed.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It takes about 30 seconds to remove my tonneau cover for storage if I happened to need the extra 6 inches of space I lose when it's folded (open). I have it so I can secure things in the bed, but I also hate the way toppers look. I've never been at the point where I needed one, and I doubt I'll ever be there 🤷‍♂️

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Yea, I agree. Dogs shouldn't be in the bed of the trucks. That is where the kids go. After all, I wouldn't want my dog to overheat in the summer or get chilly in the winter.

JC4041

Reaction score
I ran a top on mine for years (came in handy moving base to base), it was just a PITA trying to get people over to help pull it off (truck doesn't fit in the garage anymore). So I just got rid of it.

1633214899876.jpeg
1633214992843.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread