5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Air Suspension?

yup ram

Reaction score
I'm 99% sure I'm going to cancel my current truck order and re-order, now that I've heard BSM is available for the Laramie again. (and if its not, I may just go Limited) I'm also considering adding other available options as well, including air suspension. However, I'm not overly knowledgeable on their benefits other than raising the ride height for off-roading.

My question for everyone that has air suspension is, why do you have it and how does it benefit you? Does it provide a more comfortable ride? Is it helpful when hooking a trailer? Is it mainly for improved offroad clearance issues? While we're at it, I'd be curious to hear any downsides it may come with as well. Thanks in advance.

Nick57

Reaction score
I went with the air ride for a few different reasons. First I like the way it rides over the standard suspension. Second being able to lower it so when I pick my mom up for her chemo appointments it makes it very easy for her to get in and out unlike my 18 Ram that didn't have it. (never lifted that one because of this) Third the ability to lower under my trailer then put the ball up and in with out having to get out is super nice. Fourth how it auto levels itself when hauling/towing makes the driving experience soooo much nicer. Fifth since I got mine with the off-road package I was able to put 35's on it without having to do a lift or wheels. Sixth it's fun and cool as hell to watch it go up and down! lol

Bigtone

Reaction score
I traded my 2019 Laramie on a 2021 Limited mainly because of the comfort of the air ride suspension. Also, the ability to lower when loading and even washing the truck is a plus. The nicer interior and more comfortable seats also were a factor. I wish I had tried out an air suspension earlier, I might not have bought the Laramie at all.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm 99% sure I'm going to cancel my current truck order and re-order, now that I've heard BSM is available for the Laramie again. (and if its not, I may just go Limited) I'm also considering adding other available options as well, including air suspension. However, I'm not overly knowledgeable on their benefits other than raising the ride height for off-roading.

My question for everyone that has air suspension is, why do you have it and how does it benefit you? Does it provide a more comfortable ride? Is it helpful when hooking a trailer? Is it mainly for improved offroad clearance issues? While we're at it, I'd be curious to hear any downsides it may come with as well. Thanks in advance.
Air ride is nice for loading and unloading, hooking and unhooking trailers. Best of all I like it when i have a lot of weight in the box or while towing a trailer, it automatically adjusts, and the truck sits level, resulting in a much better ride, while towing! No more squatting rear end! The off road 1 or 2 would be nice if you do go off road, speed is limited in these modes, but I guess if you need to be in off road 2 you should not be going over 20 mph. Air ride is nice for lowering the truck for kids or older people to enter/exit 👍🏻 As far as a better ride empty, I really don’t think it’s much better than the standard rams??? Go drive both and you decide! Now what I see for down sides, truck is always adjusting, no big deal but you hear it and it just moves up and down on its own sometimes for no reason. I’ve read in real cold climates they have issues and also not sure how well the air ride system will hold up down the road? Then the final downfall is the added upfront cost! So I guess you need to decide if the added cost is worth the benefit that you might gain from having the air ride. I ordered my 21 Laramie sport with air ride and power running boards. I like both, but not sure I’d spend that extra money on either again, I really don’t know? Good luck in whatever you decide and enjoy your new truck! I think I payed 1000 for the power steps and 1400 for the air ride option.

Last edited:

SWFla1

Reaction score
I like mine basically because I can lower the truck and park it in my garage without hitting the antenna.

Camelot

Reaction score
Comfort. Rides really well on crappy Michigan roads. I also like the leveling part, keeps the headlights pointed where they should be under all load conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread